Apple Restricts Hard Drive Replacements on New iMacs

Stupid move by Apple, but they love to force vendor lock in on their users... I'll pass.

For the main 3.5" SATA hard drive bay in the new 2011 machines, Apple has altered the SATA power connector itself from a
standard 4-pin power configuration to a 7-pin configuration
. Hard drive temperature control is regulated by a combination of this cable and Apple proprietary firmware on the hard drive itself. From our testing, we've found that removing this drive from the system, or even from that bay itself, causes the machine's hard drive fans to spin at maximum speed and replacing the drive with any non-Apple original drive will result in the iMac failing the Apple Hardware Test (AHT).

As the report notes, the change does mean that anyone seeking to replace the hard drive in a new iMac will have to go through Apple, limiting options and increasing costs.

Standard 4 pin? Molex was never the standard SATA connector it was a legacy... The standard connection is 15 pins...

I'm still curious if Apple will respond to this since it's pretty damning. I think the reason why they did it is pretty obvious (to manage the temperature constraints of the tight enclosure, particularly with the HDD) but surely they could've been a way to maintain thermal levels while also keeping to industry standards for this one. My guess is they had both options but chose the current one simply because it generates them more revenue in hardware sales over the long run.

I'm still curious if Apple will respond to this since it's pretty damning. I think the reason why they did it is pretty obvious (to manage the temperature constraints of the tight enclosure, particularly with the HDD) but surely they could've been a way to maintain thermal levels while also keeping to industry standards for this one. My guess is they had both options but chose the current one simply because it generates them more revenue in hardware sales over the long run.

I just don't get that. It's not realistic to think that tons of people were opening up their iMacs to replace the hard drive. It had to be a teensy tiny minority (which is why I don't even understand the outrage now; there's a pretty slim chance you were ever going to take suction cups and a screwdriver to your iMac in the first place).

I just don't get that. It's not realistic to think that tons of people were opening up their iMacs to replace the hard drive. It had to be a teensy tiny minority (which is why I don't even understand the outrage now; there's a pretty slim chance you were ever going to take suction cups and a screwdriver to your iMac in the first place).

It's more Apple likes to flaunt industry standards and it should be avoided where possible. Until Apple explains the benefits of doing it this way then everyone's skeptical.

Wow, so much anti-Apple douchebaggery here.

They just don't want support requests from Joe Shmoe who heard from his techie cousin Marv that you can get hardware upgrades for cheaper at xyz site. The situation they're trying to avoid is having someone with a rooted Samsung Android Phone from asking Samsung for support because some app used SU to totally screw the system over.

But no no, everyone wants to see that as "OMG APPLE CONTROLLLLLL" or whatever. My response? Shut it. If you want to upgrade your computer, you'll find a way, and you'll be smarter than to get support from Apple for it.

We all mess with our investments, but messing with our investments isn't covered by the people who make them.

Wow, so much anti-Apple douchebaggery here.

They just don't want support requests from Joe Shmoe who heard from his techie cousin Marv that you can get hardware upgrades for cheaper at xyz site. The situation they're trying to avoid is having someone with a rooted Samsung Android Phone from asking Samsung for support because some app used SU to totally screw the system over.

But no no, everyone wants to see that as "OMG APPLE CONTROLLLLLL" or whatever. My response? Shut it. If you want to upgrade your computer, you'll find a way, and you'll be smarter than to get support from Apple for it.

We all mess with our investments, but messing with our investments isn't covered by the people who make them.

Since when does pro-standards = anti-Apple? I have a Macbook Pro and I love it, including being able to replace and upgrade [some of] its internals.

Since when does pro-standards = anti-Apple? I have a Macbook Pro and I love it, including being able to replace and upgrade [some of] its internals.

Which is fine, I'm not talking about people who are discussing the detriment of not having standard connectors, I'm talking about the blind hate from people just determined to vilify Apple for anything they do.

Standards is something that is just never going to catch on when it comes to electronics.

If it were, there would just be one type of connector to do a certain job, not 100+ different ones. :p

Holy ****! And I ONLY bought an iMac for the SOLE REASON to change the HDD!!

I see what the problem ist, that it sucks and all... but geez... the iMac is still one of the best computers out there, with the recent refresh even better... It's a real ****ty descision on Apples part. Yeah. But damn, it's not like the biggest deal ever. Those 8 pages here suggest otherwise, though...

