Meet the browser: Firefox Next

The latest Nightly UX 24 removed the add-on bar. I was getting used to using Australis, so I rolled with them on that change, but removing the add-on bar serves what purpose exactly? I had used the great extension, Status-4-Evar, to do multiple cool things with the add-on bar. Number one, I could use a stylish code to change the color and use larger fonts for the status messages. Number two, I had it setup where I could see my downloads, how much time is remaining, etc. Removing it not only took away all those great features, but it also screwed up how my tabs are displayed for some reason. They are like cut off on my screen now. Great job, Mozilla!! Stop changing things for the sake of changing them. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! I really hope they add it back after everyone complains. Anyone with me?

Removing add-on/status bar? Are they mad? I really like Firefox but I like it less and less with every new version... Where is the old, great Firefox?

They removed the status bar ages ago, the addon bar most likely isn't going away either (and if it does, it'll be because the functionality is duplicated by something else)

Thanks god there still is Status-4-Evar. I have 55 enabled extensions, where do you think I should move 16 icons from add-on bar? To location bar? Don't want to. Icons are simply smaller in add-on bar and stay out of way.

Anyone using Ubiquity [1] with Firefox 23 beta? It stopped working for me, Ctrl+Space open it window but no commands work (I see only help message, and writing anything don't take any effect).

[1] https://bitbucket.org/satyr/ubiquity

I wonder how many sites actually make use of the status text, both Firefox and IE block sites from setting it, and Chrome is probably the same in that regard.

I use Status-4-Evar, and it doesn't work with the latest nightly UX 25 anymore. They have removed the add-on bar completely, which is really stupid! Hopefully a newer version of Status-4-Evar will come out, and then is it possible it could work again? I don't know if that's possible or not for it to add its own toolbar basically. I hope it is. I'm back to using Beta 23 for now. At least the add-on bar is there, but I can't get Status-4-Evar to work there either for some reason. Don't they realize a lot of people use extensions like NoSquint? It needs its own toolbar for the little magnifying glass and the percentages of each zoomed site. Where is that stuff supposed to go? If people are that annoyed with the add-on bar, they can always turn it off. Give it back to us, Mozilla! At the very least they should add a top toolbar, which is separate from the navigation toolbar. That's the way I would prefer it, anyways. Menu Bar, which can be hidden if need be, Tabs On Top, URL/Search Bar, Status/Add-On underneath, which can be hidden with one click, then Bookmarks Toolbar on the bottom, with a toolbar button to hide it with one click. Why can't they just do that? It would be easy and practical to show all the info at the top, anyways. That way when you type in a URL, directly below it you would see the important info, like connecting to site, or current download time remaining, etc. It makes so much sense to do it that way. I wish someone from Mozilla would see this and listen to my suggestions.

Australis adds a drop down menu on the right where addons are supposed to add their items, it's functionally identical to the addons bar, so don't expect it to come back.

But yes, addons can add their own toolbars.

last time i ever make a Bug on Mozilla Bugzilla, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=888775 follow that Bug why. . i thought i was pretty clear where the Bug is etc. i might not be brilliant at doing Bugzilla's but getting that crap from a Dev is below the belt IMO so they can go to hell as far as i care

Seems like maybe you're the one that's over reacting.

yeah i am when that Bug has been in the UX build for a few days..

That's no reason to get so upset over it, especially since the guy was quite nice with that response.

Demz, i'm guessing you're talking about Florian Bender's comment? if so then you're definitely over reacting. all he did was ask if you could correct your terminology since it's changed recently

Demz, i'm guessing you're talking about Florian Bender's comment? if so then you're definitely over reacting. all he did was ask if you could correct your terminology since it's changed recently

yes thats right.. they dont exactly make that clear on the " persona " website what there called anymore so how was i to know what the New name was?  plus if Florian had of used his Brains more he would of known thats what i meant without asking for a confirmation in the first place..

did i just say Brains? since when did a Mozilla Dev have any of those? :P

Persona is an entirely different thing now, but still being integrated into the browser in such a way that it could cause the UI to break. So no, it's not too surprising that he asked you to clarify.

Yay, they are finally enabling gstreamer support in fx 23, meaning linux firefox users will be able to play h.264 htlml5 video (provided they have the appropriate gstreamer plugin installed)

Anyone know how to get Flash Player to stop crashing so much? Using the latest Flash Player 11.7.700.224, with Firefox 23 Beta 1, and it crashes way too much! Simple stuff like visiting sports sites such as Profootballtalk make it crash. What is up with Flash and Firefox? I know I'm not the only one who has had issues. I thought they fixed stuff awhile back, but obviously not. I might just go back to 10. whatever at this point. I never had issues before.

Anyone know how to get Flash Player to stop crashing so much? Using the latest Flash Player 11.7.700.224, with Firefox 23 Beta 1, and it crashes way too much! Simple stuff like visiting sports sites such as Profootballtalk make it crash. What is up with Flash and Firefox? I know I'm not the only one who has had issues. I thought they fixed stuff awhile back, but obviously not. I might just go back to 10. whatever at this point. I never had issues before.

Try and see if there's an update for Flash. I get crashes every few months regardless of the browser, sometimes a particular browser version doesn't play well with the current Flash version, or in most cases, it's just a very ###### version of Flash that's out.

Yay, they are finally enabling gstreamer support in fx 23, meaning linux firefox users will be able to play h.264 htlml5 video (provided they have the appropriate gstreamer plugin installed)

That's going to trickle down to OS X users as well, gstreamer can hook directly into the underlying H.264 decoding support there.

Try disabling flash's protected mode, I've noticed its really glitchy on some computers for some reason and causes these crashes: http://techdows.com/2012/06/disable-flash-players-protected-mode-for-firefox.html

I noticed this happens frequently with flash/firefox on some of the older computers at my workplace, but on my home machine it never ever crashes on me.

An update to the Australis schedule: The Mozilla developers still aim to land it on the Nightly channel for Firefox 25 - only to back it out after Firefox 25 moves to Aurora. After that the idea is to re-land it on the Nightly channel for Firefox 26 and 'ride the 26 train thru release'. 

Source: Firefox-dev mailing list via mozillaZine

Thanks for replying about my Flash issues. I have heard about how protected mode causes crashes, but it never happened that much til recently. I will check that out. New Flash updates have been very unstable. It happens on Chrome as well. Thanks for the updated info on Australis. I personally don't mind it that much, but I will have a problem if a new update for Status-4-Evar doesn't come out for use with Firefox 24 and later. I want my addon bar back!

An update to the Australis schedule: The Mozilla developers still aim to land it on the Nightly channel for Firefox 25 - only to back it out after Firefox 25 moves to Aurora. After that the idea is to re-land it on the Nightly channel for Firefox 26 and 'ride the 26 train thru release'. 

Source: Firefox-dev mailing list via mozillaZine

im starting to think this whole Australis Project is a complete Mess, one wonders if they'll ever release it into the wild. 

i wouldnt be surprised if they pull that idea of landing it into Nightly 25 etc. its to much of a mess