Apple Restricts Hard Drive Replacements on New iMacs

Hopefully the EU bitches about this, like when Microsoft included by default Internet Explorer with no immediate option to download another browser.

Also, hopefully this will create an anti-trust suit to the likes of Microsoft in the '90s.

Hopefully the EU bitches about this, like when Microsoft included by default Internet Explorer with no immediate option to download another browser.

Also, hopefully this will create an anti-trust suit to the likes of Microsoft in the '90s.

Yes, because Apple has a monopoly on the market right now.

/s

Well you are lucky. I am lucky in terms of I have never had a hard drive failure since my first computer about 17 years ago. Does that mean no hard drives ever fail? NO. My Dell just got its motherboard fried due to my power supply freaking out and causing a little fire. Does that mean Dell fails at building computers just because I had a single bad experience and have been using them for years? NO

Motherboard fail, nothing is 100% safe from failure. Apple's, Dell's, HP's, and even the motherboard you picked out yourself to build COULD fail.

I have very little faith in most Apple hardware decisions, if it's not incredibly underpowered/over priced, it's anti-consumer moves like this, proprietary ports and connections or skimping on features most cheap "poor branded" competitors have.

More Apple apologists, pretty sad how people will jump to Apples defense. Despite what you may think Apple doesnt care about you they only have their interests at heart.

As opposed to all those other companies who want to be your best friend and don't care about making any profit at all as long as you are happy. Enjoy living in la la la land much? Again, I don't agree with this change at all. But please, let's not pretend Apple is the only company out there that pulls stunts like this.

It has been discussed to death that Apple is not underpowered or over priced by THAT much for what you get and if you compare it PROPERLY.

Why are we still arguing over this? The point is if it takes a suction cup to replace it originally, why does an extra sensor matter? It was never meant to be replaced since the beginning. This is not new.

However, I agree with the ports thing. I do not like DisplayPort.

As opposed to all those other companies who want to be your best friend and don't care about making any profit at all as long as you are happy. Enjoy living in la la la land much? Again, I don't agree with this change at all. But please, let's not pretend Apple is the only company out there that pulls stunts like this.

The difference is all the companies that have tried propeitary stuff like motherboards, PSUs, Ram, etc.. usually get burned pretty badly. But when Apple does it everyone jumps to their defence.

You are assuming the motherboard will die? If thats the case, then Apple fails at designing computers.

I've never had a computer with a dead motherboard, RAM or any component besides a DVD drive and 2 hard drives.

You are kidding right ?

You simply can't be serious. You never ever had a dead MB or PSU (and a dead PSU = dead MB almost always) ... i'm shocked. You must be young or upgrading your MB every 2 years.

The difference is all the companies that have tried propeitary stuff like motherboards, PSUs, Ram, etc.. usually get burned pretty badly. But when Apple does it everyone jumps to their defence.

Thanks for ignoring my other posts.

Anyways, in response to this one, the point is that Apple never actually claimed their hard drive was user serviceable. If anything, it's the oppositite, when other companies try it, all those company apologists jump out in droves but when Apple does it, oh no, then it's an immortal sin among this earth (as evidenced by your reaction as well as those who take your point of view)

Did you even read this thread? A lot of people, including Mac users, indicated they're against this move Apple made. Myself included. Where the hell do you get "everyone" from? You sure have an unbelievable flair for the dramatic. Beyond that the HDD of the iMac isn't a user-servicable part, that's something you'll have to deal with when buying an all-in-one like this.

Do people realise video game consoles (PS3, 360) are now computers with proprietary stuff you can't replace yourself ? When a 360 RRoD it's basically send it to MS for a repair or buy a new one. You simply can't replace the burned part inside it (probably the video card in most case). And it's okay. No problem with that. I mean you don't want to open a console anyway. It's not standard stuff. And the iMac is not either.

Yes, because Apple has a monopoly on the market right now.

/s

They have complete control over their product with utter dis-regard for their users. It is at the very least, a worse offense than Microsoft having the default web browser be Internet explorer.

And to any Apple fanboy, I'm sure that you can relate to the crappy customer service of apple. Their product quality is going downhill and their customer service reps are pricks. So I hope that something becomes of this.

Alright, seriously, everybody that's complaining: how does this honestly restrict your choices at all? Really. If you're smart enough to open up the iMac, then you're smart enough to install a piece of software that regulates your fan speed.

Hard drives aren't supposed to be user serviceable in the iMac, end of story. Any action you take that would void your warranty isn't going to be supported by Apple, and there's no reason they should make it easy for you. It doesn't really matter what you think Apple should do. And hey, Apple isn't the only shop in town. Capitalism FTW!

