Mass Effect 3

ME2 on PS3 to use ME3 engine. Wonder if that'll make any kind of graphical difference, or how much of a boost that engine does for 360/PC versions as well.

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/bioware-using-mass-effect-3-engine-for-playstation-3-version-of-mass-effect-2

Jesse Houston, producer of the Playstation 3 version of Mass Effect 2, revealed on a recent Bioware podcast that the upcoming port uses the Mass Effect 3 engine. You can view his statement below:
We?ve actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and use that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3. So we took the content and the story and all the other assets that made up Mass Effect 2 and we put them in the Mass Effect 3 engine. And that?s what we are actually delivering.

Mass Effect 2 will be released for the Playstation 3 on January 18th.

Thank god it is only single player, I know why devs try to force in multiplayer aspects of games, but for 90% of releases they are just crappy.

ME2 on PS3 to use ME3 engine. Wonder if that'll make any kind of graphical difference, or how much of a boost that engine does for 360/PC versions as well.

http://www.examiner....f-mass-effect-2

You can see a short comparisons here

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2010/12/16/mass-effect-2-meeting-jacob

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2010/12/16/mass-effect-2-touring-the-normandy

From the videos, even though small, seems everything is going to be a little shinier in ME3, I'm quite happy that it looks pretty much the same minus the slight difference in lighting, always great to see a dev port a game and have actually spent some time on it.

Thank god it is only single player, I know why devs try to force in multiplayer aspects of games, but for 90% of releases they are just crappy.

You can see a short comparisons here

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2010/12/16/mass-effect-2-meeting-jacob

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2010/12/16/mass-effect-2-touring-the-normandy

From the videos, even though small, seems everything is going to be a little shinier in ME3, I'm quite happy that it looks pretty much the same minus the slight difference in lighting, always great to see a dev port a game and have actually spent some time on it.

So ps3 version of mass effect 2 is using mass effect 3 engine..yet xbox version still looks better :p

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/bioware-using-mass-effect-3-engine-for-playstation-3-version-of-mass-effect-2

From what I've seen, the only difference is with the lighting and character models (which look more detailed in the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2). I was hoping for a little more but I guess that's the best they can do given the time they made the Mass Effect 3 engine (which is a modified version of Unreal Engine 3).

Anyway, this is what the latest version of Unreal Engine 3 is capable of:

So for future developers using UE3, does this mean no more games that are brown and gray and look like everything is layered in vasoline?

You mean, Gears of War? As far as I'm aware, that's the only game that fits the description. To answer your question though, yes. BioWare has shown us what they could do with Unreal Engine 3. I can only imagine Mass Effect 3 will look amazing.

You mean, Gears of War? As far as I'm aware, that's the only game that fits the description. To answer your question though, yes. BioWare has shown us what they could do with Unreal Engine 3. I can only imagine Mass Effect 3 will look amazing.

Arkham Asylum looked like it was doused in Vasoline

And almost every shooter for the 360 and PS3 that used UE2/2.5 (with the exception of Bioshock) had the colors of an ash tray

Only someone who's trying extremely hard to look for reasons to hate a game would use the garbage reasoning above to downplay something.

"ok so wow, you're typing on a computer? this is bizarre! your typing is strangely similar to mine, heck, the font even looks the same....You're turning into me, not sure if I like where this is going. can you not be original and keep it original? having said that, i should probably focus on what you're saying rather than how similar it is to someone else, since that's what matters."

Yeah I am "trying" really hard to find reasons, when I have both previous Collectors Editions on the 360 and rating them very highly amongst some of my best games of all time... and I have nothing better to do but to do this when the game is not even out. The observations I made were from the trailer, get that in your head before trying to patronise me with those fail comments. If you have nothing to say that is constructive best nothing to say anything. And for the record I am typing on a laptop, my typing could be different, I may type faster, my font might be different and no I am nothing like you and would not want to be after reading your comments. :no:

Arkham Asylum looked like it was doused in Vasoline

And almost every shooter for the 360 and PS3 that used UE2/2.5 (with the exception of Bioshock) had the colors of an ash tray

Mortal Kombat v DC had that weird rubbery / vasoline look too.

Unreal Engine 3 is a great engine the Vaseline effect people are talking about isn't specific to that game engine just the developers using it are going for very dark scenes and when you apply a high level of dirt and grit to stone blocks with bump mapping it tends to glow like it has a layer of Vaseline over the top. You'll find this in other games that don't use the Unreal Engine and it is absent if you look at games which are bright like Rainbow Six Vegas which is based on Unreal Engine 3 but has many daylight scenes

I am so stoked for Mass Effect 3 I can't wait to play it. I might just play Mass Effect 2 over again :laugh:

Unreal Engine 3 is a great engine the Vaseline effect people are talking about isn't specific to that game engine just the developers using it are going for very dark scenes and when you apply a high level of dirt and grit to stone blocks with bump mapping it tends to glow like it has a layer of Vaseline over the top. You'll find this in other games that don't use the Unreal Engine and it is absent if you look at games which are bright like Rainbow Six Vegas which is based on Unreal Engine 3 but has many daylight scenes

I am so stoked for Mass Effect 3 I can't wait to play it. I might just play Mass Effect 2 over again :laugh:

I honestly don't hate the vaseline look, I guess I just notice it most in UE2/2.5 games. I guess art direction has a lot to do with it as well. And other "dark" games that don't have that look that use UE like Singularity look so dry and ugly.

