As a celebration of World Book Day, Amazon has announced that it is offering nine free Kindle books via its AmazonCrossing program for users in the United States. The nine books are English translations from authors all around the world, and will be available to download beginning today and ending at 11:59pm PDT on April 24th.
In a statement, Mikyla Bruder, Publisher of Amazon Publishing, said:
“We believe books have the power to connect us across language, country, and culture. Today we are making an investment in books in translation and giving readers access to stories from diverse cultural perspectives with an aim to reach one million readers in honor of World Book Day.”
The included books are listed below:
- A River in Darkness: One Man’s Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa, translated from Japanese by Risa Kobayashi and Martin Brown: An Amazon Charts bestselling memoir about one man’s harrowing escape from the oppression of.
- The House by the River by Lena Manta, translated from Greek by Gail Holst-Warhaft: An epic saga of love, adventure and family from Greece’s reigning #1 best-selling author.
- Still Waters by Viveca Sten, translated from Swedish by Marlaine Delargy: The first book in the nearly 4 million-copy best-selling Swedish Sandhamn Murders series.
- The Great Passage by Shion Miura, translated from Japanese by Juliet Winters Carpenter: This award-winning novel, adapted into a major motion picture, about the making of a Japanese dictionary is a reminder that a life dedicated to passion is a life well lived.
- Last Train to Istanbul by Ayşe Kulin, translated from Turkish by John W. Baker: A sweeping story of love, adventure and compassion, about a young Turkish couple traversing Nazi-occupied to gain their freedom, from one of Turkey’s most beloved authors.
- The Gray House by Mariam Petrosyan, translated from Russian by Yuri Machkasov: An astounding and award-winning tale of a mesmerizing space where disabilities symbolize strengths.
- The Question of Red by Laksmi Pamuntjak, translated from Indonesian by Laksmi Pamuntjak: A saga of love, revolution and resilience and one woman’s courage to forge her own path, from an award-winning Indonesian novelist.
- The Light of the Fireflies by Paul Pen, translated from Spanish by Simon Bruni: A haunting page-turner about a boy who lives underground and discovers that light exists in even the darkest of places.
- Ten Women by Marcela Serrano, translated from Spanish by Beth Fowler: A group of women with divergent life stories bond over triumphs and heartaches in this beautiful tale about universal connections from an award-winning Chilean author.
According to the retail giant, AmazonCrossing translates award-winning, best-selling and important contemporary books from around the world. The firm previously pledged $10 million to increase the number and diversity of the number of books that were available in translation. In order to grab one of the listed books just head on over to Amazon’s Read The World page; the page also includes a live ticker to see how many pages have been read.