I totally understand why they've done this and it's always been clear that your only easy upgrade option on the iMac was RAM. Or a USB HDD if you were so inclined.

But it still sucks and makes me glad I'm out of the Apple fanclub these days! :)

Those 8 pages here suggest otherwise, though...

Remember where you're writing - it's Neowin. Full of fanboys who think they know everything because they can change a harddrive and if you don't hate Apple, Linux and worship Microsoft, you're an idiot and a noob (even if you were building computers back when most of these guys were soiling their diapers or were barely a blink in their fathers eye).

Remember where you're writing - it's Neowin. Full of fanboys who think they know everything because they can change a harddrive and if you don't hate Apple, Linux and worship Microsoft, you're an idiot and a noob (even if you were building computers back when most of these guys were soiling their diapers or were barely a blink in their fathers eye).

Sadly that's the truth :|

Harsh but in a way true, for some members at least.

IMHO it isn't a big deal. As others have mentioned before, replacing parts in an iMac isn't for the faint of heart. I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

They need to divide the pins on the mem sticks in a slightly different way, so as to make sure no one can replace that either.

They need to divide the pins on the mem sticks in a slightly different way, so as to make sure no one can replace that either.

Go troll somewhere else. While I don't agree with this change the HDD has never been a user-servicable part of the iMac, memory is.

Standards is something that is just never going to catch on when it comes to electronics.

If it were, there would just be one type of connector to do a certain job, not 100+ different ones. :p

There are different types of connectors for a reason, so idiots dont jam the wrong thing into the wrong port.

Go troll somewhere else. While I don't agree with this change the HDD has never been a user-servicable part of the iMac, memory is.

I second that - since they've combined the temperature checking into the main cable then maybe the issue is something more benign such as wanting to have a more accurate temperature measure so that the fans can kick in earlier thus keep the hard disk cooler and thus reduce the number of returned Mac's with hard disk problems due to heat exposure over a long period of time. There is probably a very logical reason behind the decision but low and behold the haters come to the rescue to turn something benign into 'big bad Apple tries to screw over customers'.

As you noted .Neo, it has never been a usable serviceable part but mind you the iMac I have I upgraded my hard disk from the standard 320GB to 1TB by buying the hard disk from another vendor and getting the local authorised dealer to install it for me (US$125) - which worked out cheaper than purchasing it directly from Apple.

Having a look at the iMac's being sold now, I have to admit, when I purchase the ultra-high end iMac I'll stick with the standard 1TB because it is more than sufficient for what I need :D

No, Apples decisions are always against the user, because actually, they don't want you to buy their stuff because of quality hardware wise but because of the quality of their ads, you know. They are evil and hate their users, that's why OS X is so incredibly user friendly. To trick you into thinking the decision you made according to your needs was right. And then they come out and say "HAHA!! From now on it's even harder to service a not user servicable part on your iMac because we feed from your tears!".

Maybe we should all remember what the iMac actually is: It's an incredibly thin all-in-one PC with a great quality display and the power of last years Mac Pro. All in one thin case that also houses that display I mentioned.

Apple is about user experience and things working out of the box. With a computer that complicated, many things stuffed into a small case, everything being connected on very low space and all, you could do terribly wrong and screw things up for ever. Maybe the decision to make the HDD even harder to replace was made after thinking about how the iMac can be even thinner, the architecture even better for air flow and let RAM be user servicable anyways without destroying things. (sure thing, every Neowin-user would know how to build an iMac just with wood and a paperclip but Apple is supposed to be for everyone. Like my girlfriend or my dad. People that still use that earth-wallpaper on their iPhone and sometimes wonder why red light comes out of the headphone jack of their MacBook)

Maybe that's the caveeat with having an ultra thin powerhouse with built-in display.

If the iMac was some regular tower or something I would understand the anger and frustration. But with something like the iMac... No, I don't. Plus, the iMac is not portable. So what does it hurt to add some Thunderbold-driven external HDD? Or USB (unfortunately, really, no USB3.0, alright) or Firewire 800? Maybe that's why they said "Alright, we have to change something... let's keep RAM be user servicable but the HDD not..", because they only were able to do one of those. HDD space can easily be added by external HardDrives. But RAM not. So in essence, that decision was pretty great.

But no, seriously, they are super evil.

