EL1TE

Source

Its not Oblivion engine.

Thank you, updated the first post.

+Mystic

Glad to see it isn't going to be using the Oblivion engine as it definitely was getting a bit dated. Oblivion was my first experience with the series and I can't remember how many hours I spent on it, so to say I'm looking forward to V is a bit of an understatement. :p

S00N3R FR3AK

Very boring teaser (like the rest of them shown), and I predict a delay into 2012. TES isn't a winter game

I don't think so. Bethseda has said that this would be the shortest time from announcement to release of any of their games. They clearly chose 11/11/11 for the numbers(as Friday is not a normal release day) and so I completely expect them to hit that mark.

lalalawawawa

Part of the problem is that it's hard to replicate the bugs in such huge games, they tend to be very random, so it's hard to fix what you can replicate, or never actually come across in testing.

Very random, eh? Try looking at UOP's changelog. You'll see that nothing is random. Everything can be replicated. ;)

Massiveterra

There's no way this'll get released next year

what

Surely a brand new engine on such a massive game is likely to be just as buggy as the previous one? I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for a relatively bugless game :p Looking forward to more info.

Andrew

I don't think so. Bethseda has said that this would be the shortest time from announcement to release of any of their games. They clearly chose 11/11/11 for the numbers(as Friday is not a normal release day) and so I completely expect them to hit that mark.

Well the previous 2 TES games were both slated for Winter releases and both were delayed.

Going up against GoW3 and Uncharted 3, never mind the inevitable yearly CoD, I wouldn't count on them releasing it in that window. It's popular, but not that popular to see them off.

:: Lyon ::

Need a good RPG for this holiday period!!! There is none so far except the horriblly reviewed Gothic 4

Mr. Gibs

Surely a brand new engine on such a massive game is likely to be just as buggy as the previous one? I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for a relatively bugless game :p Looking forward to more info.

Hahaha I was about to say...Bethseda's games, while fantastic, have always had ridiculous number of bugs...and that's with them licensing a known engine and modifying it to suit their needs. A brand new in-house engine? I would expect it to be buggy as hell.

The good thing, however, is that TESNEXUS exists =) So many bugs in Oblivion have been fixed by the community via unofficial patches.

Marcos_Edson

I don?t make mods myself but hope they keep the tradition to include the mod tools with the game... :)

S00N3R FR3AK

Well the previous 2 TES games were both slated for Winter releases and both were delayed.

Going up against GoW3 and Uncharted 3, never mind the inevitable yearly CoD, I wouldn't count on them releasing it in that window. It's popular, but not that popular to see them off.

GoW3 and UC3 do not share the same userbase with TES. Also remember that TES will have PCs to itself as Gears and UC will be exclusive to consoles. And did those last two TES have anything other then a time period for release or did they get exact dates like 5 has?

Massiveterra

They have to be crazy to try to compete with ME3

god.send.death

Source

Its not Oblivion engine.

Elder Scrolls games have always pushed the technology envelope in their engines and graphics. So based on past history I wouldn't expect them to re-use 4+ year old engine for this game. This isn't Duke Nukem.

Melfster

Does anybody know if Elder Scrolls will use a modified Rage engine?

yxz

Does anybody know if Elder Scrolls will use a modified Rage engine?

With id Software being owned by ZeniMax Media, and ZeniMax Media also owning Bethesda Softworks. There is some speculation that Bethesda will utilise the id Tech 5 engine for their games including the next game in the Elder Scrolls series. The problem is that id Tech 5 is not able to render Global Dynamic Lighting, meaning that a progressive day and night cycle is not possible. Therefore games like the Elder Scrolls series or any other games that want to utilise id Tech 5's ease of rendering a large open world which typically would include a day and night cycle, makes this engine unsuitable for those requirements in its current form.

http://www.giantbomb.com/id-tech-5/92-1385/

S00N3R FR3AK

Wow it can't do day and night? For a large open world games(like Rage) it seems like that would be a must.

Hedon

Personally couldn't stand Morrowind, but I found Oblivion to be much fun. Still, it had so many shortcomings that made it a bit dull to play after a while...

This. I hope it retains some Oblivion similarities, less Morrowind please.

Mr. Gibs

Wow it can't do day and night? For a large open world games(like Rage) it seems like that would be a must.

I would think so, I guess they're just going to go with a somewhat constant global environment. Or just follow in Doom 3 and make everything dark.

Andrew

GoW3 and UC3 do not share the same userbase with TES. Also remember that TES will have PCs to itself as Gears and UC will be exclusive to consoles. And did those last two TES have anything other then a time period for release or did they get exact dates like 5 has?

They had exact dates iirc. IV did anyway because they wanted it to be a 360 launch title and ended up missing it by 5 months.

As for user bases, doesn't really matter imo, but we'll see come 11/11 ;)

+Audioboxer

Pretty pumped (Y)

I was floored by Morrowind when it first came out, Oblivion not so much.

• 2 weeks later...
alphaomegainfinity

Ah the thought of the next Elder Scrolls game just thrills me. Oblivion IMO was one of the best RPGs I have played and I liked it better than Morrowind. Oblivion's success actually brought up Fallout 3's evolution. Definitely one of the most anticipated games of 2011.

Richard Hammond

I dont know why people praise Oblivion so much.

Dont get me wrong i really loved the main storyline and all the sidequests were for the most part interesting and they didnt feel tacked on for the sake of adding extra content.................but..................... while it looked pretty for a game of its time the world was empty, there was no incentive to go exploring the cookie cutter/copy and paste dungeons they were all the same and you rarely fought anything interesting or found any rare or interesting artefacts or items and dont get me started on the Oblivion gates where you didnt have to fight anything just run to the end ignoring all the enemies and pick up the sigils. I enjoyed Shivering Isles more than i did Oblivion.

I hope now that theyve got the world creation down to a 't' that they try and flesh out the world and give all these points of interest at least some incentive to explore.

dipsylalapo

I think Oblivion was awesome because I don't really have anything else to compare it to, it was my first proper RPG (I think, nothing else really jumps out to but I could be wrong)

I actually enjoyed most aspects of the game, apart from the Oblivion gates. I really hope that this one has dragons, it would be so cool :D