Same here :laugh: I'm only waiting for some Ultimate Edition to play it with all the DLCs.

So for future developers using UE3, does this mean no more games that are brown and gray and look like everything is layered in vasoline?

i think i know what you're talking about but it totally reminds me of the whole bloom effect thing from years ago.

some people loved it and wanted more of it adn thought games that overused it looked better than game that didn't use it all based on it alone, while other people(like me) didn't like it all.

i think the biggest game that used bloom to the worst extent was star war battlefront. super low resolution textures with huge amounts of bloom made the game look just horrible for it's time.

but in teh case of vasoline look i don't think it's particular to UE games, and probably has more to do with the art direction of the game, along with over use of browns and greys. for some reason devs think their game will look more gritty and dark and realistic if everything is some variation of grey and brown. i can't comment on the vasoline look though because i've only seen it in videos and screenshots recently. aion player characters definitely have a rubbery/vasolineish look to them, but everyone who plays that game tends to love the game for how pretty their characters are(to them).

me1 and me2 seemed alot more colourful overall, and the art direction in me2 combined with use of graphics techniques was top notch. nothing seems to be overused but from time to time you'll just notice a great scene out of no where in less than obvious spots. if me3 continues that trend, then it'll be great imho graphics wise.

Mass Effect 2 is probably my favorite looking game using the Unreal Engine. When I first learned that ME1 used Unreal, I almost didn't believe it. Then the texture pop-ins occurred which made it more believable LOL. Bioware definitely did an amazing job customizing the engine for the game, but I credit a lot of the striking visuals to the great art direction the franchise has.

PS- this is an example of what I mean by the "vasoline" look

22921d1230962734-new-batman-arkham-asylum-screenshot-game-new-batman-arkham-asylum-screenshot-game.jpg

yeah that's what i personally call the "shiny" look. if i get your meaning right. i think devs overuse it to a great degree these days and seem to love making every thing look shiny for some reason.

i like shiny stuff to a certain extent. but not overly done. games are best with a good mix of shiny and not shiny. which i felt me2 had.

• 3 months later...
Tricia Helfer to return in Mass Effect 3

Actress Tricia Helfer has said she?s to reprise her role from Mass Effect 2 in the third act in the trilogy via her official Twitter feed.

edi_helfer.jpg

The tweet, posted yesterday, reads: ?Just finished my first voice session for EDI in #MassEffect3. Fun!?

In Mass Effect 2, EDI is the Artificial Intelligence aboard the SR2 Normandy, Shepard?s ship, and does what all good sci-fi ship AIs do ? tons of plot exposition.

Little is known about Mass Effect 3, with the only officially released media being the announcement trailer from the Video Game Awards last year.

[...]

[source:VG247]

I would've been very sad if she didn't return. Very sad. :blush:

BioWare experimenting with Dead Space-like HUD, greater enemy variation for Mass Effect 3

Ever wonder what the child of Mass Effect and Dead Space would look like? Probably, uh, pretty terrifying. (Generi-male Shep face. Necromorph baby body. Bam. Nightmares forever.)

BioWare, fortunately, seems to be taking a much more sensible approach to the question.

mass-effect-3.jpg

?That?s one of the things that I love about Dead Space; the interface? it feels really immersive. I just want to touch the hell out of those buttons. So we are still investigating ways of putting some of our HUD elements into the environment? we?ll see what we end up with,? wrote BioWare?s Brenon Holmes in a post on the developer?s official forums.

He added, however, that fancy health-displaying armor like Isaac?s is probably out-of-the-question, as things start getting confusing when you?re constantly popping from cover-to-cover.

Enemies, meanwhile, appear to be in for a more substantial shake-up ? especially when it comes to their pre-?I?m currently engaged in the act of shooting you in the face? features.

?At the start of ME3 we put together a ME2 silhouette chart? some interesting stuff came out of that. Basically, it?s very difficult to make out which enemy is which based purely on a lineup? some stand out a bit more (like Vorcha, Geth, Collectors, and the Oculus (dur, beach ball!)), but for the most part it?s difficult to tell who?s who,? said Holmes.

[...]

In case you didn't play Dead Space/Dead Space 2, the games use a holographic-like HUD. It's pretty cool and I think it would fit right in with Mass Effect 3.

Here's a screenshot:

dead_space_1.jpg

It doesn't have to be limited to an inventory. It could also be used to show a map:

dead-space-interface-shot-01.jpg

ah reapers are cool. Pumped up again for ME3 now after that latest dlc

:)

In case you didn't play Dead Space/Dead Space 2, the games use a holographic-like HUD. It's pretty cool and I think it would fit right in with Mass Effect 3.

they should leave current interface intact.

Mass Effect 3 graces next GI cover, new Shepard art hits

Game Informer?s shown off its next cover, dropping new Mass Effect 3 art and promising 12 pages of shots and information on the BioWare RPG.

me3header.jpg

Subs will get the mag in the next few days, and you can expect the entire thing to be eked out as far as humanly possible on GI?s site, as it the nature of the publications exhausting exclusive media deals.

[...]

me3cover2.jpg

I can't wait for the scans. :p