China Blocking Access to Google News Site - Watchdog

China is blocking access to the Web site Google News, media watchdog Reporters Without Borders said on Tuesday, and accused the U.S.-based company of being complicit by filtering its Chinese-language site. The Paris-based group said the government had been blocking Google's English-language Web site (www.news.google.com) for about 10 days, after the company launched a Chinese-language version that removed politically sensitive reports.

Attempts by Reuters to access the site in China on Tuesday resulted in a search freeze. "China is censoring Google News to force Internet users to use the Chinese version of the site which has been purged of the most critical news reports," Reporters Without Borders said in a statement. "By agreeing to launch a news service that excludes publications disliked by the government, Google has let itself be used by Beijing," it said. Google News launched it its Chinese version in September and agreed not to list certain news on the site, Reporters Without Borders said.

News source: Reuters

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Sony takes on iPod with new hard-disk Walkman

Previous Article

Looking (Way) Ahead to Longhorn Server

-1 Comments - Add comment

Advertisement