• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

My INSTALLED program list is smaller than yours :p

xdot.tk    118

This is on my C drive:

Add%20or%20Remove%20Programs.png

Show me yours. :p

That's not to say I don't have programs on my computer. I have over 150 on my D drive but they are either fully portable or just require a few registry entries to run.

I share them between a dual boot of XP and Windows 7.

Frylock86    95

You run Windows 7? :o

• Like 1

SpeedyTheSnail    1,287

Mines bigger. :shifty: :shiftyninja:

spudtrooper    335

I'd say.. no

xdot.tk    118

Rarely. ;) I just hate the fanaticism displayed for it on Neowin. It's not like that at other tech sites I frequent. :angry:

Roger H.    780

Ha, that's nothing.

post-698-0-46579200-1303869984.jpg

I don't even install Flash or anything of the sort here. The only thing not shown there is Office (installing now). I haven't been using it too for a while since i've basically just been doing everything online or using the "portable" versions of whatever apps I need.

Yes - no Antivirus either - has been that way for years. I sometimes install MSE and do a scan but that's no longer needed either as Microsoft came out with that scanner recently.

• Like 1

xdot.tk    118

You mean an online scanner? Where?

I don't use AV either. I did the first year I had a Windows 95 computer. Only been bit twice in 16 years and they were minor.

One was a true virus that added save Greenpeace or some other tree hugger crap to files and the other was an IRC trojan.

spudtrooper    335

Rarely. ;) I just hate the fanaticism displayed for it on Neowin. It's not like that at other tech sites I frequent. :angry:

"neo" means new

"win" is "windows"

Of course a site called "neo win" would be fanatical about new versions of windows...

Interestingly enough, i'm more annoyed with the rampant mac fanatisicm here.. i wish there is one place i wouldn't have to hear about that crap at :)

• Like 3

Roger H.    780

You mean an online scanner? Where?

Not a online scanner but it's this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

It's kinda big too for a temp thing but it's helped systems that were already infected. Haven't needed it for any of mine however.

ShMaunder    102

Woah, i've just counted all mine: 171 programs :s

Doesn't even get out of the A's

addRemove.jpg

WolvesHunt    4

I can beat that. I could have the list down to 0 if I wanted to.

yes its called the register. Remove installed programs for the Add/Remove list (without acutally unsintall the program it self)

In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Example

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Connection Manager]

"SystemComponent"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series]

"caption"="EPSON Stylus NX200 Series Printer Uninstall"

"DisplayName"="EPSON Stylus NX200 Series Printer Uninstall"

"Publisher"="SEIKO EPSON Corporation"

"UninstallString"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\spool\\DRIVERS\\x64\\3\\E_IINSEFA.EXE /R /APD /P:\"EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\PrinterDrivers]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\PrinterDrivers\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\PrinterDrivers\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\Files]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\PrinterDrivers\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\Files\Extension]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\PrinterDrivers\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\Files\Extension\101]

"ProfilePath"="C:\\ProgramData\\EPSON\\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series"

"FileSpec"="*.BR1,*.BR2"

"Type"=dword:00000124

"Flags"=hex:01

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\PrinterDrivers\EPSON Stylus NX200 Series\Files\Extension\102]

"ProfilePath"="C:\\ProgramData\\EPSON"

"FileSpec"="DUMMY.FN"

"Type"=dword:00000124

"Flags"=hex:01

-----------------------------------

or use a 3rd party app to do it,

post-387208-0-93016300-1303871283.jpg

tsupersonic    1,921

122 Programs - 16GB

post-182178-0-94829300-1303870977.png

Samurizer    61

post-356036-0-00448700-1303871063.png

Portable Flash in portable browsers, Google Docs + portable OOo, portable Skype. Those pretty much cover all the bases, along with some others.

BetaAddict    107

Given how large HD's are these days, doesn't really make any difference with how many programs you have installed as it won't affect performance as long as the disk remains defragged. The real kicker is how many background processes you have running. Right now, it is at 64 processes on normal app usage, like firefox and chat.

Raa    1,590

Formats are wonderful things. :p

WolvesHunt    4

btw Add/Remove or Programs and Features do not show all the install programs. So to see the full list you will need a 3rd party app to scan the entire Installed Regierty keys.

The ones that I point out are programs, Packages that are installed ether by defult windows out of the box or through updates. they are classifed as Programs you can uninstall if know the command line. Or Have a 3rd Party app to do it for you.. these will not show up in the add/remove list

Also notice the top. There way more to MS office then just a few unstall Names to select from.

None of the installed enteries are dubbles.

post-387208-0-82642500-1303871770.jpg

+Xinok    295

I use portable software or extract the installer when possible. However, there are some things I still install. I have a Utilities folder with well over 300 programs in it, too many to not have runtimes installed.

post-57213-0-82157800-1303871704.png

cork1958    1,959

Given how large HD's are these days, doesn't really make any difference with how many programs you have installed as it won't affect performance as long as the disk remains defragged. The real kicker is how many background processes you have running. Right now, it is at 64 processes on normal app usage, like firefox and chat.

Exactly. Who cares how slim your installed programs list is!

I have 16 running processes on XP Pro. On my Windows 7, 32 bit machines I usually have 27-29 processes running, unless I'm on one of the two computers with print spooler running, then it's between 30-33.

Formats are wonderful things. :p

I was thinking the same thing! ;)

WolvesHunt    4

if I wanted to I could even uninstall D3DX10

post-387208-0-77397700-1303872221.jpg

nub    181

Lets see who can cripple their system the most!

PyX    140

What do you guys do with a computer with no apps installed?

Out of the box, a computer is pretty useless, unless you?re using it for browsing and viewing emails.

WolvesHunt    4

What do you guys do with a computer with no apps installed?

Out of the box, a computer is pretty useless, unless you?re using it for browsing and viewing emails.

come on. Ever one loves Solitary now! I remmeber that windows use to come with Reversie

xdot.tk    118

What do you guys do with a computer with no apps installed?Out of the box, a computer is pretty useless, unless you?re using it for browsing and viewing emails.

That's not to say I don't have programs on my computer. I have over 150 on my D drive but they are either fully portable or just require a few registry entries to run.I share them between a dual boot of XP and Windows 7.

BeerFan    288

This topic seems out of place. A conversation where us geeks brag about how lightweight our installs are does not belong in a tech support forum.

Unless the OP is asking for support with how to install programs in windows! :laugh:

WolvesHunt    4

This topic seems out of place. A conversation where us geeks brag about how lightweight our installs are does not belong in a tech support forum.

Unless the OP is asking for support with how to install programs in windows! :laugh:

Flexing Ego's in opposite directions?

So what your telling us. You *Open Computer*. Left Click and Drag d:(CDROM) to c:\? /facepalm

and you wonder why your add/remove list is empty.