Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Why is it pointless?

I don't get it, gorhill was tired and gave main development to someone else.

it was a little more dramatic than that, but yeah its not pointless to use the addon because it is still alive.

Basically what happened was, out of the blue gorhill decided he wanted to transfer ownership of ublock. Shortly afterwards, the other most active developer Dethamns (he did most of the work porting ublock to firefox, looks like he predicted the impending drama and decided to peace out lol) quit the project, leaving chris (maintainer of the safari version) the only person to transfer it to. Chris accepted, and gorhill transferred ownership over to him. Gorhill then forked the project on github with issues disabled. Shortly afterwards gorhill was upset that chris was still using the name 'ublock', and asked him to change it (which doesn't make much sense, since gorhill had transferred the ownership of the main repo over to chris), in the end gorhill ended up renaming his "uBlock?".

Gorhill's actions didn't make a whole lot of sense, if he was just sick of dealing with help vampires in the issues section there could have been much more graceful ways of going about it, such as assigning someone else to handle the issues page etc... The out of the blue transfer of ownership and resulting two different ublock versions caused unnecessary drama and confusion.

ublock doesn't seem to be in any immediate danger though, gorhill is still maintaining his chrome version, and there is still one firefox developer contributing to chris's version (and right now both versions are basically identical)

Why is it pointless?

I don't get it, gorhill was tired and gave main development to someone else.

Blocking effectiveness has everything to do with the filters. Not the extension.

read the posts i gave in the mozillazine link

AFAIK, ublock is using ABP Filter System. not its own

Blocking effectiveness has everything to do with the filters. Not the extension.

read the posts i gave in the mozillazine link

AFAIK, ublock is using ABP Filter System. not its own

You need to read up more on ublock ;)

The reason ublock has become popular is not because of blocking effectiveness/filters (its been well known from the beginning that it uses APB filters/syntax), its because its performance and resource usage is significantly better than APB.

look at the benchmarks on the github page:

https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock

Adblock plus's element hiding works in an extremely inefficient way, it injects massive css stylesheets into every webpage, and for webpage with multiple iframes into every iframe, this results in very significant memory and cpu overhead, and these performance issues were the main reason for ublock's creation.

https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/05/14/adblock-pluss-effect-on-firefoxs-memory-usage/

• Like 2

Speaking of uBlock, I fixed this issue:

Anyone get this issue with the menu?

I click the menu button, it renders it, but then it quickly disappears. When I click again, I don't get the full menu, just this:

firefoxmenubug.png

I just removed uBlock from the menu.

Speaking of uBlock, I fixed this issue:

I just removed uBlock from the menu.

I am using chris' fork and it works for me. Maybe it was a bug that was gorhill didn't want to fix.

60FPS youtube stopped working on beta 38 for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Google disabled MSE playback on their end, because users were reporting issues with corrupt video in Firefox (Turns out, a lot of graphics cards have god awful drivers, and often refuse to decode video properly)

Nope, it's purely on YouTube's end.

Even if you disable flash it'll use non MSE playback, meaning automatic quality doesn't work, and you'll only have 360/720 to choose from.

Should have tested before asking. Didn't do anything and 60fps videos working fine in latest Firefox 38 beta

http://i.imgur.com/NigDHas.png

Was there a new beta released? Mozilla and Google are co-operating on it so Google will flip it back on whenever Mozilla need it tested.

The main reason it was disabled in the first place was certain old Intel (And some AMD/Nvidia) drivers that broke video decoding, Mozilla recently blocked them so a new beta should have that block in place.

Took long enough, but Firefox is finally getting a HiDPI art pass on Windows.

FirefoxHiDPIUI2.png

There's still a bit to do, the dropdown menu still uses low resolution icons, same with the social button and the site security indicator, but it's still a nice improvement.

That's really odd, it's just doesn't work for me.

It should be "Beta" channel for you in below dialog to update smoothly from one Beta to another. If it isn't then you need to download Beta again from here - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/#beta

IW3wcvq.png

Very good idea, and glad to see Google doing it as well.

With HTTP 2, AES-GCM and ECDHE key exchange there's really no reason (Outside of legacy cruft) to not be using TLS, it's more likely to be faster now than not using it.