And to any Apple fanboy, I'm sure that you can relate to the crappy customer service of apple. Their product quality is going downhill and their customer service reps are pricks. So I hope that something becomes of this.

No, I really can't relate. I've never met an Apple service rep that's a prick, and usually my service call or appointment ends in a no-questions-asked replacement for things like iPhones, iPods, and AirPorts. I've rarely had to use their computer repair service, but if I do, it's usually back to me within a day or two.

Do people realise video game consoles (PS3, 360) are now computers with proprietary stuff you can't replace yourself ? When a 360 RRoD it's basically send it to MS for a repair or buy a new one. You simply can't replace the burned part inside it (probably the video card in most case). And it's okay. No problem with that. I mean you don't want to open a console anyway. It's not standard stuff. And the iMac is not either.

Umm... a console is at most a third of the cost of a Mac. Not a great comparison if you ask me.

One more reason not to buy an iMac :unsure:

just another reason to go hackentosh

just another reason to go hackentosh

So if you bought an iMac, would you (on the day you receive it) take a suction cup, remove the display glass, void the warranty, potentially get dirt/dust under the glass, and exchange the hard drive just for more space? Use an external hard drive. I will say this again: Hard drives were never meant to be replaceable on iMacs. Not now, not a couple of years ago.

I am not a fan of this either, but the fact that it was never meant to be replaceable in the first place does not irritate me. You should not need more than 250GB - 320GB of hard drive in the system. If you want more for storage, there are external hard drives.

So if you bought an iMac, would you (on the day you receive it) take a suction cup, remove the display glass, void the warranty, potentially get dirt/dust under the glass, and exchange the hard drive just for more space? Use an external hard drive. I will say this again: Hard drives were never meant to be replaceable on iMacs. Not now, not a couple of years ago.

I am not a fan of this either, but the fact that it was never meant to be replaceable in the first place does not irritate me. You should not need more than 250GB - 320GB of hard drive in the system. If you want more for storage, there are external hard drives.

i was talking about building your own custom PC and putting hackentosh on it

i was talking about building your own custom PC and putting hackentosh on it

And I was talking about your response. JUST because they add this you will not buy a mac and get a hackintosh when in fact you were never supposed to be doing this yourself in the first place. You want to be a pro and modify the system after you get it, there is a Mac Pro line or use a PC. People need to stop fussing over this small change when, for the millionth time, you were never supposed to be doing this yourself in the first place.

I have seen people using Hackintosh systems, it is not worth it and it is severely buggy.

Umm... a console is at most a third of the cost of a Mac. Not a great comparison if you ask me.

A console doesn't come with a 27-inch high-res ISP panel, nor does it have anywhere near the same processing power. Price is irrelevant. When buying an all-in-one like the iMac you'll have to deal with the fact that many parts aren't user-servicable.

A console doesn't come with a 27-inch high-res ISP panel, nor does it have anywhere near the same processing power. Price is irrelevant. When buying an all-in-one like the iMac you'll have to deal with the fact that many parts aren't user-servicable.

There. Is. No. Reason. For. It. To. Be. Unibody.

Every other computer on the planet has user serviceable parts and for the most part easy access to them.

Apple is form over function.

Shut up about not user servicable.

What happens if the Mac hdd breaks and you are out of warranty, do you just throw the Mac away because you think they are not meant to be replaced.

If you have the ability to do it you shouldnt be forced to either buy a standard hdd and hack around the 100% fan issue, or pay the apple tax for a propietary hdd....

There. Is. No. Reason. For. It. To. Be. Unibody.

Every other computer on the planet has user serviceable parts and for the most part easy access to them.

Apple is form over function.

There is a reason, it's called design. If you have an issue with it simply don't buy an iMac and quit your whining. Nobody is forcing you to buy one. Problem solved. All iMacs and eMacs to date are a bitch to upgrade, none of them were unibody before so that's not the issue alone. I spent two hours replacing the HDD of a HP all-in-one, that wasn't exactly a treat either. It's the downside of most all-in-one desktop computers.

There is a reason, it's called design. If you have an issue with it simply don't buy an iMac and quit your whining. Nobody is forcing you to buy one. Problem solved.

I wish I could +1 multiple times.

Shut up about not user servicable.

What happens if the Mac hdd breaks and you are out of warranty, do you just throw the Mac away because you think they are not meant to be replaced.

If you have the ability to do it you shouldnt be forced to either buy a standard hdd and hack around the 100% fan issue, or pay the apple tax for a propietary hdd....

What happens if the motherboard fries and it is out of warranty?!