is XP SP3 still a good OS for today's computing?

.____.

Grunt is right - your internet connection issues are likely related to some form of malware infection. Which in most cases comes down to either PEBCAK or ID-10-T issues.

XP64 has quite a few issues with software and hardware compatibility. I know, because I used to run it at home.

Also, I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I don't think you can upgrade from XP32 to 64 for free. They are two different MS products, built on two different code bases. I know that Vista and 7 allow you to use the same serial for either version, but I don't think XP is the same.

I think you are horribly confused. Nobody here is bashing 7. Ok, some are, but most people are simply saying that there are still reasons to stay with XP, regardless of 7's improvements. First off, XP compatibility doesn't work for everything, and this has been mentioned a few times, so please, stop parroting that. Just because it works for your games, doesn't mean it works for all. That's a logical fallacy.

Second off, for pete's sake, please take the time to use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It's a holy terror trying to decipher your posts.

Actually, you *can* crossgrade between them for free - XP64 was, in fact, the first mainstream Microsoft x64 desktop operating system, and the decision to allow bitness crossgrades was deliberate on Microsoft's part, and XP64 was the starting place. (CD keys are, in fact, identical between the x32 and x64 versions of XP Professional - however, that is not the case with any other versions of XP, including MCE 2002/2005, which is a superset of XP Professional x32.)

Yes - there are issues with hardware and software capability with XP64 - a greater number than with Vista x64, for example. However, the issues boil down to three - lack of drivers for niche/esoteric hardware, the use of 16-bit installers (including earlier versions of InstallShield and Microsoft's own installer) and customized DLLs in some applications and games. That's why doing your due-diligence is critical in any crossgrade (or upgrade, for that matter).

His point (and mine as well) are that in most cases, when an application may well be compatibility-mode hostile, it usually is not VM-hostile. (So far, I've run into a grand total of one utility - Cisco TelePresence - that is both x64-hostile *and* VM-hostile; however, no games fall into that category. I know because I personally have tried - including several that are known to be DOSBox-hostile; they run just fine on DOS in a VM.)

I can understand you wanting to stick with what you have - it works for you. However, you may well find yourself forced to move, if only by events; therefore, start doing that due-diligence now.

Personally I don't know why you're including XP x64, considering it's Server 2003 x64 SP1 with XP's interface and the server components removed, nothing more.

Because the XP64 SKU is a different focus - the desktop, not the server closet.

The dilemma Microsoft faced is that some folks were running that same OS - Server 2003 x64 - as a *desktop OS*. (Why? Security, security, security and stability, stability, stability. No Aero, and it didn't support as much hardware as XP Professional x32 - however, even Server 2003 x32 was far more stable than XP32 where hardware support was identical. That was the reason for XP64, and the Vista and 7-based X64 followups.)

I crossgraded for those reasons (from Vista x32 to Vista x64) - unlike some, I had *zero* application or gaming issues (what games were compatibility-mode hostile were not VM-hostile). I had no hardware issues, either.

However, that is why I included XP64 - it has most of the advantages the OP said he needed, including the same UI, so the differences from a user standpoint are basically none, but without XP32's liabilities or limitations.

Are restart times really that important? How many times are most people restarting there machines? Personally I just restart when I install the latest windows update.

I was joking. It was in reference to that guy who was posting all those "XP is faster than 7 at x" articles.

Personally, I'm waiting for ReactOS to reach beta. (Currently in alpha state)

It's an open-source OS based around the NT specifications. They're coding their own kernel from the ground up, with the aim of making it 100% NT compatible.

(don't get your hopes up, they've been in alpha for a very long time

So am I, I heard about this a long time ago and thought they had stopped development. It's good to hear that it hasn't.

XP64 has quite a few issues with software and hardware compatibility. I know, because I used to run it at home.

Also, I could be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I don't think you can upgrade from XP32 to 64 for free. They are two different MS products, built on two different code bases. I know that Vista and 7 allow you to use the same serial for either version, but I don't think XP is the same.

I think you are horribly confused. Nobody here is bashing 7. Ok, some are, but most people are simply saying that there are still reasons to stay with XP, regardless of 7's improvements. First off, XP compatibility doesn't work for everything, and this has been mentioned a few times, so please, stop parroting that. Just because it works for your games, doesn't mean it works for all. That's a logical fallacy.

Second off, for pete's sake, please take the time to use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It's a holy terror trying to decipher your posts.

i siad XP mode not XP computability mode http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode i run some games older ones using this and itr works flawless but only rare games need it other work fine in windows 7

Personally, I'm waiting for ReactOS to reach beta. (Currently in alpha state)

It's an open-source OS based around the NT specifications. They're coding their own kernel from the ground up, with the aim of making it 100% NT compatible.

(don't get your hopes up, they've been in alpha for a very long time

They may achieve binary compatibility with Windows applications, but you will NEVER get a functional experience that won't be at least 2-3 generations behind. ReactOS would be a nice idea if all you wanted to do was browse the web and send the occasional email, but for anything more serious it wouldn't be all that useful.

I was joking. It was in reference to that guy who was posting all those "XP is faster than 7 at x" articles.

Oops sorry, I quoted the wrong person.

XP Needs to die

I thought the same thing, until I upgraded :D

See my post above for some quick thoughts after upgrading. XP is a breath of fresh air compared with 7. :D

I'm one of the last XP users and I want to install 7 onto a separate hard drive, but I'm not sure which one to install. Should I go for the 32 bit or 64 bit? I know how to determine if I have a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system by checking system under control panel, and it doesn't say that I have 64 bit. That means I have the 32 bit. The problem is, my processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4gz, which according to Intel's page is listed as a 64 bit processor. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27250 I currently only have 2gb of Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz. I've heard that 64 bit is really only worth it if you have 4gb or more. I'm also worried about driver support. My video card is an older 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. Will I be able to run Aero? Is it better to run the 64 bit or 32 bit? I'll be installing a legal copy of Home Premium. Thanks to all those that help! I really want Win 7 badly!!

We just came across a situation at work where 2 of our hardware vendors have told us that the summer models we'll be seeing will not have XP support or drivers for them. If the chipset, audio, gfx vendor offer XP drivers we are free to load XP on them until the Win7 migration kicks in, but there is no support for it from the vendors we work with.

So, is XP SP3 a good OS for today's computing? On old hardware, sure. New hardware, not a chance and don't get mad if there is little to no support in the comings months or years until April 2014 rolls around.

I'm one of the last XP users and I want to install 7 onto a separate hard drive, but I'm not sure which one to install. Should I go for the 32 bit or 64 bit? I know how to determine if I have a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system by checking system under control panel, and it doesn't say that I have 64 bit. That means I have the 32 bit. The problem is, my processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4gz, which according to Intel's page is listed as a 64 bit processor. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27250 I currently only have 2gb of Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz. I've heard that 64 bit is really only worth it if you have 4gb or more. I'm also worried about driver support. My video card is an older 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. Will I be able to run Aero? Is it better to run the 64 bit or 32 bit? I'll be installing a legal copy of Home Premium. Thanks to all those that help! I really want Win 7 badly!!

Try running the upgrade advisor. It'll answer all your questions!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

We just came across a situation at work where 2 of our hardware vendors have told us that the summer models we'll be seeing will not have XP support or drivers for them. If the chipset, audio, gfx vendor offer XP drivers we are free to load XP on them until the Win7 migration kicks in, but there is no support for it from the vendors we work with.

Sucks for those that think they can install it forever on new hardware. The upgrade is coming whether people are ready or not.

Unless...... Neowin has a Save XP campaign. :shiftyninja:

Memory is cheap, if you can swing the upgrade to 4GB I'd highly recommend it. The ATI 1300Pro is compatible I believe. I have my brother in laws computer that I loaded Win7 64bit on to and I am 99% sure it was a 1300 Pro Gfx card (too lazy to crack the case to check, sorry). Win7 64bit will run on 2GB just fine, a minor upgrade in memory won't hurt.

Sucks for those that think they can install it forever on new hardware.

It certainly does; we're trying our hardest to get off of WinXP today, but we'll probably run right up to the April 2014 End of Life date before we see it gone.

Memory is cheap, if you can swing the upgrade to 4GB I'd highly recommend it. The ATI 1300Pro is compatible I believe. I have my brother in laws computer that I loaded Win7 64bit on to and I am 99% sure it was a 1300 Pro Gfx card (too lazy to crack the case to check, sorry). Win7 64bit will run on 2GB just fine, a minor upgrade in memory won't hurt.

It certainly does; we're trying our hardest to get off of WinXP today, but we'll probably run right up to the April 2014 End of Life date before we see it gone.

Yeah, I might do that. If I don't get an extra 2gb of ram, it's still wise to go with the 64 bit? I won't be screwed in terms of driver support?

i siad XP mode not XP computability mode http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode i run some games older ones using this and itr works flawless but only rare games need it other work fine in windows 7

I apologize then, but even so, I'm still having a hard time understanding why it would be worth it for someone to spend an extra 150 - 250 if they already have a valid XP license, and it works. I mean, surely you must understand that just because you are willing to go and spend that kind of money on an OS, doesn't mean everyone is?

