Fuming at Apple: iOS 4.3 on iPhone 3GS

He has a iPhone 3GS which means he is on AT&T. They dont carry Froyo phones. The first phone they will have with 2.2 isnt coming out until 2.3 get released. This is how AT&T makes their money. The cell out dated phones with outdated software that require rooting just to get access to 80% of the Android store. Once you root you don't have a warranty anymore on a brand new device. The only option is paying for expensive insurance on your cell phone. It all amounts to the same issue. No tethering without paying for a new phone that costs 199, which is only 50 more than the best Android phone from AT&T or getting the phone Android phone and spend a $150 over the course of 2 years on insurance.

HTC Aria and Samsung Captivate are both Froyo now (have updates available).

The Apple Premium ... or The Apple Tax ... doesn't exist.

It's called 'high quality for the price'.

NONE of the other phones on the market are as slick as the Apple equivalents. Fact. You wont find an OS as smooth (no ... you wont. Don't argue). You wont find hardware as perfectly put together. Apple make quality products for a price. Stop complaining that your old phone doesn't support features that come out later on down the line. Apple give you plenty of time to get a new phone, and most contracts are either 18 months or two years. And by then, free upgrades are usually included in the continuing packages. So by then, Apple assume you'll be upgrading. I will be. I have an iPhone 4 and as soon as my contract allows for upgrading, I'll get iPhone 5 or 6.

HAHAHAHAHA. Yes high quality for the price. Nice try. I would call iOS many things but smooth is not the word. It barely multi tasks - even on iPhone 4.

HAHAHAHAHA. Yes high quality for the price. Nice try. I would call iOS many things but smooth is not the word. It barely multi tasks - even on iPhone 4.

What the hell are you talking about? iOS is like butter on the iPhone 4 (and 3GS for that matter). Animations are smooth, scrolling is smooth, gestures are very responsive, etc.

As for multitasking, I can go about 7 apps back (depends on which apps I'm running at the time, a game might reduce that down to 5) before I have to actually "reload" an app, and then it just reloads right back into the state it was in after a second or two of waiting (again, depends on the app).

What a great mobile experience.. not!

Rooting and installing a custom ROM to get a simple upgrade for a phone that's less than a year old. In your words: "What a great mobile experience.. not!"

What the hell are you talking about? iOS is like butter on the iPhone 4 (and 3GS for that matter). Animations are smooth, scrolling is smooth, gestures are very responsive, etc.

As for multitasking, I can go about 7 apps back (depends on which apps I'm running at the time, a game might reduce that down to 5) before I have to actually "reload" an app, and then it just reloads right back into the state it was in after a second or two of waiting (again, depends on the app).

I am not (entirely) talking about speed of the interface but "smoothness" of the UI. The lack of any meaningful back button makes it feel clunky. If you are thinking responsiveness then use any decent+recent Android or WP7 device - both handily beat iOS.

What a painful thread.

Just jailbreak your 3GS. It's not permanent, is easily reversible, doesn't kill your warranty, doesn't prevent you from taking the phone to Apple for help (just do a Restore before taking it to them), and it works on all 3GS iPhones.

Stay the hell away from the iPad baseband. It is permanent (so far), and it is *not* reversible. It will kill your warranty and screw up your iPhone, breaking GPS.

Why bother with getting some crummy Android phone? Chances are you will have to jailbreak it as well to get the functionality you want.

The WiFi Hotspot of 4.3 costs money. $540 a year in the USA with AT&T. MyWi is a one time charge of $20.

Also, the availability of the WiFi Hotspot has NOTHING to do with the age of the 3GS. The 8GB 3GS didn't even come out until 8 months ago or so. Apple simply wants you to get an iPhone 4.

I am quite happy with my jailbroken 3GS running 4.2.1, along with my purchased copy of MyWi.

We'll see, no one has seen the GM yet

Considering Apple at today's conference said "only for the iPhone 4," I think that's all the confirmation we need.

I hope they don't restrict Photobooth to just the iPad and release it for all models of iPhones and iPads.

It's just a fun thing to have while you're on the go with friends.

I am not (entirely) talking about speed of the interface but "smoothness" of the UI. The lack of any meaningful back button makes it feel clunky. If you are thinking responsiveness then use any decent+recent Android or WP7 device - both handily beat iOS.

I've used a Samsung Captivate and found the software clunky. Things didn't feel nearly as responsive to my input as on my iPhone. It wasn't running Android 2.2 though.

As for WP7, it does look much more iPhone-like in terms of input responsiveness and fluidness. I honestly don't have any qualms with WP7, but you're not going to find any WiFi hotspot functionality there, so...

The back button in Android and WP7 makes multitasking a little easier, but honestly, three quick taps and I'm switching apps. I don't feel like I'm wasting time.

Just jailbreak your 3GS. It's not permanent, is easily reversible, doesn't kill your warranty, doesn't prevent you from taking the phone to Apple for help (just do a Restore before taking it to them), and it works on all 3GS iPhones.

