Geohot releases the PS3 keys [Discussion]

Not true, you can buy 10pcs BD-R 25GB discs for ?8.80 so 88p each, bluray burners are ?82+. Not that expensive at all. PS3 games aren't over 25GB so the high price of 50GB discs doesn't matter.

Yeah but why go to all that trouble when you can just put it on a HDD?

Yeah but why go to all that trouble when you can just put it on a HDD?

I'd assume the idea of it being more "stealth" like.

How is the potential to release pirated or maybe even modified games with a working livense as if they where original not a big deal. it lets ANYONE pirate. heck they could also release the image with a little tool to add a unique key to the disk in afterwards to stop sony from baning based on known keys.

more importantly what is sure, is that now they can make working mods that allow you to play online with the latest patches, and more worryingly, with modified games. i.e. cheating.

lol, even the tools to make BD games has been leaked.

post-144601-0-40117200-1294094666.jpg

I'd assume the idea of it being more "stealth" like.

It's not really. In fact, the way the current jailbreakers play pirated games is by more or less emulating the BD-ROM drive anyway.

How is the potential to release pirated or maybe even modified games with a working livense as if they where original not a big deal. it lets ANYONE pirate. heck they could also release the image with a little tool to add a unique key to the disk in afterwards to stop sony from baning based on known keys.

more importantly what is sure, is that now they can make working mods that allow you to play online with the latest patches, and more worryingly, with modified games. i.e. cheating.

This is what I am against in the whole piracy/homebrew talk, I don't care what you do at home, if you pirate or buy every game, but it always leads to some people who want to get an advantage on-line, which then ends up affecting me in some way.

I remember back when Halo Reach came out, people were quite happy to pirate it, but would rage on-line when someone else who had hacked there 360 would start messing with the multi-player part of the game.

It is unfortunate, but it usually follows piracy around and ends up screwing the worst with legit buyers of games.

It's not really. In fact, the way the current jailbreakers play pirated games is by more or less emulating the BD-ROM drive anyway.

Yeah but emulating the drive means not properly using the drive :p

Any step that can be taken to make it more like legitimately playing a game is going to "ease" pirates minds if their consoles are online connected.

Yeah but emulating the drive means not properly using the drive :p

Any step that can be taken to make it more like legitimately playing a game is going to "ease" pirates minds if their consoles are online connected.

It's not a 360 lol. The thing is, the BD-ROM drive hasn't actually been compromised, its everything else that has. In order to "stealthify" it, you'd need to intercept the commands from the drive that are indicating that the game isn't legit. It's a lot of hassle, when you can just run files directly from the hard drive and since you have complete OS access anyway, you can fake whatever you want.

As far as I'm aware, Sony has almost no protections running from within the PS3's OS itself, very little to detect illegal actions, unlike the 360 (for example), which has a really effective hypervisor that even a JTAG'd 360 seemingly can't bypass enough to avoid a Live Ban.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but they also found the Keys for the PSP in the PS3, allowing people to sign homebrew and run it from the XMB, but from what I understand they can't sign ISO/CSO yet.

It's not a 360 lol. The thing is, the BD-ROM drive hasn't actually been compromised, its everything else that has. In order to "stealthify" it, you'd need to intercept the commands from the drive that are indicating that the game isn't legit. It's a lot of hassle, when you can just run files directly from the hard drive and since you have complete OS access anyway, you can fake whatever you want.

As far as I'm aware, Sony has almost no protections running from within the PS3's OS itself, very little to detect illegal actions, unlike the 360 (for example), which has a really effective hypervisor that even a JTAG'd 360 seemingly can't bypass enough to avoid a Live Ban.

I know but you see the chaos that ensues when pirates are banned from Live, people are forever seeking out the holy grail of 100% stealth to clear their mind and believe they'll never get caught rofl.gif

[2010-12-30 03:14AM UTC] #psgroove * Mathieulh wonders how c4eva plans on hacking the ps3 bd drive when he talks of it as if it?s a 360 drive

[2010-12-30 03:14AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> just saying?

[2010-12-30 03:14AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> not that we really even need to hack into that in the first place

[2010-12-30 03:14AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> but the drive is actually well protected

[2010-12-30 03:14AM UTC] #psgroove <c4eva> thats right :) now

[2010-12-30 03:15AM UTC] #psgroove <eddyz> hows slim drive work commin c4

[2010-12-30 03:16AM UTC] #psgroove <c4eva> slim coming along nicely, almost done! too much to do, not enought spare time

[2010-12-30 03:20AM UTC] #psgroove <eddyz> c4 is there anything technical or roadblocks preventing the 3 new slim drives or is it basically time

[2010-12-30 03:19AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> c4eva did you figure how the bd auth data is stored into the pic zone yet ?

[2010-12-30 03:20AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> and how you have to patch the drive?s ram with a valid piczone data for the drive to see a ?genuine? disc

[2010-12-30 03:21AM UTC] #psgroove <c4eva> eddy:time

[2010-12-30 03:24AM UTC] #psgroove <c4eva> math:yes auth data/pic zone not a problem with bd, yes there are routines to do this!

[2010-12-30 03:24AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> c4eva you do know the auth to ps3 is encrypted right ? with a per bd drive key which is hellish to get from the drive side

[2010-12-30 03:24AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> (though it?s actually easy to get from the ps3 side if you exploit and know how)

[2010-12-30 03:24AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> I grabbed the key

[2010-12-30 03:24AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> and sniffed all the auth

[2010-12-30 03:25AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> and decrypted xD

[2010-12-30 03:25AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> actually

[2010-12-30 03:25AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> getting the key

[2010-12-30 03:25AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> from ps3

[2010-12-30 03:25AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> is documented

[2010-12-30 03:25AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> check the ps3wiki

[2010-12-30 03:25AM UTC] #psgroove <Mathieulh> https://ps3wiki.lan.st/index.php/Hypervisor_Reverse_Engineering#ENCDEC_device

[2010-12-30 03:26AM UTC] #psgroove <c4eva> math:doesnt matter

I know but you see the chaos that ensues when pirates are banned from Live, people are forever seeking out the holy grail of 100% stealth to clear their mind and believe they'll never get caught rofl.gif

Good luck with that lol.

If it wasn't for Xbox Live Bannings, 360 piracy would be 10x worse than it is. If sony wants to try and hamper this whole thing, the best thing they can do is ban PS3's and PSN accounts like there's no tomorrow. That's the only thing that'll put quite a lot of people off.

Good luck with that lol.

If it wasn't for Xbox Live Bannings, 360 piracy would be 10x worse than it is. If sony wants to try and hamper this whole thing, the best thing they can do is ban PS3's and PSN accounts like there's no tomorrow. That's the only thing that'll put quite a lot of people off.

On that note say hi to the future of online pass coming with every multiplayer enabled game, and a plethora of cheating.

While there's reason to be all giddy about this, there's reasons not to be sadly....

This is a pretty fair comment in some respects,

Forcing me to mod my console even if I don't need any of the features to skip the constant firmware updates, getting the risk of being banned even if I dont pirate games and counter the online cheaters cheating myself? No, thanks.

About this, if they simply distributed a pub file with a linux distribution working in any PS3, I would have agree 100% with them. They got Linux back, teach a lesson to Sony, and no one got harmed.

On that note say hi to the future of online pass coming with every multiplayer enabled game, and a plethora of cheating.

While there's reason to be all giddy about this, there's reasons not to be sadly....

It is a pretty fair comment, the problem is that there's no way to get Linux back without enabling everything else that comes with it. I mean, I'm sure if they looked long and hard enough, they'd be able to find enough exploits and glitches to allow OtherOS to be brought back without releasing any private keys, but why should they? Sony removed OtherOS without a thought for those that actually wanted and used it, so why should anyone give Sony a second thought when they bring it back?

Plus, the bright side about this whole full disclosure thing is that Sony has learned a VERY valuable lesson. Not just about Linux, but about basic cryptography. And all the other companies out there implementing similar systems (that's just about everyone these days) will have a kick up the arse, too.

The PS3 has a great install base, a huge amount of developer support and it isn't going away any time soon, even if piracy ramps up, it'll still sell as well as the 360 does.

As an avid 360 pirate, has that been your experience?

As an avid 360 pirate, has that been your experience?

I haven't turned my 360 on in about 6 months so you tell me?

i'll honestly keep buying ps3 games no problems. all i want is a good media player on the ps3 (xbmc for example...). this plus homebrew should provide that. the greatest consoles i have ever owned are the psp and original xbox all because of homebrew. I REALLY REALLY WISH piracy and homebrew didn't have to be related, but this is the how it is unfortunately.

I've not kept up with the PS3 hacking scene, because I'm not that interested (not until there is a one click solution :D), even then time invested vs time ACTUALLY on the PS3 doesn't match up.

PS, this Geohot kid seems like a "douchebag" to use an American term.

I think what's really sad from all the kiddies going "OMGZ FREE GAMEZZZZ", is that it is the small developers who are going to be hurting. Companies like EA & Activision factor piracy into the bottom line of development (I'm not saying it's right to copy their games, just that they know that is what will happen).

Small indie devs who put out titles on XBL and PSN will now be put in a position of evaluating how much of a risk a given platform is. Until now, the PSN was no risk in terms of security, but this hack blows all that out of the water. Why would indie devs want to invest years of development and big sums of money into a platform that will be hit hard by pirates. They can shout homebrew all they like, but we all know that the biggest effect of this hack will be piracy.

What about when you last used it?

I hardly played online.

There's a great difference between the security circumventions here, and modified DVD firmware in the 360.

I'm interested in a true backup play capability from the HDD and not get banned.

Being able to lay on my bed, turn the game on and play any game I want from it without having to get up and shuffle about, all loading quickly from the HDD... that would be pretty sweet.

I have done the same on my PSP game collection. I ripped them all to the MS. Loads much quicker and I love being able to choose what game I want to play on-the-fly.

I hardly played online.

There's a great difference between the security circumventions here, and modified DVD firmware in the 360.

yeah, with the keys they have now, they can play online just fine without fear of detection. even if sony added code to detect modified iso's they could make a new PS3 firmware that just removes that code and returns the all ok code to the PSN server just like it returns the legit disc code to them.

yeah, with the keys they have now, they can play online just fine without fear of detection. even if sony added code to detect modified iso's they could make a new PS3 firmware that just removes that code and returns the all ok code to the PSN server just like it returns the legit disc code to them.

Until all of this is in practice you can never be 100% certain about your beliefs of stealth online play.

Shame this had to happen I hope this doesn't affect ps3 game sales at all. That always means the death of a system *points to the psp as reference*