shift., Sc302, and Chasethebase added to MVC group!

The staff would like to announce the selection of three new members to the MVC group. shift., Sc302, and Chasethebase have been awarded this designation for their contributions and helpfulness to Neowin and our members. This award is voted on by all staff and MVCs and is awarded to deserving individuals twice a year. Senior staff may also select members throughout the year that are shining examples of this award.

Thanks for your help here, guys! We greatly appreciate all that you do!

I know about that bit thank you. What I don't understand is the process of picking those awarded. A lot of very helpful and contributing members still haven't gotten picked despite being around for a long time.

My point is, since this is a community, why not make this MVC program community driven, as in, every month or two, the community itself decides which member(s) have been the most helpful, contributing.

Just a suggestion.

I know about that bit thank you. What I don't understand is the process of picking those awarded. A lot of very helpful and contributing members still haven't gotten picked despite being around for a long time.

My point is, since this is a community, why not make this MVC program community driven, as in, every month or two, the community itself decides which member(s) have been the most helpful, contributing.

Just a suggestion.

could setup a nomination process for MVC nomination then for users to nominate other users that meet the criteria? just throwing the idea out :)

I can understand that, probably best to raise this as its own topic though and then it doesnt take away from the members that got the MVC this time. :)

Congrats guys.

However, I still have no idea how the MVC program works. A little more transparency would be welcome. (Y)

This overview of the MVC program has been posted in the Site Announcement section ever since the program was started.The awards are voted on by staff and current MVCs. We vote twice a year after members are nominated. We vote as a group and it is no one's single decision.

Thanks for your idea. I will forward it for consideration!

One or two months is too frequent.

I should also point out that with the re-introduction of reputation points for the technical forums, there is a possibility members will be considered based on the number of points they accumulated. This may or may not happen, but it can be a starting point for the nomination process.

A purely community-based vote sounds good in theory but it's prone to turn into a popularity contest. That isn't the point of the MVC group. And in any case, the final word of who's included rests with the senior (supers+) staff.

I should also point out that with the re-introduction of reputation points for the technical forums, there is a possibility members will be considered based on the number of points they accumulated. This may or may not happen, but it can be a starting point for the nomination process.

A purely community-based vote sounds good in theory but it's prone to turn into a popularity contest. That isn't the point of the MVC group. And in any case, the final word of who's included rests with the senior (supers+) staff.

Exactly. If anyone has hoped for a MVC badge this time around - see it as an incentive to help people in the technical forums. If you're good, you'll make it on the MVC list eventually.

Since the reputation system is only in effect within technical forums, that is another reason to go with this. Since only people with valuable input are more likely to be rep'ed and thus be considered for the MVC program. Sure the rep system is prone to abuse, but not on the long run. Helpful and contributing members in the technical forums will end up being the most rep'ed.

At least, with rep points, the process is transparent and is technically fair. The current system is neither.

Wow, hehe, thanks. I'm really stunned by this and it's awesome. Thanks everyone! :happy: