Geohot releases the PS3 keys [Discussion]

Keep it free and ban PSN accounts along with PS3s.

MS' biggest downfall in the fight against piracy is not banning Live accounts, but they don't do that because they charge and don't want to lose money.

Just because some people are going to start pirating doesn't mean everyone using a PS3 has to suffer.

They are banning accounts now, I know a few who got banned along with their consoles. The bottomline is they were forced to buy new consoles and accounts if they wanted to keep playing with their friends, you just do not see the piracy like you did. The people I speak of actually had two Xbox 360's, one legit for online and one for playing hacked games. What these guys failed to remember was that when the transferred their account back to the legit console, it showed them playing a game that they should not have been playing yet. Microsoft then banned their XBL account and the legit console, no questions. Sony will figure this out. Problem with free accounts is I can make 100 of them. If it becomes as easy to pirate the PS3 as it is the PSP Sony will struggle.

They are banning accounts now, I know a few who got banned along with their consoles. The bottomline is they were forced to buy new consoles and accounts if they wanted to keep playing with their friends, you just do not see the piracy like you did. The people I speak of actually had two Xbox 360's, one legit for online and one for playing hacked games. What these guys failed to remember was that when the transferred their account back to the legit console, it showed them playing a game that they should not have been playing yet. Microsoft then banned their XBL account and the legit console, no questions. Sony will figure this out. Problem with free accounts is I can make 100 of them.

You can keep making 360 accounts as well?

I brought up the banning of accounts as usually people are very attached to their gamerscores/trophies and legitimate market purchases tied to their accounts if any. You ban all of that for good and you have a frustrated upset pirate, especially if they pirated COD and got to rank 60 or whatever laugh.gif

Charging for online isn't a deterrent to piracy, a pirate would rather pay £25-30 for a year of online gaming than buy 1 game at £30-35. You have to ban something costly to the pirate (the console), and then something sentimental with hours of work put into it (the account).

Offline piracy can't be stopped now, it's annoying and costing the online pirates money that's important to the ecosystem of the console.

Everything rides on the release of the "downgrade" code from an undisclosed source, without that particular code they (failoverflow) would still be "hacking" in the dark...

(and the random number "4" off course)

So it all boils down to human error... Who released the code that made downgrade possible...(some shady repair-shop, or disgruntled Sony employee?)

Well, time for new console hardware!!!

I vote for more (video) RAM in the next Playstation (HD gaming requires more RAM for textures!! plain and simple)

It was human error, im not sure if it was a disgruntled employee or some shady deal but someone leaked one of the "jigs" that Sony use internally to put PS3s into Service Mode when they come in for repair.

int getRandomValue()
{
      return 4; //chosen from a random dice roll
                //will always be random
}

sup.

Thats from an XKCD comic that come wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before, it has nothing to do with Sony key, people are just using it as a joke on Sony.

It was human error, im not sure if it was a disgruntled employee or some shady deal but someone leaked one of the "jigs" that Sony use internally to put PS3s into Service Mode when they come in for repair.

Thats from an XKCD comic that come before, it has nothing to do with Sony key.

Yes, but it was used by Team Fail0verflow to demonstrate the ignorance of Sony. :whistle:

Yes, hilarious.

I personally thought it was, and started going into spazams of laughter when they said that about the same random number :laugh:

Yeah but its not a randomly generated master key is it, its an encryption key that has to be the same for every console or it cant decrypt the code?

I dont see why its so funny.

lol i had to check and see if this was a year old thread revived. Ps3 games have been on the net for quite a while now. I might switch to ps3 since most ps3 games are smaller then 360

but not playable.... from the recent USB hack some were able to play pirated games but that was like 4 to 5 months ago and sony patched most of the console.

but not playable.... from the recent USB hack some were able to play pirated games but that was like 4 to 5 months ago and sony patched most of the console.

They are playable from internal HDD some of the games that are built using 3.5+ SDK arent playable but will be soon, every game since release up until Call of Duty Black Ops are all playable with a few exceptions.

the games that just got put out since the last update bypass the new update. Its been hacked for a long time. They didnt stop anything even for a minute.

