Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Nightly has been marked version 40 now and Firefox 37 Stable is out now.

Firefox 38 is aimed for 64-bit release on Windows.

Nightly has been marked version 40 now and Firefox 37 Stable is out now.

37 an 38 is/was a 5 week release cycle also, wonder if Google will do the same

I don't think so, there's still a few issues (With the JS engine and EME) which they don't want to launch with, and their current plans only talk about 64bit releases of the developer edition (And not planning for a general release until 41/42)

IMO Mozilla need an official 64bit version. if they dont release one, they'll lose out to Google

an as far as EME goes, will it ever be suported?

Might as well as Kill off Firefox/Gecko now  :p

32/64 doesn't matter for 99% of people, and EME is supported in 38, that's one of the reasons 38 won't have an official 64bit release (Since Adobe don't support 64bit for it currently)

AFAIK, Mozilla dont care for Adobe ever since Moz came out with shumway. but even in 64bit Linux/Firefox installs there really is no native 64bit only flash, its still half an half im pretty sure.

32/64 doesn't matter for 99% of people, and EME is supported in 38, that's one of the reasons 38 won't have an official 64bit release (Since Adobe don't support 64bit for it currently)

as someone using firefox 38 beta 1 x64 i can say there is a significant different between 64bit and 32bit firefox. I have 6gb ram and i'm running win 8.1 x64. Firefox is able to use about 3-3.3gb ram before it freezes up, firefox 64bit can manage 4gb ram before that happens. Firefox 38 x64 is quite a bit faster at switching between tabs and scrolling long pages. It has significantly improved firefox for me. Hardly anyone even knows what EME is so that is much less important.

It sounds like you have an issue on your system if even 64bit Firefox can only use 4GB of RAM, it should be able to use something like 16 TB of RAM on a 64bit system. Perfomance wise the 64bit build of Firefox is probably the same as the 32bit build, or slightly slower on average. The 64bit version of Chrome was (on average) slower than the 32bit one, performance in desktop apps like these isn't improved with moving to 64bit, quite often it's hurt (Because the code takes up more size, pointers are longer, more data gets moved around, etc. Unless the workload is specifically helped by a 64bit execution environment, it'll most likely be hurt).

And more people would know (Or want to know) about EME than what the differences are between 32/64, anybody watching Netflix needs EME for example.

AFAIK, Mozilla dont care for Adobe ever since Moz came out with shumway. but even in 64bit Linux/Firefox installs there really is no native 64bit only flash, its still half an half im pretty sure.

Who do you think is providing the DRM module for Firefox?

It sounds like you have an issue on your system if even 64bit Firefox can only use 4GB of RAM, it should be able to use something like 16 TB of RAM on a 64bit system. Perfomance wise the 64bit build of Firefox is probably the same as the 32bit build, or slightly slower on average. The 64bit version of Chrome was (on average) slower than the 32bit one, performance in desktop apps like these isn't improved with moving to 64bit, quite often it's hurt (Because the code takes up more size, pointers are longer, more data gets moved around, etc. Unless the workload is specifically helped by a 64bit execution environment, it'll most likely be hurt).

And more people would know (Or want to know) about EME than what the differences are between 32/64, anybody watching Netflix needs EME for example.

Who do you think is providing the DRM module for Firefox?

no idea, but can you provide a source of who?

Boo Berry beat me to it.

Does EME in Nightly support Netflix yet or not? I haven't actually tried it.

Doubt it actually :laugh:, it's up to Netflix to support (Did I mention that the CDMs are a horrible, unspecified, proprietary mess, and we can thank Microsoft/Google for that), and for Firefox to not be buggy.

Anyone experience the following,

1. FF sometimes stops rendering - resizing browser window fixes the issue

2. FF sometimes renders images black / half black - disabling half-assed HWA fixed the issue.

Anyone get this issue with the menu?

I click the menu button, it renders it, but then it quickly disappears. When I click again, I don't get the full menu, just this:

firefoxmenubug.png

Anyone get this issue with the menu?

I click the menu button, it renders it, but then it quickly disappears. When I click again, I don't get the full menu, just this:

firefoxmenubug.png

Yeah, I got that too, but it randomly stopped.