Meet the browser: Firefox Next

grayscale

It fills up the whole url bar instead of being a box within the url box.

bogas04

Firefox 5 Alpha 2 and Firefox 6 Alpha 1 are now out. Hope someone can run benchmarks on them.

i guess only Bug 502892 is fixed in new aurora

Oz.

New identity button style landed in the nightly.

post-2190-0-34142000-1303278879.png

post-2190-0-67919300-1303278556.png

post-2190-0-03113700-1303278550.png

I have the latest nightly and I can't see it :huh:

Anyone know from where I can get the build with the smooth moving tabs?

alisalem

New identity button style landed in the nightly.

post-2190-0-34142000-1303278879.png

post-2190-0-67919300-1303278556.png

post-2190-0-03113700-1303278550.png

Aero borders seem to be smaller as well.

macel

Aero borders seem to be smaller as well.

Firefox still adds an extra pixel to the border, I just reduce the aero's border padding across the board.

dnast

Looks like it's no longer available. As far as I can tell, the patch is just waiting for review so it shouldn't be too long before it's in the nightlies.

+Heartripper

i can upload it if you want!

kilara1988

I played a little with the new settings in the about:config that are introduced by this fix and the font looks much better now.The default values were not good for me.And they say this is only one of the issues causing the bad fonts so there may be more font fixes soon.

+Zlip792

I played a little with the new settings in the about:config that are introduced by this fix and the font looks much better now.The default values were not good for me.And they say this is only one of the issues causing the bad fonts so there may be more font fixes soon.

Please share you settings with us, so we can also try..

+Frank B.

Please share you settings with us, so we can also try..

Bug 642589 landed in today's nightly, so for everyone having trouble with font rendering, please have a look at the gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.* settings in about:config. The params follow the ranges given here: ClearType Registry Settings. In addition, the available rendering modes are explained here: DWRITE_RENDERING_MODE Enumeration. The numbers gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode takes correspond with these modes as follows: "0 = default, 1 = aliased, 2 = GDI Classic, 3 = GDI Natural,

4 = Natural, 5 = Natural Symmetric]

Source: mozillazine forum

kilara1988

LOL.I didn't play with the gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode,just with the contrast,gamma and cleartype lvl ones.But when i set those to default and gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode to "2" for GDI Classic it is now perfect!!!Like with the AA addon,but without the bad spacing.They finally fixed it!!!

The_Decryptor

GDI Classic adds bad spacing on purpose, some people might prefer it but it's not better from a technical standpoint.

kilara1988

With the AA addon it was far worse.Some of the letters overlapped and some were too far away within one word.And i prefer the GDI Natural rendering.Didn't try it yet in the previous post.

+Heartripper

oh noes, please don't remove button borders!

• Like 1
kilara1988

Why not?It looks better without borders.What do you need borders for anyway?

• Like 4
Jan

Why not?It looks better without borders.What do you need borders for anyway?

That's purely an opinion and I personally like the borders imo.

ViperAFK

Thank god looks SO much better now.

Set it to 2 if you want the old style cleartype rendering.

trag3dy

Using the latest nightly from today, anyone else notice that Stylish doesn't open in it's own manage window now or is it just me? It forces it open in a tab so I can't search through my styles.

I can right click on the extension and get it that way.. but then it won't let me switch back to firefox without closing that window. :wacko:

grayscale

Stylish 1.1.2

-Updated the toolbar button to act more like other toolbar buttons

-New default in Firefox 4 is to use the Add-ons Manager when choosing Manage Styles. The setting extensions.stylish.manageView is still available - 0 for add-ons manager, 1 for stand-alone dialog, 2 for sidebar

-Added links for creating a new style and going to userstyles.org in add-ons manager

-Removed Page Style overlay

-Fixes for latest Firefox, Seamonkey, and Thunderbird

-Updated Czech and Japanese localizations

-Added partial Romanian localization

Edit:

Also, you can edit your styles through the addons manager, BUT NOT on the EXTENSIONS tab, but on the USER STYLES tab.

trag3dy

Thanks, it's odd though because Firefox 4 has the normal behavior I'm used to, while the nightly doesn't. Not a big deal though.

