Rift MMO

But thats just the thing... The game feels like a filler. It feels like a stepping stone to bigger and larger titles. I can't help but feel that everytime I log in to essentially the same thing i've seen from MMOs in the last decade.

This is true.. the real challenge for Rift will be 2.0 and where they take it. That is one place where wow did good, their major releases brought some pretty major content/updates..

Personally, i think the "next big thing" may be something as simple as non unique shards / realms.. Blizzard is further blurrying the lines of realms - will be interesting to see how the other MMO's react. I would really love to be less concerned with shard/realm viability and have more fun playing with a huge population.. this way population curves/server popularity/realm transfers and flavor of the day servers are gone.

^ I don't mean to bash on Rift or anything as I don't really care but the points you bring up are something all WoW players are used to. Maybe not the "fun character builds that don't make you re-roll to play a similar class/spec" but that has been something that Blizzard actually removed from the game because too many new players didn't have a clue about what to do with all their talents, soooo ... wait and see.

What I mean by that was in Rift I can be a warrior with Pally/DK/Warrior playstyles simply by re-speccing. IN wow, i have to re-roll. Blizzard chose to OVER homogenize the talents while Rift chose to Homogenize the classes. With fewer classes having more choices it means you have more choice in the character you roll without having to re-roll another character. If you want to re-roll, there are only 3 others to choose from :)

Plus i really like the fact that rift doesn't go with "pure" builds to lock people in and the tank builds available make for some fun game play.. with that being said though, the community has homogenized everything into what is expected of your raid/class/spec role but that happens regardless as people min max... but at least with min/max in Rift there is a lot more choice/variety rather than the "pure" build aspect of wow.

I also think Rift is so familiar to other games that advanced specs/builds isn't that much of a learning curve that if they can keep the more advanced game style Rift could leverage wow as being a stepping something to a game a bit more robust :)

What I mean by that was in Rift I can be a warrior with Pally/DK/Warrior playstyles simply by re-speccing. IN wow, i have to re-roll. Blizzard chose to OVER homogenize the talents while Rift chose to Homogenize the classes. With fewer classes having more choices it means you have more choice in the character you roll without having to re-roll another character. If you want to re-roll, there are only 3 others to choose from :)

The one thing I wish WoW didn't do over the last year. Forcing people to spec a certain way. I miss have 50+ talent points and being able to experiment.

Or like in Vanilla WoW with elementalist mages & assas/sub rogues. Nothing scared me more than an elementalist mage that knew how to play, blastwaves and cone of colds everyyyywhere.

The one thing I wish WoW didn't do over the last year. Forcing people to spec a certain way. I miss have 50+ talent points and being able to experiment.

Or like in Vanilla WoW with elementalist mages & assas/sub rogues. Nothing scared me more than an elementalist mage that knew how to play, blastwaves and cone of colds everyyyywhere.

I definitely miss that and that is why i enjoy Rift currently..

It will be interesting to see how Rift develops through different tiers and level caps.. hopefully stat inflation won't be as ridiculous as wow was leading up to the only "Fix" for imba being spec dumbifcation

Logged in today and noticed they've announced free server transfers coming with Rift 1.3 - 1 week "Cool down" for shard transfers even allowing guilds to move. Thats pretty cool, no more nickel and dimed just play with friends even if you started on wrong servers. I'm sure it will be hectic the first week, but can't wait for the feature! Wake up some toons i haven't played just because they were on a realm i didn't know anyone on.

I think i'll start playing again once the free transfers are open. I was not a huge fan of the server i rolled on, but i don't want to reroll my 46 (or so) mage.

I keep checking this game out when I go to the store every week, and each time it gets more alluring. It seems like another WoW clone, but I'm itching for something new until Diablo 3 comes out and the only game with any replay value seems to be MMOs.

I subbed Rift. I got to level 50.

I'm not going to renew. Why?

It's the same as every other MMO out there. Now when I open Rift I am bored within 2 minutes.

There's one thing with Rift that makes it worse than the competition imo - lack of replay value. Sure, the classes are different, and there's a lot of souls - but for pity's sake there are only two starter areas. For altoholics this is the worst thing they could have possibly done.

I was hoping it would tide me over until Guild Wars 2 is out, but it's not going to.

• 2 months later...

So, I bought the game and a 1 month subscription on Saturday. I am currently only level 15, but what I have played is pretty fun. It has a very similar interface to WoW though I do find myself lost at times. I understand that there are dungeons, and raids, however I am not yet at a point where I can do them (I think the only way is to use the dungeon finder??). I also find myself only doing quests and not actually learning the game. I have the equivellant of herbalism, alchemy, and enchanting but I don't really do much with them, as the skill layout is kinda hard. I never know what I am working towards, all I know is that sometimes I unlock new options for learning, and other times I don't, and I don't know what levels give what.

From what I see (I am in a medium population PVE server) the area I am in, is pretty empty. I was in one of the main cities, but found it was full with a bunch of 50's standing around doing nothing. Is there true end game to rift? Or is it pretty much done when you hit 50. The game seems very open, yet very closed in some parts. You are not as guided in what you can and can't do like wow, but there seems less overall diversity.

So, I bought the game and a 1 month subscription on Saturday. I am currently only level 15, but what I have played is pretty fun. It has a very similar interface to WoW though I do find myself lost at times. I understand that there are dungeons, and raids, however I am not yet at a point where I can do them (I think the only way is to use the dungeon finder??). I also find myself only doing quests and not actually learning the game. I have the equivellant of herbalism, alchemy, and enchanting but I don't really do much with them, as the skill layout is kinda hard. I never know what I am working towards, all I know is that sometimes I unlock new options for learning, and other times I don't, and I don't know what levels give what.

From what I see (I am in a medium population PVE server) the area I am in, is pretty empty. I was in one of the main cities, but found it was full with a bunch of 50's standing around doing nothing. Is there true end game to rift? Or is it pretty much done when you hit 50. The game seems very open, yet very closed in some parts. You are not as guided in what you can and can't do like wow, but there seems less overall diversity.

So, I have spent a little more time learning the game. I am now level 20 (halfway to 21) I haven't played much as I haven't had a lot of time. The game is quite enjoyable for me at this point. I am learning the ins and outs of the game. Many of the questions I first had are answered.

Though the game isn't crowded, the server I am on, more often than not you will see 2-3 other players doing the same quest as you, and groups are quite plentiful.

The rifts and events are quite fun, and I've been part of quite a few of them. They can be challenging, but depending on the group and rift level can be quite rewarding.

Initially I wasn't so sure about the game, however since learning the game, and seeing the differences between it and WoW I am still liking it. There are plenty of mixed reviews, but it's got a definite positive review from me.

4 months in, I have decided that I'm not going to renew my 6 month subscription when it comes up.

Rift is just not as different from other MMOs as they wanted it to be. I haven't gotten to the level cap yet, because I find it intensely boring in the late levels.

The souls idea, while good, has fallen completely flat. Each calling has 1 or 2 souls that are worth playing, and for those the emphasis on min/maxing when grouping is...irritating.

Looks nice, feels nice the first few levels, then falls flat.

I also have a huge issue with the lack of art for the game. Buildings in different towns = same skins. Armours of same type = 2/3 different skins from 1 all the way to 48. Beastmasters and Rangers only have 1 skin for each type of pet. Same goes for necromancer, elementalists etc.

There are only 2 starting areas and 2 paths through the early zones. Repetitive hell for people who like to level alternates.

4 months in, I have decided that I'm not going to renew my 6 month subscription when it comes up.

Rift is just not as different from other MMOs as they wanted it to be. I haven't gotten to the level cap yet, because I find it intensely boring in the late levels.

Yea, I can see that, like I haven't really done everything in the game... really all I have done is quest. I can only play for a few hours at a time and not every day of the week. I do find it can be kind of a grind at times, probably more so at higher levels.

The souls idea, while good, has fallen completely flat. Each calling has 1 or 2 souls that are worth playing, and for those the emphasis on min/maxing when grouping is...irritating.

Looks nice, feels nice the first few levels, then falls flat.

The souls are confusing to be honest. Each soul grants pretty much the same skill sets, just you get a bunch of +%'s instead of one. So I have a hard time figuring out which tree to focus on, if any.

I also have a huge issue with the lack of art for the game. Buildings in different towns = same skins. Armours of same type = 2/3 different skins from 1 all the way to 48. Beastmasters and Rangers only have 1 skin for each type of pet. Same goes for necromancer, elementalists etc.

Art isn't so much an issue for me. I do enjoy seeing different things, but at the same time, I care more about how my character preforms than how I look. If something is too ugly, I can just turn off that piece or dye it.

There are only 2 starting areas and 2 paths through the early zones. Repetitive hell for people who like to level alternates.

Maybe as they add more races (??) we will see more. I agree that it could be very repetitive for altoholics, but being as I am not one.. I will make an alt likely once I hit max on this toon.

It's one of those things where Content seems to be the biggest issue. Unfortunately though, I can't really comment on things I haven't experienced. At level 20 I have just left free march and am onto the next zone.

• 1 month later...

So my wife and I picked this up again. Anyone else still playing? We play on Cruica I think it's called.

So my wife and I picked this up again. Anyone else still playing? We play on Cruica I think it's called.

Still couldn't get myself to purchase this game, even when it was for sale on Steam for 5 bucks. There's just too many F2P MMOs out there, to feed my need to grind until Guild Wars 2 is released.

Ya addon's for the game really aren't there. Honestly I don't think they should be. Not to impressed with the Riad content but it could be because I am raiding with a group of over geared players.

Do not know anyone that plays this anymore. I have never played it however, i had a bunch of friends that did.

I played it for 3 months. Got to rank 8 as a rogue (before the 1.5 patch) in pvp and quit because Trion didn't know what the hell they were doing and the game had no direction from one patch to the next. Nerfs nerfs nerfs and more nerfs all because they couldn't forsee how something they added to the game one week would affect it the next coupled with literally hour long test trials for major changes on their pts server and saying that was sufficient testing for game changing hotfixes.

All in all an awesome game that (in my opinion) was ruined in the same way Warhammer Online was. It's also worth noting that the people behind this game were the same people behind Warhammer Online, too...

Sorry for the rant. :rofl:

I played it for 3 months. Got to rank 8 as a rogue (before the 1.5 patch) in pvp and quit because Trion didn't know what the hell they were doing and the game had no direction from one patch to the next. Nerfs nerfs nerfs and more nerfs all because they couldn't forsee how something they added to the game one week would affect it the next coupled with literally hour long test trials for major changes on their pts server and saying that was sufficient testing for game changing hotfixes.

All in all an awesome game that (in my opinion) was ruined in the same way Warhammer Online was. It's also worth noting that the people behind this game were the same people behind Warhammer Online, too...

Sorry for the rant. :rofl:

Rogues got the largest buff.. Clerics got nerfed.

Rift 1.5 is pretty amazing.. Rift 1.6 looks good. For a 1.x branch, pvp is what i would expect - especially with a 51 point talent tree :)

I went ahead and re-subbed for 1year.. 40% off and with new content every 6 weeks, its hard to be bored.

If by new content you mean old cotent made harder and labeled as new. The only thing new they added into the 1.5 patch was the new experience tree thing and a warfront that you could only play for 3 days once a month (unless that changed?).

I know this game is still in it's infancy but the amount of recycled content in this game is staggering. I've never seen another game that has as much as Rift does.

Between BF3 and GW2 I don't need to play Rift, and that is Rifts problem. I wanted to keep playing but they didn't offer any reason to keep my sub. Essentially I felt that I "beat" the game as well as an mmo can be beaten. And in only 3 months. Maybe I'll give it another look in 5 or 6 months but I really doubt it will have a reason to draw players away from GW2 even then.

Also there was no reason for players who invested a lot of time into pvp like me to raid because it's clear that in the future they want to completely seperate pve and pvp despite Rift supposedly having "two paths of progression to end game". The stupid vengeance mechanic and a lot of ill-thought out knee jerk reactions to their badly implemented short-sighted patches are evidence of that.

Anyhow, I'll stop. I just felt the game wasn't for me anymore. I thought the devs were taking it in a direction I didn't care to follow.

I went ahead and re-subbed for 1year.. 40% off and with new content every 6 weeks, its hard to be bored.

I did this too, yea the Addons are still a little weak at this point. I just wanted to code a healbot style addon.

I did this too, yea the Addons are still a little weak at this point. I just wanted to code a healbot style addon.

let me know if you need any help! would love to see healbot style addon!

If by new content you mean old cotent made harder and labeled as new. The only thing new they added into the 1.5 patch was the new experience tree thing and a warfront that you could only play for 3 days once a month (unless that changed?).

In comparison to every other mmo, rift pushes new content like crazy. 1.5 was a lot of re-balance plus new 1-2 player styled runs

I know this game is still in it's infancy but the amount of recycled content in this game is staggering. I've never seen another game that has as much as Rift does.

Re-cycling is what wow did, where previous raids and previous content are re-hashed. Re balancing level 50 content that is still level 50 content, isn't "Re-hashing" it..

Between BF3 and GW2 I don't need to play Rift, and that is Rifts problem. I wanted to keep playing but they didn't offer any reason to keep my sub. Essentially I felt that I "beat" the game as well as an mmo can be beaten. And in only 3 months. Maybe I'll give it another look in 5 or 6 months but I really doubt it will have a reason to draw players away from GW2 even then.

Also there was no reason for players who invested a lot of time into pvp like me to raid because it's clear that in the future they want to completely seperate pve and pvp despite Rift supposedly having "two paths of progression to end game". The stupid vengeance mechanic and a lot of ill-thought out knee jerk reactions to their badly implemented short-sighted patches are evidence of that.

Are you sure you're playing rift? you complain about rogues, but rogues got buffed and now don't die instantly and are somewhat OP now. Rift has TONS of "Seasonal" activities, pushes new (non re-hashed) content almost every 6 weeks and is working on pushing new features and options at breakneck speed.

of course, not everyone will be happy

Re-cycling is what wow did, where previous raids and previous content are re-hashed. Re balancing level 50 content that is still level 50 content, isn't "Re-hashing" it..

Are you sure you're playing rift? you complain about rogues, but rogues got buffed and now don't die instantly and are somewhat OP now. Rift has TONS of "Seasonal" activities, pushes new (non re-hashed) content almost every 6 weeks and is working on pushing new features and options at breakneck speed.

of course, not everyone will be happy

Where did I complain about rogues? I only said I got to rank 8 as a rogue in pvp, pre 1.5 when rogues were considered the red headed step child. I very much enjoyed the time it took me to get to rank 8, except for the all to common pre made vs pug games. I'm speaking of hotfixes pre 1.5 mostly, that showed that the Trion devs had no foresight in how changes they implement into the game will affect it down the road. Being able to do that is essential to a healthy long lived pvp game and they clearly can't do it.

And I very much disagree that making old content harder makes it new. Nope, it just makes it harder.

But like I said, I'll stop. This game, as you said wasn't for me, and we can leave it at that.