I apologize then, but even so, I'm still having a hard time understanding why it would be worth it for someone to spend an extra 150 - 250 if they already have a valid XP license, and it works. I mean, surely you must understand that just because you are willing to go and spend that kind of money on an OS, doesn't mean everyone is?

if you want updated security and a faster system that is has features common and not so common users will use then yes they will spend it. no reason they should not go windows 7.

7 is far more stable

7 is far more secure

7 is far more faster in everything you can possible do

7 requires less maintaining

7 Pro comes with a Free XP pro licence for XP Mode

7 Offers very compelling intutive user interface driven by your GPU

7 offers some good end user features ( Aero Peek Aero Snap) My mom loves both of those features witch she found on her own. Good Tech friend of mine uses them daily .

7 is the most updated version of windows there is to take advantage of new and older hardware in ways XP never was coded to do or nor was capable of.

7 Windows 7 is just a more robust version of windows that anyone can use with in moments of booting up . Took my mom just 2 min to figure out how to use windows 7 from moving on from XP witch took her 5 months of calling me to go ( How do you do this in XP )

7 do i need to say more

xpvs7reboot.png

That's kind of funny; who reboots their computer so often that a 20 second difference would matter? Oh, I know - an XP User. I remember now. I reboot once a month with 7 just for updates to install and configure in Windows 7. I was rebooting XP a couple of times a week. But with Windows 7 and an SSD, my restart time is 20 seconds to logon screen. It used to be cool to bash XP. Like in 2008. But c'mon, it's nearly 10 years old! This is like someone bashing Windows 98 back in 2005 saying they'll be sticking to Windows 95 for now. Or NT4.

I was trying to be funny. Guess I didn't do a good job.

I got it! That was a good one. :p

if i recall right. it was: mech commander 2(it did kinda work, but if i tried to change the quality settings or anything it would get messed up and barely be useable), star trek armada 2(kept crashing everytime i launched it), Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations(would work sometimes, also at times it wanted admin rights but other times even with admin rights, it would act up). star trek legacy(4 installs because of seperate mods for each)(it would sometimes not work)star trek bridge commander(everytime i quit the game, the compatability thing came up and when it crashed windows error reporting came up(that's normal for something that crashes) but very soon, i am planning on having 7 on here again with xp, so i can see if those problems do happen again or not.

Can't speak for some of the Star Trek games, but I have Bridge Commander, and I've never had an issue with it other than the occasional crash from running it too long, which occured regardless of OS. Other than that, it ran fine across the board, be it XP, Vista, or 7, even after modding the hell out of it with not just Kobayashi Maru but tons of other addons from bcfiles.

Most computers that I fix still have windows xp and their problem is malware, mostly fake security software. Some people who refuse to update should update to more secure platform. I always recommend to update.

You are not grasping this concept that you and other people have different perspectives on what 200 dollars is worth

oh yes i do and for that $200 or less depending where ya buy those users those people will shell the money out if they know they will have a better secure system and that will last longer. hell again i my mom is on windows 7 on her older system because i put it on there for her but for her to shell the money out was easy not cause she wanted it her self but she told me she wanted the most updated software for her computer. My aunt and uncle had windows XP on there newer system and yet they upgraded to windows 7 and they are like my mom not tech savy users they know nothing hardly but they knew 7 offered better security.

and i am sure you will find more and more people willing to fork the money over if they have it to get windows 7 if they still run windows XP. i know of a few business in my town that went windows 7 on Day 1 because they was tired of windows XP and having crashes and or just issues so they upgraded and now they are problem free all there software works on 7 and they have yet to had to call a computer repair so yea i do get it but people get that running an old Os leaves them valnurable no matter how secure your router makes you or other software

That's kind of funny; who reboots their computer so often that a 20 second difference would matter? Oh, I know - an XP User. I remember now. I reboot once a month with 7 just for updates to install and configure in Windows 7. I was rebooting XP a couple of times a week. But with Windows 7 and an SSD, my restart time is 20 seconds to logon screen. It used to be cool to bash XP. Like in 2008. But c'mon, it's nearly 10 years old! This is like someone bashing Windows 98 back in 2005 saying they'll be sticking to Windows 95 for now. Or NT4.

So very true! Since moving on to Windows 7, reboots are only necessary when updates or software installations require it. It is so much more stable than XP ever was. I recently kept my office machine (Win7 Pro x64) running for over 3 weeks without a reboot with absolutely no degradation in performance.

Right on bro! To 2014 and beyond! Xp forever! :wub: