My INSTALLED program list is smaller than yours :p

TWVEy.png

But as said, I'm not really sure what this would be measuring... just a fun little thing to compare.

As mentioned, here's what's important:

DzoDK.png

That's so high because of chrome.... if I closed my browser, it would become 51 processes, which still a bit high for me, but I finally gave in, and let a few startup items slip in. ZBar (I have two monitors), TeamViewer, HyperDesktop (screenshot program integrated with Imgur), FileHippo Update checker, and that Vista network icon indicator thing for Windows 7.

I used to have a completely blank startup list, and my number of running processes was about 45.

^^^^ is a good example of why not to use plug-ins. Same reason why I do not use Sidebar gadgets. There not Integrated into the core browser.exe (name of browser) / or core os explore.exe

but since ever one really wants to know here's my

COMPLETE LIST

post-387208-0-71155500-1303876832.jpg

post-387208-0-70219600-1303876846.jpg

post-387208-0-13723800-1303876897.jpg

Why I tend to avoid installing software:

1. Portable software is much easier to backup since the program and settings are stored together.

2. If I need to reinstall Windows, I don't need to reinstall portable software, or programs which I extracted from the installer.

3. My computer is far more stable since I stopped installing many programs.

1. Portable software is much easier to backup since the program and settings are stored together.

2. If I need to reinstall Windows, I don't need to reinstall portable software, or programs which I extracted from the installer.

Very valid points, installing programs is soooo.....2010

I don't think it's the fact that having software installed makes your system unstable. Simply having files in a certain place, and a particular set of registry keys, don't make your system unstable.

I just figure it's because installer programs vs portable programs tend to include background services and startup items more often, in which case, it just comes down to being careful about the options you are presented with during install, and having a quick look at the list of running processes, and if any extra startup items have been added. I have plenty of programs installed, but don't really notice any difference in performance because I make sure to disable anything I don't need, manually if I have to.

but you can get certainl portable software like ms office, visual studio or photoshop. ok tehr eis portable photoshop but i am not sure if its legal...not that it matters :D

but you can get certainl portable software like ms office, visual studio or photoshop. ok tehr eis portable photoshop but i am not sure if its legal...not that it matters :D

I still install some programs, but the majority of my software is portable or stand-alone. Much of the software I actually don't use that often, but it's nice that I don't need to install them when I do use them.

who cares about your installed programs list. very simple: Nobody should unless you are troubleshooting something.

A "How many processes are you running" thread is I think alot fairer :)

I believe someone commented that you could remove all the entries from this list and still have programs installed.

On a side note, while commenting portable applications, IMO they are never the same is native installed applications :) Just a opinion, not a fact.

Exactly. Who cares how slim your installed programs list is!

I have 16 running processes on XP Pro. On my Windows 7, 32 bit machines I usually have 27-29 processes running, unless I'm on one of the two computers with print spooler running, then it's between 30-33.

I was thinking the same thing! ;)

What? How? What processes do you kill that Windows 7 does not need?

There are a lot of things you can disable if you don't need them, particularly services. Visual Themes, Error Reporting, System Restore, Wireless Zero Configuration, Print Spooler, .NET Optimization Service, etc.

I started XP in safe mode (in a virtual machine), it was running with just 12 processes.

post-57213-0-25660000-1303931259.png

There are a lot of things you can disable if you don't need them, particularly services. Visual Themes, Error Reporting, System Restore, Wireless Zero Configuration, Print Spooler, .NET Optimization Service, etc.

I started XP in safe mode (in a virtual machine), it was running with just 12 processes.

post-57213-0-25660000-1303931259.png

Tick the all users box.

SK[' timestamp=1303932177' post='593933924]

Tick the all users box.

When you run as administrator, it shows processes from all users either way.

post-57213-0-59436500-1303932505.png

126 installed programs taking 2.88... And another 46 installed programs at XP mode (I hate to install java on my laptop - however on the virtual machine I don't really mind ;))

This is on my C drive:

Add%20or%20Remove%20Programs.png

Show me yours. :p

That's not to say I don't have programs on my computer. I have over 150 on my D drive but they are either fully portable or just require a few registry entries to run.

I share them between a dual boot of XP and Windows 7.

when did you format your PC?? Yesterday?? :p

Rarely. ;) I just hate the fanaticism displayed for it on Neowin. It's not like that at other tech sites I frequent. :angry:

You frequent OTHER tech sites? :o

My Windows 7 install is going on 2 years old and has a fair few things installed.

I'm not bothered at all how many programs I do / don't have installed. I use msconfig to stop stuff from starting up and disable any services that are not required, my PC still feels as fast as the day Windows 7 was installed.

85900565.jpg