+Heartripper

Thanks, it's odd though because Firefox 4 has the normal behavior I'm used to, while the nightly doesn't. Not a big deal though.

in about config, set:

extensions.stylish.manageView

to 1 to make it open in a dialog!

ViperAFK

Glad they are adding the option, because with fonts everyone has different preferences.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Patch My PC Updater 4.2.0.3
      by Razvan Serea

Patch My PC Free is a portable and reliable tool which can quickly check your PC for outdated software. The supported third-party programs include a large number of widely-used applications, including Adobe Reader, Mozilla Firefox, Java, 7-Zip, BleachBit, Google Chrome and many more.

Patch My PC Home updater features:

Updates over 300 common apps check including portable apps Ability to cache updates for use on multiple machines No bloatware during installations Applications install/update silently by default no install wizard needed Optionally, disable silent install to perform a manual custom install Easy to use user interface Installs 64-bit apps by default on 64-bit windows Optionally choose to install 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows Change updated and outdated apps color for color blindness Option to automatically kill programs before updating it Portable and only about 3.0 MB Create a baseline of applications if installing on new PC’s Quickly uninstall multiple programs Scan time is usually less than 1 second Set updates to happen on a schedule Skip updates for any application you don’t want to update Suppresses restarts when performing application updates Patch My PC Updater 4.2.0.3 changelog:

Updated Vivaldi‘s silent install switch Added switch “/norestart” to VNC Server The form can now be resized by any edge instead of only by the grip size at the bottom-right. Download: Patch My PC Updater 4.2.0.3 | 3.0 MB (Freeware)
      View: Patch My PC Free Homepage

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Firefox 89 to receive longer beta cycle to prep for Proton
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla will be lengthening the beta cycle for Firefox 89 according to the FX Trains website, it will see the release pushed back to June 1 as opposed to May 18 when it was supposed to be released. The alteration to the schedule was noticed by German Firefox blogger Sören Hentzschel who said that the delay has been put in place so Mozilla can have more time to test its new Proton user interface.

With Firefox 89 undergoing a six-week beta cycle, Firefox 90 will also see its nightly cycle length extended to six weeks over the same period before everything returns back to the usual four-week cycle. Firefox 88 will be the final version of Firefox to ship according to the old release calendar on April 20 and subsequent releases will be delayed by two weeks from their original launch dates.

At the time of writing, Firefox 89 is on the Nightly branch. While it’s still being worked on, users can download Firefox Nightly right now to test out the new Proton UI. The most noticeable change with the new interface are the tabs which float in the tab bar rather than appearing to be fixed to the URL bar.

It’ll be interesting to see how Mozilla uses the extra two weeks of beta testing. Users on Reddit have begun complaining about the Proton tab experience as they're upset that it uses up too much space and that there are no visual separators between tabs.

• By zikalify
      Linux Mint outlines better, unobtrusive update notifications
      by Paul Hill

Clem Lefebvre, head of the Linux Mint project, has written a blog post outlining new notifications that try not to be annoying but also remind users that they need to perform software updates to keep their computer secure. The details arrive a little over a month since Lefebvre pointed to stats that show some users were not applying security updates and in some cases, people were even running end of life versions of Linux Mint.

The Linux Mint team prides itself on its users controlling their computer rather than the other way around. New Mint versions only ever introduce conservative changes so that the whole operating system doesn’t need to be relearned and users are also given complete control over when, how, and which updates are installed; unfortunately, this mindset has led to some users running outdated, vulnerable software.

To remedy the issue, a new pop-up has been created which lets the user know how many updates are available, it says why updates need to be applied, it lets users view available updates, and gives users the option to turn on automatic updates. If the user dismisses the notification it will come back two days later so it’s not overbearing.

If the user decides to install updates, the notification will disappear for quite a while on the default settings. By default, the notification will appear if an update has been available for more than seven logged-in days or if it’s older than 15 calendar days. The number of days can be changed to anything between two and 90 days depending on how often you want to see updates. Additionally, these notifications will only be triggered by security and kernel updates but this can be adjusted in the settings.

