Life sentence for Ohio mom who microwaved baby

DAYTON, Ohio ? An Ohio woman convicted of killing her month-old baby daughter in a microwave oven was spared the death penalty and sentenced Friday to life in prison without parole.

Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Mary Wiseman sentenced China Arnold, 31, of Dayton.

Arnold was convicted last week of aggravated murder by the same jury that recommended her punishment. Jurors deliberated about six hours Thursday and Friday.

Prosecutors say Arnold intentionally put 28-day-old Paris Talley in a microwave and turned it on after a fight with her boyfriend. The defense argued that someone else was likely responsible for the baby's death.

Medical experts testified that the baby died quickly after her temperature reached between 107 to 108 degrees Fahrenheit. They said she probably was in the microwave for more than two minutes.

"She died because she was overheated," said Dr. Marcella Fierro, retired chief medical examiner for Virginia. "She was cooked."

more

whats the point of life in prison??? might as well get the death penalty instead of taking up room, taxes paying for their food an etc, sheesh :crazy:

She deserve the death penalty... Killing your own daughter in such horrible way is just barbaric.

Oh, trust me, she will essentially get the death penalty. Most people in prison don't look very kindly on people convicted of hurting kids. She'll be lucky if she lasts a month.

whats the point of life in prison??? might as well get the death penalty instead of taking up room, taxes paying for their food an etc, sheesh :crazy:

Too many pansy ass liberal politicians and jurors who oppose the death penalty. But, as I said, she probably won't be alive very long in prison.

Someone else did it....... How the hell do these defense attorneys sleep at night defending these people?

*sigh* And to think my tax money is used to house these animals instead of kill them off. I'm not big on capital punishment, but this seems like a given.

*sigh* And to think my tax money is used to house these animals instead of kill them off. I'm not big on capital punishment, but this seems like a given.

Stop using the money argument. Death penaltys cost more then life.

Good.

</thread>

+1

Too many pansy ass liberal politicians and jurors who oppose the death penalty. But, as I said, she probably won't be alive very long in prison.

I am a liberal and I dont care about death penalty. In fact Im not a liberal, I just dont care.

I would've voted as the jurors did... just because a quick death is too good for her. She will taste hell in prison.

Believe it or not, dying is the easy way out. To spend the next 40-50 years of your life...locked in a cell. That would be unbearable. If i was facing life in prison and never getting out, and death, I'd probably take the death penalty. I hate being in small rooms, not able to do what I want, go outside...nothing.

Stop using the money argument. Death penaltys cost more then life.

I'm not arguing that it's costing any more or less, I'm arguing that my money is being wasted keeping this woman alive, fed, and sheltered for the rest of her life rather than putting her where she belongs.

I'm not arguing that it's costing any more or less, I'm arguing that my money is being wasted keeping this woman alive, fed, and sheltered for the rest of her life rather than putting her where she belongs.

In this specific case, think like this: You're keeping this woman alive so she can live hell in prison. Believe me, inmates will torture her to the point she'll wish for the death penalty.

In this specific case, think like this: You're keeping this woman alive so she can live hell in prison. Believe me, inmates will torture her to the point she'll wish for the death penalty.

Perhaps, but I'm not so much interested in punishing her as I am just removing her existence from this earth. I think the goal of criminal justice is to remove the problem, either through rehabilitation or death penalty. Yeah, I agree that it's not so black and white and that there's usually more to a story than it ending in those two outcomes, but I'd rather find a way to correct a problem than to house it securely somewhere.

Perhaps, but I'm not so much interested in punishing her as I am just removing her existence from this earth. I think the goal of criminal justice is to remove the problem, either through rehabilitation or death penalty. Yeah, I agree that it's not so black and white and that there's usually more to a story than it ending in those two outcomes, but I'd rather find a way to correct a problem than to house it securely somewhere.

Either way, life prison or death penalty, does not correct the problem anyway.

Either way, life prison or death penalty, does not correct the problem anyway.

In my mind, she is the problem. The fact she exists after doing what she did is a problem to me that is easily solved.

To end a child's life when the child is not even 2 months old is to rob it of its life before it ever began. She doesn't deserve to keep hers.