Windows Phone 7

Some bad news for people, depending on your carrier and where you live.

My link

First up is Deutsche Telekom in Germany, they say NoDo "at the end of April".

And second up, o2 have announced on Twitter that they are working with Microsoft to bring the NoDo update to Windows Phone 7 (HTC HD 7) customers in early April.

Twitter

My Omnia7 pre-NoDo has firmware 2424.10.9.13 (it's 3UK branded). Would be very interested to hear if anyone with this revision has installed NoDo and if the firmware was updated...

That's interesting. I'm with 3UK as well so I wonder why my firmware revision is higher than yours. When you say pre-Nodo do you mean that you applied the update that came out a couple of weeks ago?

Some bad news for people, depending on your carrier and where you live.

My link

First up is Deutsche Telekom in Germany, they say NoDo "at the end of April".

And second up, o2 have announced on Twitter that they are working with Microsoft to bring the NoDo update to Windows Phone 7 (HTC HD 7) customers in early April.

Twitter

It would be useful if MS could explain why users are still seeing these sorts of delays after the release of the update. I expected that Microsoft would manage the release after ccarrier input during the testing phase so it's not clear why carriers are holding up the process now.

That's interesting. I'm with 3UK as well so I wonder why my firmware revision is higher than yours. When you say pre-Nodo do you mean that you applied the update that came out a couple of weeks ago?

It would be useful if MS could explain why users are still seeing these sorts of delays after the release of the update. I expected that Microsoft would manage the release after ccarrier input during the testing phase so it's not clear why carriers are holding up the process now.

Nope, I have not applied any updates. Perhaps the phones ship with a different firmware revision depending on when it as manufactured?

MS is a bunch of hypocrite. After attacking Android for being fragmented this, fragmented that and for delaying updates, now they let the carriers do their bidding and that means months of delay. In the end, it is the same as Android. Months from now, I am sure some handsets still have 7004, just like my Samsung Focus.

**** you Microsoft (and AT&T).

P.S. If any of you know how to update a AT&T Samsung Focus, please let me know. Should have sticked with Android instead... This is a very frustrating experience.

For those of us with Samsung Focus on Rogers I tweeted their support last night and received this response.

"We have no information at this time."

Best thing we can do is create as much noise as possible to either force the carriers to stop with this nonsense or to force Microsoft to step in.

MS is a bunch of hypocrite. After attacking Android for being fragmented this, fragmented that and for delaying updates, now they let the carriers do their bidding and that means months of delay. In the end, it is the same as Android. Months from now, I am sure some handsets still have 7004, just like my Samsung Focus.

P.S. If any of you know how to update a AT&T Samsung Focus, please let me know. Should have sticked with Android instead... This is a very frustrating experience.

Point your blame at AT&T. I don't think Microsoft was in much of a bargaining position. But something needs to be done here, and the people who own these phones need to make a fuss to make this nonsense as visible as possible.

For those of us with Samsung Focus on Rogers I tweeted their support last night and received this response.

"We have no information at this time."

Best thing we can do is create as much noise as possible to either force the carriers to stop with this nonsense or to force Microsoft to step in.

Yeah I kinda want my update. Not that Roger's redboard doesn't cherrypick what they answer *tongue firmly planted in cheek*

While I appreciate your frustration, I would point out that Android's fragmentation isn't to do with delayed updates, it's to do with not all devices running the same version. All WP7s will recieve the update (some perhaps unfortunately delayed by carriers, but they will recieve it). Furthermore, Android's fragmentation is largely a result of large hardware diversity and insufficient hardware abstraction, giving a wide range of possible execution environments. Regardless of the state of WP7's updates, its significantly better abstraction and app development model obviates any possible hardware diversity fragmentation.

You know, I'm starting to think MS shoudl just let you manual get the new version and via your PC etc and slap a big "at your own risk" note on it so that the carriers or MS doesn't get any blame. But then people won't have to wait either. I think that's a fair tradeoff, and the fact you can rollback if the update has problems (as long as your phone doesn't brick of course) means there's less of a risk.

I don't think it's encessary anythign to do with operators at this time.

my Trophy 7 hasn't gotten the update yet, it's it's fully open and unbranded. I think this is just a matter of a standard procedure staggered release.

Nope, I have not applied any updates. Perhaps the phones ship with a different firmware revision depending on when it as manufactured?

Are you deliberately avoiding the pre-Nodo update because it should have been offered to you a few weeks ago.

Don't be so ridiculous. Only a few days ago you were posting about how happy you are with your Focus and now you're crying because you may have to wait a while for a tiny update. You're no worse off than you were yesterday so stop being so irrational and impatient.

Listen Microsoft should have their foot on the throats of the Carriers telling them you've had enough time to test the update. You cant excuse whats going on, no matter how much of a fan of MS you are. Delays are part of the game I get it. Its the end of March and I cant get a simple update? Theres no revolutionary feature they are introducing. Copy/Paste and some fixes. That's it. My frustration isnt so much wanting those fixes but the realization that probably every update is gonna be like this.

There's a reason why alot of people have no faith in WP7. This is drives that point home for them.

I'd be more impatient/excited if it wasn't such a minor turd of an update to begin with. I'm so disappointed with MS and their failing attempt to resurrect their mobile line. I quite agree downhillrider, my faith is erroding quickly.

Again, this isn't carriers holding back. some may be that, but since open/unbranded/carrier free phones also aren't all getting it yet, it's simply a case of a staggered release, which just happens to be SOP.

I'd be more impatient/excited if it wasn't such an unimpressive minor turd of an update to begin with. I'm so disappointed with MS.

They always said it was going to be minor from the start though, way back in Dec iirc. I know people want answers as to why it's taken and taking so long but knowing that isn't going to help. If you can get enough people to moan to your carrier or MS that could speed things up, maybe, but it'd be hard to do.

For all the sales and market gains Android has they don't get updates any faster either. Hell at least we know every Windows Phone will get updated regardless, timing could be faster yes but on the plus side at least you know the phone you picked won't get left out when it's all said and done.

I think the majority of WP7 owners will get NoDo before MiX with a small percentage later for whatever reason their carrier decided to hold off. I think MS should play the "download at your own risk" card for those who don't want to wait for the carrier green light and just grab the updates manually. Like, actually download some package or something and not go through the update system in place with the Zune software. This way the carriers who use "testing" as an excuse can't be held liable for some update going wrong. After that point they shouldn't give a damn. Really, it's not like getting this update on old phones will hold off sales of a new device, there are no new devices unless you count the Sprint HTC 7 Pro which doesn't even count since it's the one and only WP7 device on CDMA. It's not like the update hurts future Sprint sales at all so that logic doesn't seem to fit.

I also think that MS saw which OEMs or carriers where dragging their feet and decided to do a release anyways. As far as MS goes they said 2nd half of march and that's when it went out. Those who don't get it soon will turn to their carrier for answers and not MS when you think about it. It's clear it's not due to MS that the update hasn't made it to your phone yet, it's your carrier in most cases.

This is just as well an indirect way of MS probably putting pressure on the carriers as well.

I don't understand why O2 UK have stated on Twitter that NoDo will be available from early April, the only things the have to test with it are a boot logo and a theme!!!!! :blink: :angry:

Personally Microsoft should have an update procedure like Apple have, carriers have no control over updates.

• Like 1

Just unbranded my AT&T Samsung Focus and got the February update (7008) immediately, no sign of NoDo yet though. Can't blame this on AT&T.

Can you give a tutorials on how to do so ? I am also not using AT&T so there's no point for me to wait for AT&T. Thanks.

Are you deliberately avoiding the pre-Nodo update because it should have been offered to you a few weeks ago.

Don't be so ridiculous. Only a few days ago you were posting about how happy you are with your Focus and now you're crying because you may have to wait a while for a tiny update. You're no worse off than you were yesterday so stop being so irrational and impatient.

Sorry for my strong wording, I am happy with my Focus, only frustrated with MS and AT&T. I don't really care who is pushing updates and who is not, just want the update so that I can get the best possible experience.

A short guide to unbranding Samsung Focus:

1) Install Windows Phone Dev tools: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=04704acf-a63a-4f97-952c-8b51b34b00ce

2) Then you need to unlock the phone using the Chevron hack (e.g. http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/the_complete_guide_to_jailbreaking_windows_phone_7-01-30-11)

3) After that use the app deployment tool that is part of the dev tools to sideload Samsung registry editor: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=910911

4) Run the reg editor and enter HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\MobileOperator to the path to value field, click read button and you should see "ATT-US"

5) Clear out everything from the "Value" field and click the write button (path should still be HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\MobileOperator).. reboot the phone and you should get the first update immediately

To reverse unbranding just rewrite ATT-US to HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\MobileOperator

In other news,

Microsoft posted some more information about the update progress. Where's my Update?

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/03/23/copy-and-paste-update-status.aspx

A short guide to unbranding Samsung Focus:

1) Install Windows Phone Dev tools: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=04704acf-a63a-4f97-952c-8b51b34b00ce

2) Then you need to unlock the phone using the Chevron hack (e.g. http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/the_complete_guide_to_jailbreaking_windows_phone_7-01-30-11)

3) After that use the app deployment tool that is part of the dev tools to sideload Samsung registry editor: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=910911

4) Run the reg editor and enter HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\MobileOperator to the path to value field, click read button and you should see "ATT-US"

5) Clear out everything from the "Value" field and click the write button (path should still be HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\MobileOperator).. reboot the phone and you should get the first update immediately

To reverse unbranding just rewrite ATT-US to HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\MobileOperator

In other news,

Microsoft posted some more information about the update progress. Where's my Update?

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/03/23/copy-and-paste-update-status.aspx

Thanks for this, I am able to get the February update after doing this. Hopefully the NoDo update will come soon.

According to a tweet from 3 UK, they have already started the NoDo roll-out on their network. The update schedule published by Microsoft last night has the carrier listed as in scheduling, meaning carrier testing has been completed, and the update should start pushing out in at most 10 days.

I just hope this forces other UK network providers to do the same, as ive sent tweets to T-Mobile UK and they are not replying to me

According to O2 the NoDo update should start rolling out to their branded handsets in the UK, Ireland and Germany on 5th April.

Anyone with unbranded LG phones in Europe or get NoDo yet? I haven't, even the unbranded rollout seems to be hella slow to.

According to a tweet from 3 UK, they have already started the NoDo roll-out on their network. The update schedule published by Microsoft last night has the carrier listed as in scheduling, meaning carrier testing has been completed, and the update should start pushing out in at most 10 days.

If anyone with a branded Omnia7 on 3UK has updated to NoDo, please could you post the firmware (not OS) versions before and after?