My Reasons for installing win2k3 instead of WinXP

enkrypt3d did you bother to read my post instead of skiming it?

Again, you started this thread generalizing everyone on this board, defensive and insulting. You have continued this tone in every post thus far. If you want respect for your comments, and a insitefull discussion of opinion, I suggest that you, once again, practice what you preach.

My only thought on this is that your are replacing an desktop operating system that can be purchased for less than 300.00 (full retail) with an operating system that is nearly 1000.00. Comapnies must be rolling ......

.......So again, what's your pitch to get the 1000 bucks a desktop from them?

Actually did you know that Win2k3 Server is available on Academic License? (Y) Its about ?190. Which i believe was for the Web Server Edition.

IF you dont install XP on a 486, it tends to run very well :whistle:

But besides that, XP can do lite serving, its no server, as for 2003 on the desktop..

I'll wait for longhorn, no-one can justify 1000 bucks for a desktop os, I'll just install debian anyway, smoother and it doesnt crash my computer either..

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3655

I posted that in another thread and it seemed to have gotten overlooked - to this day ive not seen any other review take a look at the OS in "that way". Not saying i agree with the review, not saying i dont. I guess people will just have to read and decide for themselves... :)

Oh and congratulations devilotX, you are neowin's 1st official member that actually BUYS software. ;) :D j/k

*edit* Hey look, they even quote neowin's Server > Workstation Guide on page3. :happy: *edit*

RobertH, you are correct in your statement of the Academic pricing however 'technically' that version is not licensed to be used as a corporate server (or desktop OS) unless it is used within the education facility itself or by the student/faculty member holding the license. Unless the original poster's clients are exclusive to the academic environment then that version would not be appropriate.

As for Captain Crunch's comment, you are not going to get very far doing the type system consulting/client support that the original poster (or thousands of other professionals do daily) distributing warez'd copies of an operating system. Clients expect (and rightfully so) to receive legally licensed copies of any software purchased.

dont care if he or u think its a joke it bothers some people to see others say violent things such as i would like to stab somebody with a dull spoon

my self there are alot of people i would like to slap,kick,hit,mutalate but i dont say such things becouse in reality that could get him arrested in this state

its considered a thret even if its ment as a HA HA funny joke

dont say things like that if you have a brain you can think of better ways to express such things

hey tom  hate to say it but you just broke neowin policy  you thretined sombody with violance 

yes its a thret weather you ment it or not dosnt matter you fukd up

Oh no, lets leave it up to the mods to interpet the rules.

I have ran XP for quit a while now and never had any problems never once expirence a Blue Screen or had it crash. But I mostly just play a few games Civ3 Warcraft3 Sim City and watch dvd's and listen to music and browse the internet. I have had a few programs that where legacy crash, the program its self but never has XP crashed. But you might be running diffrent things. So it all really comes down to is what your doing with your system.

enkrypt3d may I ask you what you do for a living?

RobertH, you are correct in your statement of the Academic pricing however 'technically' that version is not licensed to be used as a corporate server (or desktop OS) unless it is used within the education facility itself or by the student/faculty member holding the license. Unless the original poster's clients are exclusive to the academic environment then that version would not be appropriate.

Oh yeah,, sorry i didnt mean for his particular circumstances i just meant in general if your a poor student u can grab 2k3 'Retail' for a lot less than u think. Im pretty sure the academic license entitles a wide range of people to it.

Although im not sure what you mean about it not being licensed to be used as a Desktop OS. There is no where in the EULA that says you are not allowed to disable (or actually in this case 'enable') a load of services and play Quake on it if you want. :D

RobertH, the desktop comment was in reference to the non-academic use of the software whether it be for server use or desktop use (which it can and is being used for but was not the original intent of the version). The academic licensing is rather tight in specifying what is deemed legitimate use whether it is in on a server or desktop.

I did not intend to make it sound as if there was a restriction in the license from using it on the desktop.

dont care if he or u think its a joke it bothers some people to see others say violent things such as i would like to stab somebody with a dull spoon

my self there are alot of people i would like to slap,kick,hit,mutalate but i dont say such things becouse in reality that could get him arrested in this state

its considered a thret even if its ment as a HA HA funny joke

dont say things like that if you have a brain you can think of better ways to express such things

Threatening sample: "I'm going to stab you with a dull spoon!"

He wishes he could do so, but he didn't come out and say that he'd actually do it. Wishing for something and doing something aren't the same. Thin line of thread yes, but I'd say it was worth it. (By the way, F7.)

Enkrypt3d: Either your clients are running very incompatible hardware, or they're messing around with stuff they shouldn't be. It's easy to kill any OS if you click the right button.

hey tom hate to say it but you just broke neowin policy you thretined sombody with violance

yes its a thret weather you ment it or not dosnt matter you fukd up

If my bad karma could kill people, you'd die the seven deaths, you stupid idiot. OMFG why do I even put up with assclowns like you.

By the way, buy a frickin' spellchecker!

This thread should have been closed from the first post - it is not supporting win2k3 or XP, but blatent trolling and looking for an excuse to start an argument.

/Sorry I'm late to the argument, been on holiday ;)

This thread should have been closed from the first post - it is not supporting win2k3 or XP, but blatent trolling and looking for an excuse to start an argument.

/Sorry I'm late to the argument, been on holiday ;)

/offtopic/

Like the Avatar :D

/offtopic/