[Official] CR-48 ChromeOS Laptop Shipment-Tracking

I've made a program that checks each reference number on the UPS site with a zip code to see if a package is coming. The last four numbers start at 1000 and increment from there. I probably won't release this publicly but I could scrape the city names from the pages to make a list of all cities receiving them. Would that be helpful or not?

61201?

I've made a program that checks each reference number on the UPS site with a zip code to see if a package is coming. The last four numbers start at 1000 and increment from there. I probably won't release this publicly but I could scrape the city names from the pages to make a list of all cities receiving them. Would that be helpful or not?

Looks like they only go from AAC1000001 to AAC1001983

It's actually a pretty impressive device, I thought I'd write it off as something to get your computer illiterate parents but Chrome 8 is faster on this than Chrome 9 on my Win 7 1 GHz Core 2 Duo notebook, and it maxes out at 13W vs 20W for my notebook. This thing just got the job as my main computer before 9pm when cheap electricity kicks in and I can power up the desktop.

Signed up...here's to hoping I get the chance to try one out. A lot of my computer usage as of lately has just been browsing the internet, Twitter, Facebook, and the like.

I don't have any internet-enabled mobile devices or laptops, so I'm constantly strapped to my desktop. Being given the chance to test one of these out would give me quite a bit of freedom.

I signed up on tuesday, hoping I might get one tomorrow. Probably not though. It's worth the try.

What are the chances though of a person getting one actually? Is it by chance or by the description?

a bit of both i presume

Here is a question, do they support Java (not JS) and If so can you run Minecraft on it?

It wouldn't have proper Sun Java, it's most likely have their VM which should probably run it ok (But that's assuming they provide a plugin to link it up)

Looks nice, not sure what I think though.

For it to work, most of the apps need to offer offline mode (I know some do, but not all), and they need to sort flash out (from what I have read its pretty poor atm).

Bah, with the exception of giga's (awesome) photos, I'm not able to see any of the shots because I'm at work. :(

As far as a work tool goes I'm really intrigued to see how this progresses. But for the household...hmm, I'm not so sure at the moment.

It does look beautiful though.

That video was funny, although I noticed that with each new laptop he got the logo on the back was different. Is this the same for all laptops, or was it just a feature of the video to make us understand that he was using a different laptop each time rather than the same one?

EDIT:

For it to work, most of the apps need to offer offline mode (I know some do, but not all), and they need to sort flash out (from what I have read its pretty poor atm).

I think someone in this thread mentioned 3G, so wouldn't that negate the need (or at least reduce the need) for an offline mode?

61201?

I just checked your zip code from AAC1000000 to AAC1002000 and there was nothing. Did it on my own zip code and found out someone else in my area must have received one! :(

Jailbreak that thing and turn it into a Hackintosh!

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like a matte black miniature MacBook already anyway.

Surprisingly nice looking piece of hardware, it's a shame they won't be shipped out internationally as I would love to test one

I'm thinking that the lack of an international option is due to the fact that they contracted with Verizon for the free 3G service on these, and Verizon doesn't do GSM.

I think someone in this thread mentioned 3G, so wouldn't that negate the need (or at least reduce the need) for an offline mode?

I don't know about elsewhere, but 3G in the UK is awful. And even when you do have signal, it is no where near reliable enough to be used for web apps that rely on the internet connection.

I signed up on the site days ago and still haven't gotten anything. I use Chrome regularly and I never saw this invite popup box that everybody is mentioning. Just slightly irritating..