Did HP get in trouble for producing computers that could only use a certain type of memory which in the early days could only be purchased from HP?

Eventually people produced memory that would work, but HP had to change their business practices after getting a massive slapped wrist.

I bet apple get away with it though despite that their argument for it sounds just like HP did back in the day.

There will be mods people come up with though and some other places to buy compatible HDD from, or even ways to disable the temp check. So it won't be a huge issue, just a pita

Did HP get in trouble for producing computers that could only use a certain type of memory which in the early days could only be purchased from HP?

Eventually people produced memory that would work, but HP had to change their business practices after getting a massive slapped wrist.

I bet apple get away with it though despite that their argument for it sounds just like HP did back in the day.

There will be mods people come up with though and some other places to buy compatible HDD from, or even ways to disable the temp check. So it won't be a huge issue, just a pita

What part of 'hard disk is not a user upgradeable part' don't you understand? Jesus H toe tapping Christ, how about reading the documentation relating to the iMac before commenting because this has been covered already.

What part of 'hard disk is not a user upgradeable part' don't you understand? Jesus H toe tapping Christ, how about reading the documentation relating to the iMac before commenting because this has been covered already.

Agreed. What did you have to do before, suction cup to the glass and all these other work around? I never once heard from Apple that the hard drive was user replaceable. Of course you can, but it was already a pain and I bet you nearly all the iMac users will tell you they have never opened their iMac to such a degree. Data should not be on your primary drive anyway, get a couple external drives, some form of online storage, and some permanent storage for data that is really important. I have several external hard drives that have the exact same contents in case one of them goes bad.

You will never use 1 or more TB of disk space on your primary drive. I learned the hard way that permanent data should NOT be on that drive. I can store temporary data there, like a screen shot or something.

More Apple apologists, pretty sad how people will jump to Apples defense. Despite what you may think Apple doesnt care about you they only have their interests at heart. Hard Drives are user replaceable parts on pretty much every kind and make of computer out there........ except any Apple computers that is.

except any Apple computers that is.

Exept the MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and Mac Pro, right.

I would like to repeat what I wrote last page. For the hell of it.

No, Apples decisions are always against the user, because actually, they don't want you to buy their stuff because of quality hardware wise but because of the quality of their ads, you know. They are evil and hate their users, that's why OS X is so incredibly user friendly. To trick you into thinking the decision you made according to your needs was right. And then they come out and say "HAHA!! From now on it's even harder to service a not user servicable part on your iMac because we feed from your tears!".

Maybe we should all remember what the iMac actually is: It's an incredibly thin all-in-one PC with a great quality display and the power of last years Mac Pro. All in one thin case that also houses that display I mentioned.

Apple is about user experience and things working out of the box. With a computer that complicated, many things stuffed into a small case, everything being connected on very low space and all, you could do terribly wrong and screw things up for ever. Maybe the decision to make the HDD even harder to replace was made after thinking about how the iMac can be even thinner, the architecture even better for air flow and let RAM be user servicable anyways without destroying things. (sure thing, every Neowin-user would know how to build an iMac just with wood and a paperclip but Apple is supposed to be for everyone. Like my girlfriend or my dad. People that still use that earth-wallpaper on their iPhone and sometimes wonder why red light comes out of the headphone jack of their MacBook)

Maybe that's the caveeat with having an ultra thin powerhouse with built-in display.

If the iMac was some regular tower or something I would understand the anger and frustration. But with something like the iMac... No, I don't. Plus, the iMac is not portable. So what does it hurt to add some Thunderbold-driven external HDD? Or USB (unfortunately, really, no USB3.0, alright) or Firewire 800? Maybe that's why they said "Alright, we have to change something... let's keep RAM be user servicable but the HDD not..", because they only were able to do one of those. HDD space can easily be added by external HardDrives. But RAM not. So in essence, that decision was pretty great.

But no, seriously, they are super evil.

More Apple apologists, pretty sad how people will jump to Apples defense. Despite what you may think Apple doesnt care about you they only have their interests at heart. Hard Drives are user replaceable parts on pretty much every kind and make of computer out there........ except any Apple computers that is.

The point here is, the iMac NEVER had this functionality. This is not news, the fact that you had to use a suction cup and get around lots of issues originally shows that the iMacs were never meant for hard drive replacements. Why are people shocked NOW?

• Like 2