• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

My INSTALLED program list is smaller than yours :p

ew2x4    4

What do you all happen to use your computer for? I use it for work, so I have to install quite a bit of stuff, and have actually decent hardware. I have 79 programs, 9.7 GB. Lots of space dedicated to 3 versions of Revit. 2 versions on 3DSMax. 2 versions of AutoCAD. Adobe CS4. I feel like nobody actually uses's their computer anymore, beyond browsing and entertainment.

n_K    2,672

Mine's smaller, I would take a screenshot and upload it but my server doesn't have IE or a web browser so it's hassle :p.

Orange Battery    393

I think Im getting old. So whats the true benefit of having virtually nothing running?

xdot.tk    118

Women find it irresistible.

+Xinok    295

You all seem to be missing the point. The point is that we prefer not to install our software; We would much rather use portable applications instead. There are a number of portable applications which you can use for programming, web design, CAD, office (OpenOffice / LibreOffice), and much more. You can be plenty productive with portable software.

We're not judging you all or suggesting that installing applications is bad. Portable software offers some advantages, and installed software offers other advantages. We just prefer portable software, that's all.

• Like 1

LiquidSolstice    115

CCleaner can remove entries from the installed programs list without actually removing them.

There's nothing impressive or useful about this, except maybe having the least amount of running processes possible.

xdot.tk    118

If it installs a bunch of files in system32 install it. Otherwise, go portable.

@LiquidSolstice, that would be cheating

LiquidSolstice    115

You all seem to be missing the point. The point is that we prefer not to install our software; We would much rather use portable applications instead. There are a number of portable applications which you can use for programming, web design, CAD, office (OpenOffice / LibreOffice), and much more. You can be plenty productive with portable software.

We're not judging you all or suggesting that installing applications is bad. Portable software offers some advantages, and installed software offers other advantages. We just prefer portable software, that's all.

Well, for me, one of the most irritating things about portable software is the lack of integration. File associations can be a pain in the ass, and context menu items (contrary to popular belief, there are a few I can't live without) are much harder to add in. I'd love to go portable only, but its just not feasible to me.

Unless anyone has manged to get Office 2010 running with Cameyo.

xdot.tk    118

Not really a a pain. Take for instance 7-Zip. Extract it (with Universal Extractor) to D:\Programs\7-Zip or something. Run it and set your settings or better yet save the reg entries and import them during OS setup.

Many, many apps can be made kinda portable this way. No need to reinstall everything whenever you need when reinstalling your OS. You can share them between dual boots too.

I also move my Start Menu, Quick Launch, etc locations so as soon as I fire up a fresh install, all my shortcuts are there.

I'll give you another example. Firefox.

Install it to D:\Programs\Firefox

Add a profile folder. For example, D:\Programs\Firefox\Profile

Create a WinRAR self extracting archive that you run on OS installation....

Contents: Profiles.ini

SFX Comment/Commands...

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\
SavePath
Silent=2

Contents of Profiles.ini...

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=MyProfile
IsRelative=0
Path=D:\Programs\Firefox\Profile

The first time you run FF it will ask you if you want to set it as the default browser. Set it if that's your preference or better yet import a reg file with the appropriate settings so everything is good to go as soon as you first fire up your new OS install.

Edited by FalsePositive

nub    181

This is completely pointless.

liju    14

134 Programs, 10.6 GB

d8pO3kdC95zHgQI-ProgramsandFeatu.png

kalkal    564

97 installed on my machine but a lot of them are simply visual C++ redistributables and such. Codecs for viewing thumbs for various RAW formats. I probably have about 20-25 fully blown apps on here.

+Xinok    295

Unless anyone has manged to get Office 2010 running with Cameyo.

Well, I downloaded the 2007 trial by accident, but it seems to work just fine with Cameyo. It came out to a lovely 622mb. I could probably shrink it if I deleted some files. Edit: Down to 325mb after deleting C:\MSOCache.

It's probably better to install Office anyways, so you can install updates for it. I mostly gave up on Cameyo and Evalazer, too much work testing and updating programs.

post-57213-0-76579800-1303949176.png

Singh400    184

62 programs installed, 11.3GB. Used to be much much bigger. But I recently formatted and re-installed. So I've been installing stuff as and when I need it.

nub    181

The size lies. Not all items has the size listed, so its actually larger than that.

Simon-    492
post-18532-0-11573300-1304001397.png

Seizure1990    252

Hey, this is the Windows section bub :p

Paul Ferson    51

I'm embarrassed by the amount of stuff I have installed, most of which I've never opened more than once. I should go through all the stuff I have sometime and uninstall a bit. According to Windows Control Panel I have 192 programs installed. Wow, that is some terrible program management on my part isn't it?

DigitalE    10

What's the point of having a computer, but nothing installed on it to actually use?

Seizure1990    252

I'm embarrassed by the amount of stuff I have installed, most of which I've never opened more than once. I should go through all the stuff I have sometime and uninstall a bit. According to Windows Control Panel I have 192 programs installed. Wow, that is some terrible program management on my part isn't it?

I always try to install stuff as soon as I decide I don't need it. I hate having dozens of programs installed that I tried and didn't like or need.

I don't think it really affects performance one way or the other, but it makes it harder to know what's going on inside your OS when it's cluttered with junk.