is XP SP3 still a good OS for today's computing?

XP Sucks, end of story, if i were microsoft id would have shut off support ages ago for xp

So what was a good MS OS that came out before Vista then? I'll laugh if you say "none", as if Vista was magically the first good OS they made, and they somehow managed to stick around till then.

XP Sucks, end of story, if i were microsoft id would have shut off support ages ago for xp

Comments like this, or ones which say everyone should upgrade to Windows 7 NOW make me laugh, nobody seems to consider how many companies rely on Windows XP for there day to day business and really could not afford to loose XP or absorb the R&D costs to fully test everything to work under Windows 7 (yes including testing apps work in a virtual environment cause not all do)

A few for examples of companies that I know would be seriously in trouble without XP:

Motor Vehicle companies (sales, repair, manufacturing)

Hotels and Inns

Pubs, bars and nightclubs

The NAVY, their navigation and weapons systems would not be working

So XP keeping going and being supported by Microsoft is a good thing, and it still gives companies the time and chance to make the slow move away before all support is removed.

No, it's not a good choice for an OS anymore. XP is far too out dated to continue to choose to use as an OS. If you already have it and can't afford to upgrade right now (in the case of businesses), then I understand keeping it. Hell, I'm using XP on my work computer right now and it does get the job done, but there's no reason to use it anymore. it's already running out of time for support, and it's because they are trying to get rid of it so they can focus efforts on more pertinent software. I wouldn't suggest XP to anyone anymore.

I just got done ordering a i5 beast of a machine. Guess what I am going to run on it? Nope! Wrong answer! XP for life. That bloated, slow, monstrosity that is Windows 7 might find a home on the 3rd partition but I'll boot into it only when I need to help someone out.

I just got done ordering a i5 beast of a machine. Guess what I am going to run on it? Nope! Wrong answer! XP for life. That bloated, slow, monstrosity that is Windows 7 might find a home on the 3rd partition but I'll boot into it only when I need to help someone out.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Care to throw some money my way while you're wasting it?

I think FalsePositive will find Windows 7 to boot and load programs faster than winxp on that machine. If you have a spare drive, take a stop watch to it. I noticed a significant improvement in speed with win7 on a core2 duo laptop with 2gb of ram over winxp. While you may think it is bloated, it is pretty refined.

Ugh.

/thread now and lock it.

• Like 2

XP for me until this computer dies. No reason to do an upgrade. No heavy/business use that would require me to look at it differently.

and what type of specs you running cause i bet the money you spend on that machine if good or decent specked would run better last longer wi windows 7 on it for sure.

Now I know you haven't used 7. Most stable Windows version out there. It's a year and a half old, and has a SP already. It's tried and true. No reason not to be using it now.

So you're wasting half your hardware for nothing then? If you can, and have no dependance on XP, I would upgrade soon.

well the only dependence i have with XP is that a few of my games did not work or if they did, they would partially work. other than that Win7 was great and did not slow down like XP did.i will have to test those same games again to see if they work or not.

well the only dependence i have with XP is that a few of my games did not work or if they did, they would partially work. other than that Win7 was great and did not slow down like XP did.i will have to test those same games again to see if they work or not.

If all you have left is a need to run a few games, you should try a dual boot setup if you can. :D

What games?

and what type of specs you running cause i bet the money you spend on that machine if good or decent specked would run better last longer wi windows 7 on it for sure.

No idea about specs. It was bought for the kids while in school. They done and gone, left it at the house. Use to check email/news only. Keep it updated and that is about it.

Enjoy wasting your (parents?) money then. That hardware will not be properly utilized by Windows XP. XP for life? Well too bad all support for it ends in 3 years, then you're SOL. Maybe it's time to educate yourself, because computers just don't seem to be right for you if you think XP is going to be the best OS of choice on a modern machine. :no:

I just built an i7 system with 16 GB of RAM, a Radeon crossfire setup and a huge SSD. Guess what I'm going to run on it...

OS/2 for life!

I just built an i7 system with 16 GB of RAM, a Radeon crossfire setup and a huge SSD. Guess what I'm going to run on it...

os2.big.png OS/2 for life!

No man. I think you should go for DOS. Why waste 15 1/2 GB of your RAM, when you can waste all of it?

Enjoy wasting your (parents?) money then. That hardware will not be properly utilized by Windows XP. XP for life? Well too bad all support for it ends in 3 years, then you're SOL. Maybe it's time to educate yourself, because computers just don't seem to be right for you if you think XP is going to be the best OS of choice on a modern machine. :no:

Couldn't have said it better myself. He might as well just run Windows 1.01 on it.

"Published August 7, 2009, 7:17 PM" :laugh: Fool.

And we've had how many browser updates since August 2009? Oh, and a whopping 13%. Color me impressed. If it takes about 2 seconds for a browser to load on 7, then it would take 1.74 seconds on XP. Lord knows what you could achieve in life with that extra 0.26 seconds you just saved. :woot:

Windows 7 fanboys never disappoint. :laugh:

How about actually refuting the facts thrown at you? Simply saying Windows 7 fanboys never disappoint is just an admission of your own ignorance. The link you provided is over 18 months old. The tests used involved Chrome 3....and we're on Chrome 10. Seriously, find another field other than computers, because you're simply not educated enough to provide any real insight. Go back to school, child.