Internet Explorer 9 RC download links

My spelling and grammar is usually pretty perfect but it's easy to make typing mistakes that get overlooked when typing into a small textbox on a webpage. When that happens, it's nice to have a spell checker highlight your mistakes so you can quickly correct them. Expecting others to work around them is rude. I certainly don't understand why you would criticise people for wanting a spell checker :rolleyes:

Then install a spell-checker add-on?! Oh yeah, I know, it's a hell of a task.

What's the best or really good spell checker add-on that works fine for IE9 though? I've never went around looking for any since I used to use IE7Pro on IE7.

What's the best or really good spell checker add-on that works fine for IE9 though? I've never went around looking for any since I used to use IE7Pro on IE7.

Personally, I use ieSpell for IE8. It can't be set to auto-check as you type, but it's easy to do that manually via the context menu. It should work in IE9 too, as the base of the browser's plugin system is still the same as the previous ones.

Since IE9 isn't out yet it's hard to really say which one works best on it however i'm sure there are various ones that can or will work just fine. Spelling is a simple thing, you either get it right or wrong so that's the one thing you shouldn't be looking for "features". That's as simple of an add-on as it gets.

That's the thing though - I really liked the way IE7Pro did it but all i wanted is just that functionality and not all the rest of what IE7Pro does.

It's been a while since I last used IE7Pro, but I can remember it having a modular system by which you can choose to have just the features you need and do away with the rest.

I've never found a spell checker add-on for Internet Explorer which underlines the incorrect words in red, as one types. If a spell checker add-on doesn't do this, it is inferior to other Microsoft spell-checkers, in my opinion. Your post was very ignorant because asking the team to implement a spell checker is a request that makes sense, especially when every other major browser includes one.

I've never found a spell checker add-on for Internet Explorer which underlines the incorrect words in red, as one types.

The spell checker in IE7Pro does exactly this.

I've never found a spell checker add-on for Internet Explorer which underlines the incorrect words in red, as one types. If a spell checker add-on doesn't do this, it is inferior to other Microsoft spell-checkers, in my opinion. Your post was very ignorant because asking the team to implement a spell checker is a request that makes sense, especially when every other major browser includes one.

IE7Pro does that auto-check thing and it's on ieSpell's to-do list. Plus, it's not like it's a word processor application in which you are in constant need of auto spell-checking where you are writing and preparing professional documents all the time. Manual checking does suffice most of the time.

Also a browser (or any other software for that matter) shouldn't be a Swiss Army knife by default. More functionalities and features can be added later on user's request and that's where plugins come in.

IE7Pro does that auto-check thing and it's on ieSpell's to-do list. Plus, it's not like it's a word processor application in which you are in constant need of auto spell-checking where you are writing and preparing professional documents all the time. Manual checking does suffice most of the time.

Also a browser (or any other software for that matter) shouldn't be a Swiss Army knife by default. More functionalities and features can be added later on user's request and that's where plugins come in.

With the growth of forums, Facebook, and other websites where people post content frequently, a spell-checker is now wished for by many. Yes, one can check their spelling manually, but that takes quite a lot of time considering these people post such content daily. Unlike you (it seems), many people care about whether their spelling is correct all of the time, not just when they are preparing professional documents. I care about my spelling whenever, even when posting on Facebook.

It's not about being a 'Swiss army knife'?considering what I've stated in the above paragraph, asking for a spell-checker is a reasonable request, and makes sense for a web browser.

I may have to check out IE7Pro then, and thank you for the suggestion; however, installing an add-on which has many undesired features is not what many of us would like to do. We'd like the feature to be built-in to the browser.

I agree with this for the most part, people who are diehard FF users are so because they've added some many extentions and it's turned into this custom browser they more or less can't find anywhere else.

IE has add-ons ya, but it's also got accelerators which are another form of "add-ons" really. The problem was that the coders, most of them anyways, never seem to like IE eough to really bother making better add-ons for it. With IE9 being as good as it is, at least for me, we could see that changing for the better.

You could argue that IE could also use a new add-on system, maybe something that uses SL or .NET, dunno.

The spell checker in IE7Pro does exactly this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to try it out, but it's an annoyance to have to install an add-on which has so many undesired features. Wouldn't that add-on slow the browser down more than if there was an add-on which just checked the spelling, even if those other features aren't being used? When testing the beta, I'd often receive a message suggesting I disable some add-ons that weren't being actively used (e.g. the Java add-on, when not on a website which required it) in order to speed up the application.

With the growth of forums, Facebook, and other websites where people post content frequently, a spell-checker is now wished for by many. Yes, one can check their spelling manually, but that takes quite a lot of time considering these people post such content daily. Unlike you (it seems), many people care about whether their spelling is correct all of the time, not just when they are preparing professional documents. I care about my spelling whenever, even when posting on Facebook.

It doesn't take a lot of time to check manually, it's just a click away, either on the context menu or a button. It takes about as much time and effort as the auto-check to be honest. Of course, there's also auto-correct but that is another beast, and I suppose this is not what you need.

What made you think that I don't care about spelling, I have no idea. I have eyes and I have fingers to help me spell-check what I write. I can type in a rush and have a tool help me to correct my errors later, or actually use my abilities properly in addition to that. I for one always spell check the text with my eyes before using a manual check to remove any possible errors. Either way, I'm okay.

It's not about being a 'Swiss army knife'?considering what I've stated in the above paragraph, asking for a spell-checker is a reasonable request, and makes sense for a web browser.

A browser is not a text editor/processor per se, though that happens to be a common use nowadays.

That's why in addition to plug-ins, server-side solutions have also been developed, for instance : http://www.spellchecker.net/v3/products/scayt.html

I may have to check out IE7Pro then, and thank you for the suggestion; however, installing an add-on which has many undesired features is not what many of us would like to do. We'd like the feature to be built-in to the browser.

No problem. :) But as I said, IE7Pro has a modular architecture and can be customized to your specific needs.

You could argue that IE could also use a new add-on system, maybe something that uses SL or .NET, dunno.

I really wish that. I've been digging for something like that now and then, guess what? I just found this: SpicIE

Yet to mess around with it, I'll be playing with it later to see if it's any good.

I'm experiencing a weird problem with IE9 now. I decided to uninstall IE9 today, to go back to IE8, so I could do a "clean" install of IE9. After it's done installing, my computer restarts, & on my taskbar, I still see the old icon for IE8, but when I open IE, it is the RC for IE9. I tried changing the icon to the new one for IE9, but nothing seems to work. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Odd, flash works fine and I never had the tab problem either. Do you have tabs in the default (right of address bar) setting or did you move them below it?

I've had tabs under the location bar, and to the right of the location bar, and it's the same thing, tabs aren't focusing on first click.

I've had tabs under the location bar, and to the right of the location bar, and it's the same thing, tabs aren't focusing on first click.

Ok, I think that might have happened to me 2 or 3 times but it seems to have happened after I try to click a tab when interacting with a flash window, like a game on FB. It doesn't happen often enough though, have you noticed that?

Off topic, MS has said they'll automatically upgrade all IE9 beta and RC users to the final version when it ships, through WU no doubt. Guess they're taking a page out of the Google book with that move. Which also leads me to believe they'll soon flip the switch on the HTML5 version of Bing as well.

Off topic, MS has said they'll automatically upgrade all IE9 beta and RC users to the final version when it ships, through WU no doubt.

That will be cool. I've often wondered many times why MS didn't do that.