Geohot releases the PS3 keys [Discussion]

Hi guys,

Since the news of the PS3 being cracked has been out, this has got me thinking of purchasing a second had console and doing the dirty deed to unlock the playstation and put tons of software, dvd's, games etc on it - I have no intrest in online playability so that won't be an issue. But could someone explain to me in lamens terms how I can do this or point me to somewhere that explains step by step guide for this process.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

regarding XBMC, sigma announced that their new chip will work with XBMC, they have made a port of XBMC for it so it looks like in a few months we'll be able to buy a cheap multimedia player that can run XBMC so will be able to play everything :) It will use an awful lot less power than the ps3 and be silent.

Hi guys,

Since the news of the PS3 being cracked has been out, this has got me thinking of purchasing a second had console and doing the dirty deed to unlock the playstation and put tons of software, dvd's, games etc on it - I have no intrest in online playability so that won't be an issue. But could someone explain to me in lamens terms how I can do this or point me to somewhere that explains step by step guide for this process.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

It hasn't actually been released yet. If your looking for second hand, go on ebay. I bought a "broken" 40GB for $100 and all it needed was a blu-ray drive which I swapped with my ylod 60GB.

regarding XBMC, sigma announced that their new chip will work with XBMC, they have made a port of XBMC for it so it looks like in a few months we'll be able to buy a cheap multimedia player that can run XBMC so will be able to play everything :) It will use an awful lot less power than the ps3 and be silent.

no matter what sigma does there will never be a better value then a ps3 slim for 300 US/CAN that can play up to date games, blu ray, netflix and any file format you can throw at it once XBMC happens. Not mention other homebrew. And my slim is pretty damn quiet.

An idea, Sony could update firmware to do a simple size test, So if firmware/ system folders ie 3.55 should be 171mb and is detected as 172mb maybe it might detect as modified and please reinstall 3.55 as your firmware is detected as corrupt

Another idea, Sony logs people who update to 3.55 on PSN and changes there terms saying you may only download this firmware for ps3 once, Cancels all the manual download methods such as on pc. So if you add a custom update and things go ###### up you cant update your firmware again on PSN, Im aware at the moment you can download 3.55 for a USB stick but in future they might stop manual firmware download.

An idea, Sony could update firmware to do a simple size test, So if firmware/ system folders ie 3.55 should be 171mb and is detected as 172mb maybe it might detect as modified and please reinstall 3.55 as your firmware is detected as corrupt

Another idea, Sony logs people who update to 3.55 on PSN and changes there terms saying you may only download this firmware for ps3 once, Cancels all the manual download methods such as on pc. So if you add a custom update and things go ###### up you cant update your firmware again on PSN, Im aware at the moment you can download 3.55 for a USB stick but in future they might stop manual firmware download.

That will never work.

Custom firmwares are not necessarily bigger or smaller, just "different". Still, there are better ways of detecting "modified" firmwares. It's irrelevant though, the custom firmware could just disable or "fix" that check.

As for your second idea, it's entirely impractical. Many people play offline entirely and get updates via disk, it would screw them too much. Plus, even people that play online don't necessarily have a viable enough connection to let their PS3 download the file. It would **** off too many people and not really stop anything. Someone can just redirect the PS3's PSN capabilities to a 3rd party server where the download is still "active" and get it that way.

I just want XBMC. My current media center is 6 years old, runs great with XBMC lite but a PS3 would sing and have a blu-ray player to boot.

I would like it too but I think will be while for somebody to do it because xbmc team is not going to do it and it going to be hard to write drivers to use the cell cores. :(

By backups you mean illegally downloaded games right? :rolleyes:

All illegal downloads are backups, but not all backups are illegal downloads. Particularly, have you seen the amount of PS3's out there with deal lasers in them? Ironically, backing up games on the PS3 would be less to keep the game in working order and more to keep the PS3 itself in working order!

All illegal downloads are backups, but not all backups are illegal downloads. Particularly, have you seen the amount of PS3's out there with deal lasers in them? Ironically, backing up games on the PS3 would be less to keep the game in working order and more to keep the PS3 itself in working order!

You're right, but chances are over 90% of the people that would utilise this function will be gaining their software illegally, heck the average PS3 player probably wouldn't know the first thing about jailbreaking the machine if it wasn't for it's recent popularity in the news. Those that know how to do it will most likely be using it for the playing of downloaded software.

You're right, but chances are over 90% of the people that would utilise this function will be gaining their software illegally, heck the average PS3 player probably wouldn't know the first thing about jailbreaking the machine if it wasn't for it's recent popularity in the news. Those that know how to do it will most likely be using it for the playing of downloaded software.

Indeed this is true, but what can you do? May as well enjoy the ride!

That will never work.

Custom firmwares are not necessarily bigger or smaller, just "different". Still, there are better ways of detecting "modified" firmwares. It's irrelevant though, the custom firmware could just disable or "fix" that check.

As for your second idea, it's entirely impractical. Many people play offline entirely and get updates via disk, it would screw them too much. Plus, even people that play online don't necessarily have a viable enough connection to let their PS3 download the file. It would **** off too many people and not really stop anything. Someone can just redirect the PS3's PSN capabilities to a 3rd party server where the download is still "active" and get it that way.

Memory addresses will be different, and checking will be server side.

As a techie messing around with a console sure gives a kick, but I have too much to lose right now. I'll wait and see if bannings start.

That will never work.

More importantly than that. once you have control of the whole firmware like they do, there's nothing sony can really do about it. YEah sure sony can include a check in the firmware for the checksum, BUT what does it matter, you have full control of the firmware, you just rewrite the checksum checker so it always returns the right value.

As a techie messing around with a console sure gives a kick, but I have too much to lose right now. I'll wait and see if bannings start.

again, as I said, doesn't matter where the check is, it still needs code returned from the console firmware, of which they have full control, and whatever sony asks for, they can return the right value.

More importantly than that. once you have control of the whole firmware like they do, there's nothing sony can really do about it. YEah sure sony can include a check in the firmware for the checksum, BUT what does it matter, you have full control of the firmware, you just rewrite the checksum checker so it always returns the right value.

function isOriginalFirmware() {
    return true;
}

This failure on Sony's behalf gives attackers as much access to the hardware as Sony has, if Sony could change something, so could an hacker (So any and all custom measures Sony could implement short of changing the signing keys, are vulnerable to being changed)

The checks are NOT server side, they're client side. The server may well request the checks, but the client has to perform them and with the level of access we now have, we can make those checks do anything we want.

Theoretically, there's nothing stopping you from making a dump from RAM of a normal, unmodified GameOS just using that as an oversized lookup table (I think PS3 owners can spare 512Mb of space), that's assuming sony impliments a syscall that can read ANY part of memory, just for checking its valid. It wouldn't work.

no matter what sigma does there will never be a better value then a ps3 slim for 300 US/CAN that can play up to date games, blu ray, netflix and any file format you can throw at it once XBMC happens. Not mention other homebrew. And my slim is pretty damn quiet.

Nope, the ps3 is ?230+, with the new sigma chip we could see ?70 media players that can play everything. If you want bluray buy a standalone for ?60, it would be quieter and use less power and ?100 less. I don't play games so that could is redundant for most. Also you get proper remote controls, you'd have to buy a seperate one for the ps3. Netflix and youtube etc are on alot of bluray players too.

They could add checksum checks into the games, that way they could catch a few people off guard before they realized that sony had done this as they would expect all games to simply work since the custom firmware is "perfect". however. IF Sony was smart in designing the OS. then the games wouldn't have access to check the checksum of the OS or anything anyway. and again it's easy to fix when you know about it.

Nope, the ps3 is £230+, with the new sigma chip we could see £70 media players that can play everything. If you want bluray buy a standalone for £60, it would be quieter and use less power and £100 less. I don't play games so that could is redundant for most. Also you get proper remote controls, you'd have to buy a seperate one for the ps3. Netflix and youtube etc are on alot of bluray players too.

those already exist, sigma is doing nothing new. and then buying a stand alone blu ray player defeats the purpose of something that does all of that and more in one device including playing games, which is what this part of the forum is dedicated too... if you don't play them why are you posting here other then sounding like a salesman for sigma? also i quoted the price in US/CAN dolllars for over here, that's how much it is over here so i don't know how you are saying nope it isn't.and how you do you make a judgement about how quiet something is when you haven't even seen the end product?