There is also a grace period setting which is set to 30 days by default, essentially, this means that if an update has been applied in the last 30 days, you will not be bugged by notifications until that time has elapsed.

The Mint team hopes that the default settings will work for most people in that they keep their system moderately up-to-date without being overburdened with constant reminders to update their machine. The new notifications are set to arrive in Linux Mint 20.2 but Lefebvre has also said that it could be backported to older versions.

• By zikalify
      Firefox 87 reduces ETP site breakage with SmartBlock
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced the release of Firefox 87 which introduces several features including SmartBlock which aims to reduce website breakage while using private browsing mode with Strict Enhanced Tracking Protection (ETP). SmartBlock provides local scripts to fill the place of those blocked by third-parties, helping websites to function properly.

Explaining the new SmartBlock feature a bit more, Mozilla said:

Another change in this release of Firefox is to the HTTP Referrer policy which now trims path and query string information by default. According to Mozilla, this will prevent sites from accidentally leaking sensitive user data. The new Referrer Policy is applied to all navigational requests, redirected requests, and subresource (image, style, and script) requests, according to a Mozilla blog post.

Other small changes that have been made in this update include the addition of the Silesian locale, full support for macOS' built-in screen reader VoiceOver, and the Highlight All feature of Find in Page now showing tick marks alongside the scrollbar to display the location of matches found on the page.

To utilise the new update, open the menu button in Firefox, go to Help, and press "About Firefox". A dialog box will pop up and it’ll inform you that a new version of Firefox is downloading. If you run Linux, you’ll probably have to wait for the package to become available through your repositories.

• By Copernic
      Firefox 87.0
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

What's new in Firefox 87.0:

You’ll encounter less website breakage in Private Browsing and Strict Enhanced Tracking Protection with SmartBlock, which provides stand-in scripts so that websites load properly. To further protect your privacy, our new default HTTP Referrer policy will trim path and query string information from referrer headers to prevent sites from accidentally leaking sensitive user data. The “Highlight All” feature on Find in Page now displays tick marks alongside your scrollbar that correspond to the location of matches found on that page. We’re proud to announce full support for macOS built-in screen reader, VoiceOver. We’ve added a new locale: Silesian (szl) We’ve fixed several significant accessibility issues:

Video controls now have visible focus styling and video and audio controls are now keyboard navigable. (Bug 1681007) HTML < meter > is now spoken by screen readers. (Bug 1460378) Firefox now sets a useful initial focus in Add-ons Manager. (Bug 580537) Firefox will now fire a name/description change event when aria-labelledby/describedby content changes. (Bug 493683) Various security fixes. Changed:

To prevent user data loss when filling out forms, we’ve disabled the Backspace key as a navigation shortcut for the back navigation button. To re-enable the Backspace keyboard shortcut, you can change the about:config preference browser.backspace_action to 0. You can also use the recommended Alt + Left arrow (Command + Left arrow on Mac) shortcut instead. Firefox keyboard shortcuts We've removed items from the Library menu that weren't used often or have other access points in the browser: Synced tabs, Recent highlights, and Pocket list. We've simplified the Help menu by reducing redundant items, such as those that point to Firefox support pages that can also be accessed via the Get Help item. Enterprise:

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can see more details in the Firefox for Enterprise 87 Release Notes. Developer infromation:

We've greatly simplified the Web Developer menu. Go to Application Menu > Web Developer > Web Developer Tools to access Inspector, Web Console, Debugger, Network Style Error, Performance, Storage Inspector, Accessibility, and Application Developers can now use the Page Inspector to simulate prefers-color-scheme media queries, without having to change the operating system to light or dark mode. Developers can now use the Page Inspector to toggle the :target pseudo-class for the currently selected element in addition to the pseudo-classes that were previously supported: :hover, :active and :focus, :focus-within, :focus-visible, and :visited. There is a number of Page Inspector improvements and bug fixes related to inactive CSS rules:

The table-layout property is now marked as inactive for non-table elements. The scroll-padding properties (shorthand and longhand) are now marked as inactive for non-scrollable elements. The text-overflow property was previously incorrectly marked as inactive for some overflow values. Download: Firefox 87.0for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 87.0 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 87.0 for MacOS | 125.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware