Xbox 360 System Update Preview

I am happy to announce that we?re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards.

Much like we did last year, you?ll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag. Once you complete the survey that is presented to you, the Connect site will provide program related updates and you will receive a mail once the selection process is completed.

A couple of points before you head off to register:

• We?re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.
  • This opportunity is open to Xbox LIVE Members in US region only*.
  • To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information you provide.
  • While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

*Due to disc distribution limitations, this beta it will be limited to residents of the United States only.

I?ll be sure to update this post if the program fills up.

March 29th 2011 at 11:26 am

Major Nelson

new disc format?? BD support?

oh how long until someone says "USA ONLY HOW UNFAIR!"

I guess you have not seen comments on his blog :laugh:

I am guessing Microsoft saw them coming and he adds this at the bottom of the post,

*Due to disc distribution limitations, this beta it will be limited to residents of the United States only.

More like new features will be for US members of Xbox Live only so why bother with other regions. Major Nelson won't admit it but it wouldn't surprise me if any new services added to Xbox Live will only be available for the US. Would love to be proved wrong though.

I'm more interested about this "disk based" update then anything. Is it really more important then the last ui change.

Maybe a new security measure or somehow, more space. Halo Reach is the test game.

If you ask me it sounds like security to possibly without a doubt differentiate from a copied disc and a legitimate disc, regardless of all the "stealth" nonsense.

If so it could mean on the spot banning, or at least much quicker banning.

If you ask me it sounds like security to possibly without a doubt differentiate from a copied disc and a legitimate disc, regardless of all the "stealth" nonsense.

If so it could mean on the spot banning, or at least much quicker banning.

I don't see the point of it if they're shipping out disc to legitimate customers, they could do those test internally without anyone knowing what they're working at. I men any one of those tester who's knowledgeable can rip that DVD apart and see what update came in it.

I don't see the point of it if they're shipping out disc to legitimate customers, they could do those test internally without anyone knowing what they're working at. I men any one of those tester who's knowledgeable can rip that DVD apart and see what update came in it.

That is true, but what's not to say some of the people who sign up for this aren't naughty and have custom drive firmware? Maybe MS want to experiment :p

I have doubts now, you do make a good point, but a varied picking from your real consumer base can't be beaten when something needs testing. Look at how epic fail some games Q&A testers seem to be, games have to ship before bugs are found :rofl:

I just can't see this being anything more elaborate, it's not related to Blu Ray lol.

How would a software update include BD support? :rolleyes:

Who know maybe they're working on next next next next next generation software than can turn into hardware. :rofl: /S

I'll actually do it...

USA ONLY HOW UNFAIR!

Glassed Silver:mac

I could be pulling crap out of my arse so don't jump on me, but if I was to have a shot in the dark, a new disc format could mean more compression on a DVD disk or something on those lines?

Who know maybe they're working on next next next next next generation software than can turn into hardware. :rofl: /S

I forgot to mention

Like in the movie tron the legacy, how the hell did Quorra has body in the real world righ.

How would a software update include BD support? :rolleyes:

Ahh I jumped the gun (not the first time) but when I was signing up, one of the questions made me thing that they might ship more than just a disc to testers.

In my defense :p they can always do hybrid discs. As for the security update part, possible but why would they need such a wide test audience for that?

Must remember to sign up when I get home... every time one of these programs starts I can't sign up because I'm not home to get my serial number, and I forget when I get home. I should just email the serial number to myself, haha.

I forgot to mention

Like in the movie tron the legacy, how the hell did Quorra has body in the real world righ.

pay attention to the movie, the dematerialiser/materialiser beam digitized him, and made him digital, the same way it rematerialized him and her.

As for the disc thing, I guess we won't find out untill someone gets in and starts leaking

Signed up thanks for posting!

Also, weird thing: button wouldn't work in safari on OS X. I didn't think to try other browsers on OS X I just loaded up VMWare + Win7 to get it done without issue ha

pay attention to the movie, the dematerialiser/materialiser beam digitized him, and made him digital, the same way it rematerialized him and her.

As for the disc thing, I guess we won't find out untill someone gets in and starts leaking

Off topic, I understand how Sam got rematerialized but how the hell the machine did got the raw material for quorra.

Off topic, I understand how Sam got rematerialized but how the hell the machine did got the raw material for quorra.

she was a digital being, just like him, their people where created in the digital world, a perfected human without disease, in digital form. The code would also have given a body to CLU, despite him being just a very sophisticated program.

in a materializer you're just data, so with that data, you can make clones of yourself, or make other beings, if you have the code to make a whole human, which they did.