Just did a few 5v5 games, the particular game lasted 50 or so minutes (teams were pretty well balanced) but my team won, I ended up getting 295 IP (counting the 150 bonus, so 145 without the bonus)....thats almost triple my average bot games, and while it was a longer average (bot games only last around 40-45 minutes), it wasn't that much longer that I could have played 2 bot games in that time (which would have only given me the same if I got about the highest I normally got before hand).

I also lost a game (we actually surrendered, we were getting stomped) at around 35 minutes, and I still got 74 IP, which is at the very upper limit of what I used to get for winning 5v5 bot matches in around the same time.

Not sure what the reduction for bot games is, but past a certain level, you seem to get half the IP and experience for winning games as you do vs players, and roughly the same as winning a bot game if you lose vs players. Not to mention experience is similar to the IP game (double in the 2 matches I played so far, 1 loss 1 win).....meaning I can lvl and get more masteries quicker. Currently I just hit lvl 12, and at 1150 XP to level, 100-150 per match is going to be a ton better than 40-70 given that they take roughly the same time.

Might go ahead and grab garen, at the vs player rates it won't be too bad to farm it up....including the daily bonus I'm looking at at least 450 IP a night (probably more, 450 is a minimum), which is a new 3150 champion each week at the least. Currently at about 5 nights at my minimum to unlock my next 3150 champ (currently have enough IP to unlock one, not sure who I want though).

One thing I did notice though, is vs humans is definitely more difficult overall. Bots are extremely efficient (making champs like Shen, who depend on timing of their skills to save allies, really shine), but humans are much more logical, they actually check the bushes and everything before running past them (not to mention bots don't hide in bushes, and human opponents do).

I want an overall decent champion...not looking for top kills or weak early game for OP late game, or vica-versa, looking for a somewhat balanced throughout the game champion....which I think may fit garen well (tank with great health regen, and decent skills.....a powerful AoE with a small cooldown and a hard hitting finisher skill), he just seems overall powerful, but I don't know half the champions in the game. :x

Just did a few 5v5 games, the particular game lasted 50 or so minutes (teams were pretty well balanced) but my team won, I ended up getting 295 IP (counting the 150 bonus, so 145 without the bonus)....thats almost triple my average bot games, and while it was a longer average (bot games only last around 40-45 minutes), it wasn't that much longer that I could have played 2 bot games in that time (which would have only given me the same if I got about the highest I normally got before hand).

I also lost a game (we actually surrendered, we were getting stomped) at around 35 minutes, and I still got 74 IP, which is at the very upper limit of what I used to get for winning 5v5 bot matches in around the same time.

Not sure what the reduction for bot games is, but past a certain level, you seem to get half the IP and experience for winning games as you do vs players, and roughly the same as winning a bot game if you lose vs players. Not to mention experience is similar to the IP game (double in the 2 matches I played so far, 1 loss 1 win).....meaning I can lvl and get more masteries quicker. Currently I just hit lvl 12, and at 1150 XP to level, 100-150 per match is going to be a ton better than 40-70 given that they take roughly the same time.

Might go ahead and grab garen, at the vs player rates it won't be too bad to farm it up....including the daily bonus I'm looking at at least 450 IP a night (probably more, 450 is a minimum), which is a new 3150 champion each week at the least. Currently at about 5 nights at my minimum to unlock my next 3150 champ (currently have enough IP to unlock one, not sure who I want though).

One thing I did notice though, is vs humans is definitely more difficult overall. Bots are extremely efficient (making champs like Shen, who depend on timing of their skills to save allies, really shine), but humans are much more logical, they actually check the bushes and everything before running past them (not to mention bots don't hide in bushes, and human opponents do).

I want an overall decent champion...not looking for top kills or weak early game for OP late game, or vica-versa, looking for a somewhat balanced throughout the game champion....which I think may fit garen well (tank with great health regen, and decent skills.....a powerful AoE with a small cooldown and a hard hitting finisher skill), he just seems overall powerful, but I don't know half the champions in the game. :x

If you want to play with me and my friends you can add me. Name is Emn1ty and I'm all for helping out newer players (even though technically I'm pretty new as well).

If you want to play with me and my friends you can add me. Name is Emn1ty and I'm all for helping out newer players (even though technically I'm pretty new as well).

*wall of text*

Will do if I can remember next time I log on (just finished playing for the night).

Went ahead and unlocked Garen....played a few bot games with him to get the hang of it. He is beast when played well, in the bot games, I went up against Trundle and another bot (equal lvl and all) 1v2, lasted long enough to kill Trundle then escape them (and for all my other characters, trundle is a pain to kill normally). His ultimate hits really hard though. Something like 500 base, and an additional 1 per 2.5 health missing....so even only down by 1k health, thats 500 + 400 magic damage, generally speaking I wait until they are half down and it does enough to either flat out kill them or get them very close to death (1-2 normal hits away).

Even against players I feel I did better playing Garen than I did as Yi or Nasus earlier. I didn't do as good vs players obviously, but its a new champion to me (unlock Yi, my first unlock, or Nasus, my 2nd) so I am still learning a bit on how to build him. Another problem is I am unfamiliar with many champions so I have a hard time building armor against them, best method I've found is to check what they are building (AD or AP, attack is generally physical dmg and AP is generally magic, though not always) and counter it for my defensive items. I usually get very few offensive items, but Garen doesn't really need them, even without any items hit ultimate hits as hard as I listed above, and his Q skill generally hits for 100 base + 1.2 x AD which is pretty hard all things considered (I usually end games around 120 AD, so 100 + 144 isn't horrible considering I get a speed boost with it and it silences targets). So far, just 1v1 (against players) I tend to be able to take them down pretty easily, and 1v2 I can handle long enough to survive (even with getting knocked around, stunned and slowed), 1v3 I can last longer than most but not very long unless I'm close enough to a tower to get away. In group fights though I just dominate, run in and hit my whirlwind on everyone, then my shield buff (36% dmg reduction for 3 seconds) and I can usually harass them enough for my team mates to do some major damage.

Overall I feel Garen was a good buy, not many people use him but if you know what your doing he is a really good pusher (he can take some hits from turrets too, enough for a more damaging champ to take it out before he needs to worry about his health). His regen is insane though, I normally get 80 HP per 5, then 0.35% of HP every second, if I am not attacked for 7 seconds another 0.5% of HP every second. With around 3k health (the average by the time I get the total of 0.83% HP per second), thats around 41 health healed per second when not being attacked, or 27 per second while being attacked. Its generally enough that I can take on 3-5 mobs at a time and not even feel it, and more than enough to heal the damage a single champion does to me by the time he respawns, all with 0 lifeleech too.

I'll probably still try other champs, I am not 100% happy with Garen (for the damage he does, he seems to go down way too fast in group fights, though he seems to focus more on healing without potions or anything between fights, allowing him to take longer before he has to go back to base), but I feel I finally have a decent champion for general things, he can take on mobs without a problem, tank well enough for the party to dish out the damage, and do just enough damage to enemies to be annoying (or even 1-hit kill enemies below half health) and he has really good speed (437 with the way I build him, before using ghost or his Q skill which makes him like 20% faster for a short time), but his damage output definitely lacks from what I am used to....but I'm tired of being useless until late game. I need to unlock Kat next I think, or another assassin (though I haven't really played any others, wasn't happy with Akali at all, not impressed by Eve as my friend has her, didn't get a chance to try Kennan last week)....something that can pick off solo enemies. I've found that most of the time in standard 5v5s against players, enemies only really stick together when they are either coordinated (which walked all over my team in my first 5v5 against players), or my team is in a big group that they need to repel. 80% of the time they seem to wander in groups of 1 or 2, which would be great for a decent assassin class.

^Troll?

Vayne is an assassin you can almost get first blood at level 4 each time. She is a hero killer.

Vayne *can* be an assassin (as can any ranged character) - however, that is a very untraditional way to play ranged characters (and certainly isn't a recommended n00b stratagem). Instead, I see Vayne as primarily a harasser/garbage-collector (at least if you're a n00b) - thin down the other side's minions (especially if you've got Volley Fire charged up past even level 8) with the odd Hawkshot (more to harass/aggro than to take out completely; however, don't pass up the chance to snipe if you can do a takedown with minimum risk).

The reason I don't recommend the *assassin* strategy for Vayne (and definitely not for n00bs to LoL) is her lack of defense - if you blow the shot, you could well find yourself in a world of hurt. There are doubtless characters with better range (Vayne's own range is only average), however, because of Silver Bolts and Volley Fire, Vayne makes for a great starter n00b ranged character - when employed the right way.

