8.8 earthquake in japan , tsunami warnings indonesia, russia

That is not a smart or right thing to say whatsoever. You are not right in your head.

How old are you again?

Well its clearly no one here is a fan of arrmagedon type of desaters....

24 and yes that means canada...

and it mite be a clear sigh that 2012 maybe the end of the world as we know it (not in a "poof Gone type of way") maybe the end of the way use use to live and well have to change are way.... really it is acutally turly fasanating to watch unfold.

BTW Winds vier to the east FYI

I jsut really really want to see a Full blowed nuclear plant melt-down... ya ever since I played the classice "Sim City"

except in real live the radeation would go airborn, Travel with the wind, and were ever it would settle down it kill thing instently and slowly, included fish, trees, people, and animals.

its like a real life arrmagedon movie in the making...

Watch Chernobyl. That's good enough, we don't need another one.

I'm not a fan of families being riped apart... Also most people are most likely going off of your spelling and grammar.

I jsut really really want to see a Full blowed nuclear plant melt-down... ya ever since I played the classice "Sim City"

except in real live the radeation would go airborn, Travel with the wind, and were ever it would settle down it kill thing instently and slowly, included fish, trees, people, and animals.

Grow up already

and it mite be a clear sigh that 2012 maybe the end of the world as we know it (not in a "poof Gone type of way") maybe the end of the way use use to live and well have to change are way.... really it is acutally turly fasanating to watch unfold.

You are truly ignorant, Armageddon is a movie not something to hope for in real life. BTW, the winds normally go west, its a noreaster right now so they are also going east. You need to see a professional about your mental state....And please use a spell check once in a while, you look even more childish when you cant take the time to check your spelling.

i don't know you, nor do I care to know you. And I've never wished anything bad on somebody, but wish the worst for you sir. Honestly.

i don't know you, nor do I care to know you. And I've never wished anything bad on somebody, but wish the worst for you sir. Honestly.

He wants attention stop indulging the idiot :p. What will happen when it melts down, and how much of Japan will be affected? This is just spit balling based off what I remember from my high school ap science class, but if the core is cracked is there still a way to prevent a meltdown?

He wants attention stop indulging the idiot :p. What will happen when it melts down, and how much of Japan will be affected?

Not sure, I really hope they get some kind of miracle and this gets fixed.. I'm concerned what's going to happen over night... :s

I wish I had a better understanding of this nuclear stuff, so I could better understand what is happening here :/

It's quite simple actually. Mankind has succeeded in creating something that once let loose, he has no control over any more. Nothing in our vast technological resource pool as a species knows how to deal with a full meltdown, because, well it's never happened before.

Fun fact: Prior to the very first detonation of a nuclear-based weapon at Los Alamos back in the day, the scientists weren't exactly sure the chain reaction would even stop at just the test area.

He wants attention stop indulging the idiot :p. What will happen when it melts down, and how much of Japan will be affected? This is just spit balling based off what I remember from my high school ap science class, but if the core is cracked is there still a way to prevent a meltdown?

If the reactor is running at 100% when this happens, no. The second the fuel rods are fully exposed to the air the reaction becomes uncontrollable. Essentially nuclear power is the same power you observe from a nuclear bomb but slowed down to a pace which can be harnessed for power in terms of heat. The difference is a nuclear bomb puts all this power to use in a fraction of a second. Once the D2O or coolant is not keeping the active fuel rods at a manageable temperature the fuel rods will melt causing a chain reaction. The thing is, the reactors at Fukushima aren't running at 100%, not anymore anyways. They're actually not running at all, but the fuel rods are still active making it very critical to cool those rods down. We were taught that most modern reactors have a mechanical fail-safe shutdown device, in the case of a power failure or reactor problem, the reactor itself could be quickly shut down. I guess somewhere in between that, the cooling systems failed rendering the shutdown system useless.

It's quite simple actually. Mankind has succeeded in creating something that once let loose, he has no control over any more. Nothing in our vast technological resource pool as a species knows how to deal with a full meltdown, because, well it's never happened before.

Yes it has. Chernobyl. Complete meltdown, the reactor lid was blasted right off the reactor and radioactive dust was spewed into the atmosphere affecting most of Europe days afterwards.

Yes it has. Chernobyl. Complete meltdown, the reactor lid was blasted right off the reactor and radioactive dust was spewed into the atmosphere affecting most of Europe days afterwards.

It is considered the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, and it is the only one classified as a level 7 event on the International Nuclear Event Scale. It was consider a part partial melt-down.

Despite the accident, Ukraine continued to operate the remaining reactors at Chernobyl for many years. The last reactor at the site was closed down in 2000, 14 years after the accident.

if this one melts-down it could take all reactors with it leading to a full melt-down.

Level 7: Major accidentImpact on People and Environment

Major release of radio?active ?material with widespread health and environmental effects r?equiring implementation of planned and extended ?countermeasures

Chernobyl disaster, 26 April 1986. A power surge during a test procedure resulted in a criticality accident, leading to a powerful steam explosion and fire that released a significant fraction of core material into the environment, resulting in a death toll of 56 as well as estimated 4,000 additional cancer fatalities among people exposed to elevated doses of radiation. As a result, the city of Chernobyl (pop. 14,000) was largely abandoned, and the larger city of Prypiat (pop. 49,400) was completely abandoned. The disaster also brought about the creation of the so-called Zone of Alienation. The Chernobyl disaster is the only Level 7 Event that has ever occurred.

Not a complete meltdown and by the way, there's no less than 5 reactors that will utterly and completely meltdown.

