Opera 11 is better than the latest Chrome and Firefox Nightlies

Apparently not ones that make him want to use another browser.

Of course all browsers have bugs, he was just saying that the bugs for him weren't acceptable.

So I have this problem with Opera. I'm about on the cusp of making it my main browser, but there is one mind-boggling issue that I just cannot track down.

When I want to interact on some pages (usually ones with more content on) sometimes Opera will freeze for half a second or more and not let me do anything. Mostly this happens when scrolling down a long page but sometimes when I want to select a link or type in a text frame.

This doesn't happen in any other browser I've tried, and is the one thing stopping me from using Opera more extensively. I have no clue what causes it, as I've tried running Opera with no extensions, with Windows in aero and basic, with custom third party themes and without etc etc.

Any clues?

How many tabs do you have open at once?

How much RAM do you have?

When I have 100 or more tabs open it sometimes freezes for a bit every so often.

I love oprea on the Wii, mobile devices (but have found some rendering issues with some specific sites), and on linux.

However I don't like the (pc version) of opera's interface.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Opera in many ways. I deeply used it in 2010 for couple of months, and mostly in early 2011 till March or April I think, and I felt forced to drop it as default browser because of its incompability with some webs.

I repeat, I enjoyed many of its features and its personalization and all, but I can't admit that some webpages I often visit don't work propretly so...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Firefox since 2004 (yes, back when I was in 5th grade).

I used Chrome for a while. It crashed often. It might be different now, I'll give it a second chance when I'm willing to do so.

Opera...I just...don't like it.

Downloaded the latest version.

Did some basic tweaks - filter list, NotScripts, disabled tab thumbnails, disable smooth scrolling, UI animation...

Did a test: Netbook + browser + Bethesda Forums =

Chrome: Scrolling is unbearable slow.

Opera: Scrolling is pretty damn bad.

IE9: Mediocre Performance

Firefox 7a: Scrolling the best UNLESS the mouse cursor is withing the window then Firefox 7a is worst performing browser (Rendering that "View Topic Preview" image kills Firefox performance)

EDIT:

With limited tested of 11.50, I would say that Opera is way faster compared to Chrome.

EDIT 2:

The above comparison had D2D enabled for browsers that support D2D.

How do I get CTRL-TAB to work like in Chrome and Firefox?

In Chrome and Firefox pressing CTRL-TAB switches from current tab to next tab.

In Opera pressing CTRL-TAB switching back to the first tab.

How do I get CTRL-TAB to work like in Chrome and Firefox?

In Chrome and Firefox pressing CTRL-TAB switches from current tab to next tab.

In Opera pressing CTRL-TAB switching back to the first tab.

Settings > preferences > advanced > tabs

choose cycle without showing list, or cycle in tab bar order.

I install every new build of Opera and Chrome, but I always come back to Firefox :) simply the best.

And I don't use Firefox for the add-ons, actually I don't use any add-on.

Honestly, until Opera does tab groups the way Firefox does now, I will not switch. But the moment they do, is the moment I make the switch. Firefox is so slow :s

Honestly, until Opera does tab groups the way Firefox does now, I will not switch. But the moment they do, is the moment I make the switch. Firefox is so slow :s

There's a fair amount of options in the preferences for this.

You can set it to open new tabs next to the current tab, you can change what tab is activated when you close a tab (most recent tab, next tab) ect...

Is there anything in particular opera is missing here? I haven't noticed anything (besides tab candy, which is crap compared to opera's stacks IMO)

I don't think Opera 11.50 is faster than the Firefox 7.0a2 aurora build I'm beta testing.

Plus Opera doesn't seem to handle Youtube videos well (forum discussion here)

Youtube works fine here. I haven't had any issues, even with the new cosmic panda preview. In linux, however I have all kinds of glitches/performance issues with flash that I don't get with other browsers, but youtube is actually the only site that works properly :/

One thing that is annoying me about opera right now is it doesn't work right with google+.The share/notification buttons on the black bar don't show up, unless you mask as firefox, and when you do that they don't work (when you click one it says "unsupported configuration")

One thing that is annoying me about opera right now is it doesn't work right with google+.The share/notification buttons on the black bar don't show up, unless you mask as firefox, and when you do that they don't work (when you click one it says "unsupported configuration")

"Upgrade to a modern browser?" Google can go jump off ten cliffs.

Google has been purposely sabotaging Opera for years now, every since they took over what is now google docs, they then added code that would break the site in google (except google logo's it was the only thing added to the site), it wasn't just browser snifing either, they purposely added non standard code that would break in opera. They're such a nice and non evil company.

opera blowed up when they implemented torrent and widgets... they loose so much time with these stupid things.

Yet it's still smaller and faster than everything else.

btw the widgets are html widgets and use opera's rendering. they're nothing but tiny webpages being rendered by opera.

I think Opera's UI is the best, chrome's is AWFUL..not even a 'add bookmark here' option...Opera's feel is also fast and all that..but god do i hate how it can bug out

Flash options can become unresponsible, entire tabs as well where nothing you click on works

I hate the click to activate on flash objects, and no i will not download a crack every time theres an update

The extensions still kinda suck