Her role is in fact primarily an assassin, I really don't know where you're getting your information from. I haven't played since Vayne came out but even I know that.

819309138.png

Champs like Mordekaiser and Cho'gath are more suited to the task you're talking about and Vayne is nothing like either of them. And point in fact, the signature of assassins is low defense and high offense.

Her role is in fact primarily an assassin, I really don't know where you're getting your information from. I haven't played since Vayne came out but even I know that.

<snip>

Champs like Mordekaiser and Cho'gath are more suited to the task you're talking about and Vayne is nothing like either of them. And point in fact, the signature of assassins is low defense and high offense.

For the most part yes, Vayne was designed to be an assassin, but look at Master Yi (just a quick example), he is also a carry class and honestly he has some really nice snowballing skills. His skill recharge if he kills someone, plus he attacks ultra fast and is immune to slow during his ultimate (which lasts for 12 seconds). Thats 12 seconds of +40% movement speed, +80% attack speed, and immunity to ALL slowing effects that FULLY RECHARGES when you kill an enemy. If that is not an assassin skill, I don't know what is. Run in, throw on Wuju Style + Highlander = dead opponent in less than 12 seconds UNLESS its a tank with really high health and/or defense (such as chogath, but really, assassin characters cant effectively kill a tank either).

So look at it this way, Vayne is labeled both Carry and Assassin, it doesn't mean she makes a great assassin, Master Yi on the other hand is only labeled Carry and NOT labeled Assassin, yet his skills allow him to be a great assassin. Stack AD, and anything but a tank will fall and all your skills will recharge, setting you up for the next target.

Just because Riot labeled a class X doesn't mean that is what the class is best at. In the case a Vayne, she can be an assassin, but she IMHO doesn't have the raw power that a Master Yi assassin would have. She is a bit better at chasing an enemy, and bursting a target, but Yi generally does more constant damage compared to the burst of Vayne. Honestly though there are 2 types of assassins, Burst damage and constant damage. Constant damage assassins rely on buffed autoattacks, which make them easy to play and somewhat easier to counter. Burst assassins rely on skillshots and usually have ways of disabling their opponents, but they can't take more than 2 hits and usually cannot kill more than 1 person in a short duration. Considering this is a game that is generally played 5v5, and the enemy team (unless they are stupid) generally stay together, burst assassins are much less useful unless the player is really good. Therefore hammer assesment that Vayne (for new players at least) is not a good assassin, is very much true, despite Riots labeling. Just look around on the Riot forums though, many, many people say don't follow the labeling that Riot uses. While the labels are generally close to how the class plays, they are often inaccurate.

All the assassin label really means is they have high damage with generally low armor, some form of stealth and position advantageous skills (such as Vaynes roll skill).....it doesn't mean that the character is only good at that specific thing, in fact, despite her "role" being labeled "assassin", I find her to be much more of a support/harass character. The kind of character that draws attention then backs away to annoy the enemy. Not one that picks off solo players 1 by 1...unless they are really good with her (which is unlikely considering she is still quite new).

Vayne *can* be an assassin (as can any ranged character) - however, that is a very untraditional way to play ranged characters (and certainly isn't a recommended n00b stratagem). Instead, I see Vayne as primarily a harasser/garbage-collector (at least if you're a n00b) - thin down the other side's minions (especially if you've got Volley Fire charged up past even level 8) with the odd Hawkshot (more to harass/aggro than to take out completely; however, don't pass up the chance to snipe if you can do a takedown with minimum risk).

The reason I don't recommend the *assassin* strategy for Vayne (and definitely not for n00bs to LoL) is her lack of defense - if you blow the shot, you could well find yourself in a world of hurt. There are doubtless characters with better range (Vayne's own range is only average), however, because of Silver Bolts and Volley Fire, Vayne makes for a great starter n00b ranged character - when employed the right way.

We're talking about Vayne right? I'm lost, what hawkshot? What volly? This isn't Ashe...Vayne is a hero killer. Pure and simple. Every 3 hits is dealing TRUE damage.

Vayne can be a carry or an assassin. She was originally a carry but the recent patch nerfed her down to more burst damage than sustained damage. Still like any ranged character if they have an okay amount of health they can carry easily.

Orianna has been really fun. She can be anything from support to a carry to even a tank/off tank at times. Really versatile champion with a lot of combat control.

My first game ever with Vayne when she came out.

When this is done updating a quick crap video I just threw together from one game. I would upload the entire game but it's about a 70min game and I don't have the time to go through all of it again. This vid is with the newest patch.

That was a crappy Morgana, btw.

Won't argue but they were trying to predict the the tumble.

Won't argue but they were trying to predict the the tumble.

The answer is: wait till just after, snare and make her waste it.

Just bought me Vlad, Nocturne, and Garen. Love them all. Vlad is a great pusher, Nocturne a power house, and Garen is great for tanking and sending people scattering with the swinging wirlwind. Hopefully will get some gaming in tonight, if inFamous 2 doesn't distract me too much.

We're talking about Vayne right? I'm lost, what hawkshot? What volly? This isn't Ashe...Vayne is a hero killer. Pure and simple. Every 3 hits is dealing TRUE damage.

That is *if* you hit them, and if the opponent is low on health.

Also, I've *never* had Galen or Ashe (let alone Annie) available for a match yet. I've always wound up opposing them (the exception is the tutorial match, when you are auto-assigned Galen). I don't know whether it's high ping or rotten luck, but Vayne seems to be the best of bad choices among ranged availables for level ten-minus. (And that includes co-op vs. AI, which has been my preferred match as of late.)

That is *if* you hit them, and if the opponent is low on health.

Also, I've *never* had Galen or Ashe (let alone Annie) available for a match yet. I've always wound up opposing them (the exception is the tutorial match, when you are auto-assigned Galen). I don't know whether it's high ping or rotten luck, but Vayne seems to be the best of bad choices among ranged availables for level ten-minus. (And that includes co-op vs. AI, which has been my preferred match as of late.)

Btw, his name is Garen, not Galen. Vayne is extremely good if you know how to use her. Level 10- may not really understand exactly how to build and operate her though.

Last night, I won basically every game, was a good night... But my last game, I decided to just Ashe it up. I told my friend who was lanned with me in the room, "All my ulti shots will be from across the map." He wasn't thrilled to hear that. Well, I hit 14/17 ultis :) We couldn't stop laughing. The other team was saying I was map hacking. I would literally just stand in my spawn, shoot the ulti down a lane, and end up killing a low health hero. Was great. They were asking me for my "real" alias. They didn't believe I was still just a unranked player, and thought I had a lvl 30 account under a more well known name I guess. The game played out for over an hour though. I think the kill score at the final was something like 58/52. Very close game.

If any of you are having a hard time logging into LoL its because LulzSec has DDoS'd the login servers.

SOB! Out of all the days I wanna play the damn game, it is down.. I havent played it in like a month or so, lol oh well, gotta wait it out..

SOB! Out of all the days I wanna play the damn game, it is down.. I havent played it in like a month or so, lol oh well, gotta wait it out..

The queue is long, but I was finally able to get in. But it is taking my bot game an exceptionally long time to start...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I finally caved and decided to try League of Legends tonight. As a long time HoN player since beta, and even longer time DotA player there are some things I don't like. But overall the game is fun. However, there is something I don't quite understand.

Some heroes are designated as "free to play", but you can still buy them in the store. For example, Master Yi and Ashe. What is the point of using your points to "buy" these champions if they're already free to play?

Ok, so I finally caved and decided to try League of Legends tonight. As a long time HoN player since beta, and even longer time DotA player there are some things I don't like. But overall the game is fun. However, there is something I don't quite understand.

Some heroes are designated as "free to play", but you can still buy them in the store. For example, Master Yi and Ashe. What is the point of using your points to "buy" these champions if they're already free to play?

Because they are only free for the week. Every week new champions are rotated in and out for free to play. This means that you can, at some point, try every champion before you buy them.

Every one add me - NowNudda

I play this almost every night. Hit lvl 30 a few weeks ago.

Finally finished my crit rune build, and now since Lux has taken my fancy, starting on a rune build for her.

I play with a real friend who brings his laptop over, so if you wanna join us, we are great with teamwork. But I think we need to get some sort of Vent server or something going for this to communicate with others.