The new Gawker / Kotaku / Gizmodo layout is terrible

Question

It's not intuitive whatsoever.

EDIT: Well, the /classic design looks alright, but the fact that you have to enable it just to make the site readable is a bad testament to the design. Why would you think this up?

Agreed. The new layout for the Gawker websites looks as if someone had a look at an iPad app and thought 'Hmm, I wonder if I can port its look and feel to a website.' The result is messy.

Yeah, not caring for it at all.

The latest bar on the right seems to spin indefinitely without loading anything.

I really don't like it. The right pane won't even load for me on Gizmodo!

Give it a moment, it'll load after a while..

Does anyone have any idea yet in which browsers the new Gawker layout will work better than in others? I'd imagine IE 6 users being left out in the cold (no huge loss, but still...)

I noticed it on the IO9 site last week. It does take a bit to get used to. Also at the top of the page you can go to blogview or just put /classic at the end of the url, at least for IO9.com

In their introductory post they say it's so that they can put what's important right there in front of you. What I used to like is being able to scroll through and pick out what was important to me. I used to be a regular Gizmodo/Kotaku/Jalopnik/io9 reader but I think I'm switching to Engadget/Joystiq/Autoblog and I guess I'll find a replacement for io9.

Does anyone have any idea yet in which browsers the new Gawker layout will work better than in others? I'd imagine IE 6 users being left out in the cold (no huge loss, but still...)

Actually the results are funny: IE9 does eventually load the spinner, Chrome loads nothing but the ad on the top (:rofl:) and Opera loads nothing.

Also scrolling is choppy across the board.

In their introductory post they say it's so that they can put what's important right there in front of you. What I used to like is being able to scroll through and pick out what was important to me. I used to be a regular Gizmodo/Kotaku/Jalopnik/io9 reader but I think I'm switching to Engadget/Joystiq/Autoblog and I guess I'll find a replacement for io9.

AOL blogs are more superior in content than gawker blogs anyway

It's been spinning for about 5 mins now... Kinda lost interest in reading Gizmodo. Ha. It was suppose to be a quick read of current entries but guess not.

So basically gawker decided to optimize their site for the ipad?

Pretty much, looks like they're giving up and going full fledged Apple fanboys instead of hiding it like before

The new layout doesn't get any better even after a second look in different browsers. It's terribad; the layout change could backfire for Gawker just like Digg v4 did.

stupid layout, even worse post display. What was wrong with the old layout?

Lets revolt and make them change it back like Digg... :shifty:

Pretty much, looks like they're giving up and going full fledged Apple fanboys instead of hiding it like before

It doesn't work on the iPad. The new design I mean. Doesn't work on the iPhone either.

stupid layout, even worse post display. What was wrong with the old layout?

Lets revolt and make them change it back like Digg... :shifty:

I already switched over to AOL blogs a long time ago. Joystiq/Engadget FTW

Also, what about people that use 800x600 resolution? If you scroll to the right, you still can't see the articles.

I don't recall seeing any "Beta site" links at giz/lh. Did they demo the changes to the general public before going live? If not, they should have... :\

TBH, the new sites give me a headache, I have no desire to return.