Thats sorted now, they have extracted the game keys from 3.50 and injected them into the game executables so now any jailbreak console on 3.41 can play GT5, Call of Duty, etc... the fix is already out.

They are playable from internal HDD some of the games that are built using 3.5+ SDK arent playable but will be soon, every game since release up until Call of Duty Black Ops are all playable with a few exceptions.

So with the latest hack we will still be able to jailbreak ps3 and play pirated games???

Source please???

the games that just got put out since the last update bypass the new update. Its been hacked for a long time. They didnt stop anything even for a minute.

I have been living in the cave for sometime then... last time I heard was with the latest patch sony fixed the USB hack.

So with the latest hack we will still be able to jailbreak ps3 and play pirated games???

Source please???

I have been living in the cave for sometime then... last time I heard was with the latest patch sony fixed the USB hack.

im not posting sources to illegal software but if you check ANY site that hosts these things and read the comments of working releases you will see. My friend just grabbed a few move games and GT5 so its not fixed.

im not posting sources to illegal software but if you check ANY site that hosts these things and read the comments of working releases you will see. My friend just grabbed a few move games and GT5 so its not fixed.

lol...well I didnt ask you to post the Hack itself but a news source which explain the new hack :-)

never mind I ll Google.

Yeah but its not a randomly generated master key is it, its an encryption key that has to be the same for every console or it cant decrypt the code?

I dont see why its so funny.

The key (k) and the random number (m) are different numbers. They are used together(with some other public values) to generate the signatures. The random number is suppose to be different each time a signature is made, but Sony used the same number. So all you needed was 2 signatures and you can figure out the key.

From fail0verload's slides:

failcm.jpg

Errr...so we can now run pirated games on all PS3s? I've quickly browsed through the thread and gather that we have all the tools out their necessary to do this now.

So my question is, where can I get it? :whistle:

They were actually pirating and playable well before all the recent USB hacks, however, it was in a smaller underground network. Only over the past 6 months has it become mainstream.

Someone has to produce a CFW and then patch it in order for the BD drive to read a burned game. It won't be a while until someone even releases a bug free CFW...even months.

I am not sure if i have understand correctly and what has changed with Geohot's released keys but on the "failoverflow" videos they clearly state that they don't have the keys to sign games.

Has this changed now?

People have already been able to run backups through ps jailbreak, so I don't see why people can't get backups running through this.

Someone has to produce a CFW and then patch it in order for the BD drive to read a burned game. It won't be a while until someone even releases a bug free CFW...even months.

Burned Blu-Rays would be a bad direction. The discs are expensive, the burners are expensive. A HDD solution makes much more sense. Faster and cheaper.

They also found the Blu-Ray AACS sony keys in the PS3. I'm not sure what that could accomplish, but it seems that Sony has lost all its keys.

That's not that big a deal, things like AnyDVD are constantly being updated to know the latest Blu Ray keys for ripping movies as they get blacklisted.

However there's chat that the PS3 keys can't get blacklisted, still not that a big a deal in terms of gaming piracy though.

However there's chat that the PS3 keys can't get blacklisted, still not that a big a deal in terms of gaming piracy though.

How is the potential to release pirated or maybe even modified games with a working livense as if they where original not a big deal. it lets ANYONE pirate. heck they could also release the image with a little tool to add a unique key to the disk in afterwards to stop sony from baning based on known keys.

more importantly what is sure, is that now they can make working mods that allow you to play online with the latest patches, and more worryingly, with modified games. i.e. cheating.

Burned Blu-Rays would be a bad direction. The discs are expensive, the burners are expensive. A HDD solution makes much more sense. Faster and cheaper.

Not true, you can buy 10pcs BD-R 25GB discs for ?8.80 so 88p each, bluray burners are ?82+. Not that expensive at all. PS3 games aren't over 25GB so the high price of 50GB discs doesn't matter.