Why bother with getting some crummy Android phone? Chances are you will have to jailbreak it as well to get the functionality you want.

Am I the only one that finds these two statement incongruous?

If you knew anything about me as a person, and my use of computers over the years, you'd know I wasn't a fanboy. Making that statement over a post on a forum proves more about your lack of intelligence than anything else :)

Thanks for your worthless comment about me though ... :)

Sorry, but you're the one implying the iPhone is like the almighty god as a fact... You're also now speculating I'm mentally challenged for not accepting your *fact*. The iPhone is a piece of **** in my mind because of people like you who act like it does everything and anything. Does it shave your pubes for you too? :laugh:

Oh bull****. Root the damn android phones and it is MUCH easier to do so than an iPhone. GB ROM are coming out for the G1 (first android) and a lot of other phones. If the official release doesnt come out for a phone, then there are dozens of Devs that will make it happen...and these ROMs run just like the original. Not to mentioned the Nexus S and the Nexus One already received the latest GB update.

Official support is gone in less than a year and you call that great customer service? Even if you root your phone and put a custom OS on it, it doesn't work completely. On my HTC Hero I put 2.3 on it, because 2.1 sucked di*k, and not all the features work on it like the camcorder or Wi-Fi hotspot. So you won't get the full value of your phone. Jailbreaking is just as easy, run the program and done. :rolleyes:

Void the warranty is not an issue since you can UNROOT your phone. Not to mention that I sent my rooted phone in for repair and they replaced it no questions asked.

You can unroot/unjailbreak an iPhone also, just restore it. :pinch: Also, my friends have jailbroken iPhone's and they took it to the Apple Genius bar and they replaced their phones no question asked when they stopped working.

For someone that talks a lot of crap about Apple products, you sure don't know much about them. :rolleyes:

Rooting and installing a custom ROM to get a simple upgrade for a phone that's less than a year old. In your words: "What a great mobile experience.. not!"

Owned. *claps* :laugh:

I've never had anyone at Apple give me issue with my jailbroken phone.

I took my phone in once because the SIM card was messed up and the guy looked at my phone--complete with Cydia on the first homescreen--and didn't say a word. He told me nothing seemed to be wrong with the phone and told me to contact AT&T for a new SIM card.

No issue at all.

The iPhone is a piece of **** in my mind because of people like you who act like it does everything and anything. Does it shave your pubes for you too? :laugh:

Im pretty shure it does everything THEY WANT IT TO, just because its not your cup of tea, doesnt mean its bad for everybody. Seems more of a forcing YOUR opinion on other people is what you like.

The iPhone may be the Almighty of phones to them, by all means power to them, that is their opinion. And before you start thinking im just some iPhone fanboy like generally all of you bashers do, i own and use an LG Rumor Touch,previous phone was a WinMo6 Samsung Ace, and the touch does all i need it to.

• Like 3

Im pretty shure it does everything THEY WANT IT TO, just because its not your cup of tea, doesnt mean its bad for everybody. Seems more of a forcing YOUR opinion on other people is what you like.

The iPhone may be the Almighty of phones to them, by all means power to them, that is their opinion. And before you start thinking im just some iPhone fanboy like generally all of you bashers do, i own and use an LG Rumor Touch,previous phone was a WinMo6 Samsung Ace, and the touch does all i need it to.

I own a Samsung Focus and my previous phone was an iPhone 3G and before that I owned an iPod Touch second generation. I'm fine with those who enjoy the iPhone, like for example my brother has the iPhone 4. But the problem lies between their ego and perception... When someone starts saying it's a fact and all this other bull****, that's when I start disrespecting them.

I do not like being around people who act like that, they make themselves look unintelligent because they believe you should see the glowing light from the iPhone and all its glory. I don't see that because I'm not retarded... I don't go around saying my Windows Phone is the best and that's a fact... :s

I like the iOS experience, but the UI needs a revision. I purchased a Zune HD when the third generation iPod Touch did not include a camera, it was not big enough of a step up from my second generation iPod Touch. The iPhone 3G was slow and no longer had the iOS experience like the newer iPhones, and it seems 4.3 doesn't have hotspots for 3GS so it looks like the 3GS it joining the bandwagon of old iPhones too. It is sad when this happens, but what is more sad is knowing getting a new iPhone won't feel that refreshing. That's why I switched to a Zune HD and as of recently, switched to my Samsung Focus, I love it too. :)

You are upset that a phone that came out almost 2 years ago wont be supported.... lets think about this one... :rolleyes:

In Canada @ least standard contracts are 3 years not 2 like in the States so, yes, being upset is fair comment...

HTC Aria and Samsung Captivate are both Froyo now (have updates available).

Yes it does. And rather well for me. Since I have an iPhone 4, and I multitask. Sorry man, but you're wrong, or you're unlucky and have a knackered phone. :) Why are you laughing btw? None of this is a laughing matter :) Nice try? What does that even mean in this context? Do you think I'm Steve Jobs under cover or something? I'm a customer who purchased two Apple products in my whole life. Don't really see what you're getting at. But ah well.

What PI**ES me off here is the complete sack's of sh** who think when you defend a single Apple product or feature, or you even try and open up a different perspective in favour of Apple products of any kind, you're now a 'fanboy' ... It's a moronic view. One day, Apple will ... and this is a genuine thought based on market growth ... one day Apple will be the dominant force in most of the markets they occupy. I include the Mac line of products here. Apple's market share is increasing HUGE amounts ... it may take 10 ... 20 years ... but they will dominate. I have zero problem with this. Does that make me a fanboy? Or do I just like the Apple products I own? It's the latter. I don't scour the web looking for Apple arguments, and I NEVER go into the Windows section looking for a fight. Yet you find so many Windows guys coming into the Apple section and attacking Apple and their products. Those guys are the fanboys.

Sorry, had to rant, because I am a 32 year old guy who doesn't have time to be a fanboy!

Yes it does. And rather well for me. Since I have an iPhone 4, and I multitask. Sorry man, but you're wrong, or you're unlucky and have a knackered phone. :) Why are you laughing btw? None of this is a laughing matter :) Nice try? What does that even mean in this context? Do you think I'm Steve Jobs under cover or something? I'm a customer who purchased two Apple products in my whole life. Don't really see what you're getting at. But ah well.

My hahaha was for this

The Apple Premium ... or The Apple Tax ... doesn't exist.

It's called 'high quality for the price'.

Apple Tax does exist, I don't deny they have good quality but it is not exactly high quality any more. Not since I bought my first Mac or even with iPhone 3G. I am also a customer who has purchased two Apple products so far but it is pointless to justify that Apple prices are only because of high quality.

Compare price of a Samsung Captivate with a iPhone4 today (both launched around the same time period) and you will see Apple tax right there.

One day, Apple will ... and this is a genuine thought based on market growth...

I was in agreement with you until you started saying this...it really does reek of fanboism. I am yet to see any market share reports that show OSX or iOS gaining much at all. Actually hasn't iOS market share (Smartphone) dropped in recent months?

Official support is gone in less than a year and you call that great customer service? Even if you root your phone and put a custom OS on it, it doesn't work completely. On my HTC Hero I put 2.3 on it, because 2.1 sucked di*k, and not all the features work on it like the camcorder or Wi-Fi hotspot. So you won't get the full value of your phone. Jailbreaking is just as easy, run the program and done. :rolleyes:

Wait a second, you are actually complaining that not everything works because you used an UNOFFICIAL hackish install of Android 2.3, that was never intended to run on the HTC Hero in the first place? It seems quite clear to me that you simply haven't got a clue what you're doing when it comes to Android, and frankly you can blame HTC for that, not Google. The Hero is an old, and outdates handset with weak hardware, you can't expect the newest versions of Android to run like clockwork on it.

These kind of posts just prove that the biggest issue is user ignorance, not the platform.

Wait a second, you are actually complaining that not everything works because you used an UNOFFICIAL hackish install of Android 2.3, that was never intended to run on the HTC Hero in the first place? It seems quite clear to me that you simply haven't got a clue what you're doing when it comes to Android, and frankly you can blame HTC for that, not Google. The Hero is an old, and outdates handset with weak hardware, you can't expect the newest versions of Android to run like clockwork on it.

These kind of posts just prove that the biggest issue is user ignorance, not the platform.

You make it sound like the phone came out in 2007 or something... :rolleyes: It's just been a year and a half since it came out and was still being sold not that long ago :/ Android has a HUGE problem of dropping phones support for newer OS versions (since the upgrade has to be done by the manufacturer)

He was replying to the earlier statement where techbeck said that you could install a custom ROM on an Android phone and have everything working correctly like the original, which unfortunately isn't always the case. Hell, even the current Cyanogenmod for my wife's HTC Desire doesn't work 100% out of the box, which is why I'm patiently waiting on my carrier to release a proper Froyo ROM update for it.

I was in agreement with you until you started saying this...it really does reek of fanboism. I am yet to see any market share reports that show OSX or iOS gaining much at all. Actually hasn't iOS market share (Smartphone) dropped in recent months?

I guess I am more geared towards the desktop market here then .... have you seen Apple's growth there? It's insane.

Anyways, regardless, I love my iMac and iPhone, but I don't have any other Apple products, and I have various Windows PC's here too (I think Windows 7 is a fantastic OS and still say so even while I have a Mac). I'm the furthest from fanboy you will ever meet. I don't stay loyal to companies for the name. I did when I was 10. I loved Nintendo even though they allowed Pit Fighter to exist on the SNES LOL! Fanboys annoy me. I wont defend Apple if they don't keep making great products. They're just a company after all.