Fuming at Apple: iOS 4.3 on iPhone 3GS

I'm pretty sure I recall seeing that it was limited to 4 devices.

5 devices, which is pretty damn good. You might not be limited on Android, but I'd be surprised if you saw much throughput (or if your battery lasted longer than 60 minutes) past 5 connected devices.

Edit: Seems like there's a catch on the iPhone. It's 3 devices over WiFi, but then you could also have one device tethering via Bluetooth and one via USB. So five devices in all. Weird that it works out like that, but I'm not surprised. It's not exactly the most robust 802.11n radio.

Since the thread was "Fuming at Apple", I was expecting a person to have purchased the old iPad before hearing of Apple's plans for the new model.

[Thread Renamed]

I find it hard to believe that you can't jailbreak your 3GS.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.2.1-untethered-with-redsn0w-0.9.7b1-how-to-guide/

What specific problems are you having with the Jailbreak? Or do you just not want JB to be your option? The added benefit of MyWi on a JB phone is you don't have to pay an extra $20/mo to your service provider (although that probably violates your ToS).

He can do it but he wants the ability to restore the original configuration in case he wants to send it back to Apple.

He has a iPhone 3GS which means he is on AT&T. They dont carry Froyo phones. The first phone they will have with 2.2 isnt coming out until 2.3 get released. This is how AT&T makes their money. The cell out dated phones with outdated software that require rooting just to get access to 80% of the Android store. Once you root you don't have a warranty anymore on a brand new device. The only option is paying for expensive insurance on your cell phone. It all amounts to the same issue. No tethering without paying for a new phone that costs 199, which is only 50 more than the best Android phone from AT&T or getting the phone Android phone and spend a $150 over the course of 2 years on insurance.

He also lives in the UK, which means he's not on AT&T, could be on any UK network, and has a wide choice of Android phones.

Baseband only matters for unlocking....no effect of jailbreaking that I heard of.

Most of iphones/ipods can be jailbroken with either redsnow or greenposion.

After jailbreak, get MyWi and have fun. I also suggest getting BiteSMS - increase features for text msg. FolderEnchancer - increase folders features. My3g or 3G Unrestrictor.

exactly my point

I find it hard to believe that you can't jailbreak your 3GS.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.2.1-untethered-with-redsn0w-0.9.7b1-how-to-guide/

What specific problems are you having with the Jailbreak? Or do you just not want JB to be your option? The added benefit of MyWi on a JB phone is you don't have to pay an extra $20/mo to your service provider (although that probably violates your ToS).

+1

www.jailbreakmatrix.com

He also lives in the UK, which means he's not on AT&T, could be on any UK network, and has a wide choice of Android phones.

ah didnt notice that :p in the USA the only choice you have is voiding warranties and buying insurance. That and the phones they sell with a carrier discount are all outdated by the time they hit the market so your always buying phones that won't be supported in a few months.

I have an iPhone 3GS and was looking forward to iOS 4.3 due to the hotspot feature, in the Betas the 3GS was fully supported but now in the Golden Master support for this feature on my phone has been pulled. Why? It's just so annoying that it worked perfectly well and Apple's just doing it to try and make me upgrade to a newer model (which won't be happening, I'm done with Apple now). Just goes to show paying the Apple premium doesn't stop you from being left behind. I say left behind, it's a phone their still making there not giving new features to.

Now you know what it felt like for us 3G owners when 4.0 came out :p

Now you know what it felt like for us 3G owners when 4.0 came out :p

Exxxactly... Which is why my Samsung Focus replaced my iPhone 3G... ;)

All this for nothing :p

From the Apple website:

post-2250-0-74314300-1299107581.png

While that is true, the tethering feature only works with iPhone 4.

Now my question is, for those of you who have tested it. Is this tethering as in, I don't need to purchase a seperate "tethering plan" from AT&T? As long as I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad, I can share my 3G connection from the iPhone to my iPad? Just like MyWi does now?

Now my question is, for those of you who have tested it. Is this tethering as in, I don't need to purchase a seperate "tethering plan" from AT&T? As long as I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad, I can share my 3G connection from the iPhone to my iPad? Just like MyWi does now?

It's up to your carrier.....

Technically... yes. if caught though you will have to pay the extra charge which is like 40 a month.

Sorry. butt your reading skills need some work, he is upset about the hotspot function being removed on his 3GS in the 4.3 GM build, if you notice on the page, the hotspot function is only listed / described as on iPhone 4

All this for nothing :p

From the Apple website:

post-2250-0-74314300-1299107581.png

Smeltin -- ther is a tethering charge required on AT&T version,, but the Verizion is no extra charge afaik

Huh?? iOS 4.3 supports iPhone 3GS.

Nobody said iOS 4.3 didn't. It just doesn't have hotspots feature on 3GS, etc, like iPhone 3G didn't get multitasking with 4.0...

Sorry. butt your reading skills need some work, he is upset about the hotspot function being removed on his 3GS in the 4.3 GM build, if you notice on the page, the hotspot function is only listed / described as on iPhone 4

Oops. I completely missed that part. :blush:

Although, if you're willing to root an Android phone and hope to get an alternate ROM working on it, you're much better off jailbreaking and installing MyWi. As long as you don't need to SIM unlock it there should be no problem.

So you expect better when you go Android? Phones are not even being updated after the first couple months to the latest version and if they are they take forever to be complied and released. An old Android phone would not get new features either.

Wait for the final to be released and then see what happens.

Oh bull****. Root the damn android phones and it is MUCH easier to do so than an iPhone. GB ROM are coming out for the G1 (first android) and a lot of other phones. If the official release doesnt come out for a phone, then there are dozens of Devs that will make it happen...and these ROMs run just like the original. Not to mentioned the Nexus S and the Nexus One already received the latest GB update.

I have an iPhone 3GS and was looking forward to iOS 4.3 due to the hotspot feature, in the Betas the 3GS was fully supported but now in the Golden Master support for this feature on my phone has been pulled. Why? It's just so annoying that it worked perfectly well and Apple's just doing it to try and make me upgrade to a newer model (which won't be happening, I'm done with Apple now). Just goes to show paying the Apple premium doesn't stop you from being left behind. I say left behind, it's a phone their still making there not giving new features to.

The Apple Premium ... or The Apple Tax ... doesn't exist.

It's called 'high quality for the price'.

NONE of the other phones on the market are as slick as the Apple equivalents. Fact. You wont find an OS as smooth (no ... you wont. Don't argue). You wont find hardware as perfectly put together. Apple make quality products for a price. Stop complaining that your old phone doesn't support features that come out later on down the line. Apple give you plenty of time to get a new phone, and most contracts are either 18 months or two years. And by then, free upgrades are usually included in the continuing packages. So by then, Apple assume you'll be upgrading. I will be. I have an iPhone 4 and as soon as my contract allows for upgrading, I'll get iPhone 5 or 6.

Perhaps they discovered problems which you didn't experience during your use? However if 'Ancient' devices like the HTC hero can run hotspot apps then I can't see why the 3GS couldn't, it shouldn't be a processing power issue. Pretty douchy move however if their sole motivation was to promote the iPhone4.

You said "Also I don't see why I should void my warranty and pay for something that Apple's holding back for arbitrary reasons." If you put a custom rom on your Android phone you void the warranty.

Void the warranty is not an issue since you can UNROOT your phone. Not to mention that I sent my rooted phone in for repair and they replaced it no questions asked.

You are upset that a phone that came out almost 2 years ago wont be supported.... lets think about this one... :rolleyes:

And yet that is one of the main arguments Apple fans have against Android phones...aka fragmentation and the lack of quick ROM updates to the latest.

Most likely Jailbreaking your current iPhone (which is possible, do your research :rolleyes:) will be a lot easier than rooting most Android phones lol

Really? i guess the one click room available for most android phones is difficult for Apple users. Granted rooting an android phone used to be a PITA....not anymore.

The Apple Premium ... or The Apple Tax ... doesn't exist.

It's called 'high quality for the price'.

NONE of the other phones on the market are as slick as the Apple equivalents. Fact. You wont find an OS as smooth (no ... you wont. Don't argue). You wont find hardware as perfectly put together. Apple make quality products for a price. Stop complaining that your old phone doesn't support features that come out later on down the line. Apple give you plenty of time to get a new phone, and most contracts are either 18 months or two years. And by then, free upgrades are usually included in the continuing packages. So by then, Apple assume you'll be upgrading. I will be. I have an iPhone 4 and as soon as my contract allows for upgrading, I'll get iPhone 5 or 6.

Apple fanboi alert...

Anyway, I look at this whole situation as completely acceptable. Your phone is getting older, you already should be able to tether if you pay for a tethering plan. That feature was available in iPhone OS 3.0, and in a later release, I think iOS 4.0, could work with at&t. This hotspots feature I believe is just a juiced up tethering feature, nothing special about it. The iPhone 3GS is an affordable iPhone, but any high-end Android phone or Windows Phone (like my Samsung Focus) is a much better choice. If you really want that special experience then go after an iPhone 4 because any older iPhone is no longer special. :p

Perhaps there was an issue with the two different iPhone 3GS models? Not exactly sure why it was removed, but you'll have to upgrade or find another 'solution'

Few problems with that, I have the new bootrom and one of the rarer basebands I think, vast majority of jailbreaks don't work with my model (I say don't work, when a new jailbreak tool comes out I've only seen my baseband listed as a support baseband once). Also I don't see why I should void my warranty and pay for something that Apple's holding back for arbitrary reasons.

It's a phone they still make in huge quantities :p Also I can understand them not bothering but for there engineers to build support for the 3GS and to turn it off at the last moment for no reason is what annoys me.

I read this and KNEW you were full of ****. GREENPOISON SUPPORTS ALL IPHONES WITH OS 4.2.1.

Go do some research before spewing bull****. I'm running my old launch iPhone 3GS old bootrom and brother has a new bootrom, both jailbroken and untethered.

Hrm, there announcement says that it is supported on 3GS:

iOS 4.3 will be available for the original iPad, iPhone 3Gs and 4

...wow... read before you post will you? ...

Apple fanboi alert...

If you knew anything about me as a person, and my use of computers over the years, you'd know I wasn't a fanboy. Making that statement over a post on a forum proves more about your lack of intelligence than anything else :)

Thanks for your worthless comment about me though ... :)