[7 x64] What Brings You To x64 Land?

i first went 64-bit because:

1. i had 4GB of ram and planned on expanding

2. i felt like my cpu/motherboard's 64-bit capabilities were going to waste if i went 32-bit

Heh that right there would want me using 8GB+, even if not building against x64. Between VS2010, a large project, CodeRush, Refactor Pro, TFS, and a few minor addons.. that thing eats memory like there's no tomorrow. Love the IDE, but slim it ain't. VS2010 under 4GB can be painful.

I have VS 2010 Ultimate (just applied SP1, in fact) and it *can* be a real RAM pig (project-dependent) - however, that's pretty much par for the course with any IDE (even those in Linux) (I've used some form of VS since VS 97 and my getting back into database development).

Right now, I'm doing mostly exploration of the current state of development (small-scale) for fun, not profits/revenue, and if you're going to do Windows-based development at all, VS 2010 won't be a wrong choice.

That is indeed why stability is important to *me* - one thing I do a lot of is virtualization; mostly testing out issues that can plague legacy operating systems and hardware (there's still a lot of XP and Vista out there on legacy hardware, especially home users). While no-cost/low-cost virtualization is not x64-specific (VirtualBox and Windows VirtualPC don't require x64, and both are free), x64 does provide both a more stable platform and better leverage (hardware virtualization support in either application requires an x64 OS host, as do x64 guests).

So I actually *agree*; if you're a developer, x64 makes way too much sense.

Hello,

Well, aside from wanting to have the newest and latest technologies (an important reason, in and of itself), I wanted to take advantage of some of the additional security features provided by the 64-bit edition of Microsoft Windows Vista. Before that, the only 64-bit operating systems I had used were for servers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Because I can, really.

I didnt use any 64 bit os before windows 7.

This and I currently have 4Gb of memory which I wanted to use fully AND I was thinking of expanding for the hell of it

i wanted to more about 64bit, so i moved to it, wanted to understand the pros and cons. learnt quickly about 64bit drivers!

Used WinXP x64 Win7x64 was the next logical step, I skipped vista. Due to memory and performance, was the reason I jumped on the x64 platform.

Agree with a couple of posts above, love win2k8r2

I dual-boot Win Vista and Win 7, both Ultimate and both x64, on my laptop - runs faster than my desktop. Also, I multi-task and I haven't had a single issue with apps freezing. I used Visual Studio 2010, Office 2010, VirtualBox (runs Linux - solely for connecting to my uni's network because Cisco trusts Linux), hell I even run IE 9 x64 as well!

Also, my server is x64 as well - runs Win XP x64 (on a small partition), Win Server 2003 R2 and 2008 R2, both Enterprise editions and, no surprise, both x64.

All of that is because 2 of my machines have 4 GB RAM, and that it runs apps faster.

all machines i load now i put x64 on but i switch with windows 7 as mainly i have 8gig of ram and new systems i build all have a minimum of 4gig

Well with me i went with 64 bit because due to using 4 gigs of ram and using virtualbox for other operating systems most def its good to have around 6-8 gigs or more..

• 3 weeks later...

Well with me i went with 64 bit because due to using 4 gigs of ram and using virtualbox for other operating systems most def its good to have around 6-8 gigs or more..

Update now at 6 gigs of ram running pretty smooth

I bought Windows 7 which was 64-bit. My PC (of 4 years old now) could handle 64-bit so why not?

If I am honest I haven't noticed any difference in stability from Windows XP to Windows 7, from 32-bit to 64-bit. I still have the same kind of errors (no longer illegal operations though!), I guess the system just can't handle me opening a fair few programs at once. Internet (whether IE or Firefox) seems to be the worse culprit.

At Vista RTM because I could never find anywhere to buy XP x64.

• +4GB
  • RAM
  • It's the future
  • The hardware supports it
  • I like browsing in 64-bit browsers as it is a little more secure (currently) and I can browse without plugins (no flash adverts) and selectively jump to a 32-bit browser when needed

I could get the x64 version for no additional cost, so I just decided to try it out.

I'm dual booting it with a x86 Ubuntu though (mainly for school work).

To be honest there can only be so many reasons for people switching to 64-bit. As it happens, i haven't migrated yet despite having 64-bit hardware.

Because I have 6GB of RAM, and when it comes to software I always want to have the latest and greatest.

It does annoy me sometimes when I look at the task manager, and see nearly all the processes running have *32 tagged on the end.

Cut t my friends mac running Snow Leopard, hardly any of his processes are 32-bit. Windows App makers need to keep with the times.

Cuz I found out my Laptop could run 64bit. So I installed XP 64bit on it. It only had a gb of ram.. so when I went to Vista x64 I basically killed the laptop.

I got 4GB RAM and I want stability and stuff