It is considered the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, and it is the only one classified as a level 7 event on the International Nuclear Event Scale. It was consider a part partial melt-down.

Despite the accident, Ukraine continued to operate the remaining reactors at Chernobyl for many years. The last reactor at the site was closed down in 2000, 14 years after the accident.

if this one melts-down it could take all reactors with it leading to a full melt-down.

Can you cite that? I'm not arguing that a full meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear plant wouldn't be disastrous considering it's 100 times more powerful than Chernobyl was. I'd like to see the science behind the statement that Chernobyl wasn't a full meltdown, I'm always interested in learning new things about Chernobyl.

Can you cite that? I'm not arguing that a full meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear plant wouldn't be disastrous considering it's 100 times more powerful than Chernobyl was. I'd like to see the science behind the statement that Chernobyl wasn't a full meltdown.

A full meltdown require all Ractors and all Cores to "explord" leaving nothing left (ie building inoperable) also uselly leaving the entire surruding area lifeless....

the Chernobly accdent left the building still useible

the real Diffrence here is

Chernobly only effect 2 cites (not very large ones) and the surrdoung land but left the build still managble and useible.

If Fukushima melts-down it could leave toyko and surround areas bassscily dead. not only that but the fall out on the ocean will have a huge impact on marein life as well as a large soruce of sea-food....Also if it dose melt it be the largest nuclear disaster in history.

the world as a hole will suffer not just 2 Cities and surrnding land.

------------------------

Lesson :

do not build a nuclear plant near /Oceans/Seas (small/medum lakes are fine just in case u have to Pump water into the reactors. As a last resort)

do not build a nuclear plant near large populated areas.

do not build a nuclear plant near or on a fault line.

A full meltdown require all Ractors and all Cores to "explord" leaving nothing left (ie building inoperable) also uselly leaving the entire surruding area lifeless....

Chernobly only effect 2 cites (not very large ones) and the surrdoung land but left the build still managble and useible.

If Fukushima melts-down it could leave toyko and surround areas bassscily dead. not only that but the fall out on the ocean will have a huge impact on marein life as well as a large soruce of sea-food....Also if it dose melt it be the largest nuclear disaster in history.

No, a full meltdown requires the fuel rods to completely melt within a reactor as a result to the high temperatures caused by the reaction. It has nothing to do with if multiple cores meltdown or a single one does. If a reactor vessel is breached due to the melting of the fuel rods and radioactive material is released, it is a full meltdown. They already think that reactors 1 and 3 in Fukushima have experienced a partial meltdown.

Although I am no expert on Chernobyl, I am very interested as the science behind why it would be a partial meltdown vs a complete meltdown. Looking at the definitions between both, Chernobyl certainly looks like a full meltdown.

The only reason I could see Chernobyl not being a complete meltdown is because not all of the fuel was spent during the meltdown that occurred. It wasn't far from a complete meltdown then, you're simply arguing semantics.

three incidents and now volcano :(

god! wouldn't be far fatched to say the ammount of damage would be equalvent of devastation of WW2 in japan :/

------------------------

Lesson :

do not build a nuclear plant near /Oceans/Seas (small/medum lakes are fine just in case u have to Pump water into the reactors. As a last resort)

do not build a nuclear plant near large populated areas.

do not build a nuclear plant near or on a fault line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_meltdown

A nuclear meltdown is an informal term for a severe nuclear reactor accident that results in core damage from overheating. The term is not officially defined by the International Atomic Energy Agency[1] or by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.[2]

A meltdown occurs when a severe failure of a nuclear power plant system prevents proper cooling of the reactor core, to the extent that the nuclear fuel assemblies overheat and melt, either partially or completely. A meltdown is considered very serious because of the potential that radioactive materials could be released into the environment. A core meltdown will also render the reactor unstable until it is repaired. The scrapping and disposal of the reactor core will incur substantial costs for the operator.

If the primary pressure boundary is not substantially breached by corium, the accident is described as a "partial meltdown", and the chain of events stops when satisfactory cooling of the remaining fuel, corium, and the RPV is restored. A partial meltdown is an INES Level 4 or 5 accident, depending on the degree of damage. If the primary pressure boundary is substantially breached by corium, the accident is described as a "full meltdown", which is an INES Level 5 accident and can escalate to INES Level 6 if events progress in a highly prejudicial fashion. The longer the reactor operators are able to retain the fission products within the containment, the less radioactive material will be released. The most highly radioactive isotopes in a fission product mixture are short lived. For example if all the iodine in a core was released one week after shutdown, then the thyroid dose suffered by the population would be lower than if the radioiodine had escaped the plant one hour after the reactor was stopped.

Basically, if you have a have a nuclear site with 4 separate reactors, you can still have a full meltdown in one reactor but not the other 3. As for the rest, you have no clue how a nuclear reactor works. If you had any clue, you would know about nuclear plants and WATER COOLING.

You really should just stop talking

It's quite sad to see they'll have to write off two of those reactor units.

It's better to write-off two reactors than to bury 10 or 20 thousand people killed by radiation.

Jesus Almighty ! That has got to be the scariest video I have seen of the disaster. The water rose so fast and the sound is just scary. Wow just wow.

STFU idiot :angry: . This is not a stupid game nor a movie you crazy moron, this are real people loosing their lives out there. You should show more respect and stop writing so much nonsense.

Please, just stop talking. While natural disasters can be awe-inspiring, and while we are witnessing a moment of history in the making, there is common decency and respect. You are showing neither, especially comparing this horrific and tragic event to video games and films.

Also, your spelling and grammar are sub-par.