After creating an impressive community over several years, Cyanogen blossomed into a legitimate company that saw its efforts create partnerships with the likes of OnePlus and many others. But after a couple years, it was evident that things weren't going so smoothly with the company cutting ties with OnePlus and also pivoting its business model. Eventually, the company would dissolve, leaving many to question the future of Cyanogen. Luckily, it wasn't long before a new project would be announced, Lineage OS.
While it's only been a month, the folks working on Lineage OS has been quite busy. Although there were experimental builds available, garnering 50,000+ downloads, it looks like the team is ready to release official builds to multiple handsets. The team plans to offer weekly updates and will support more than 80 devices.
- The build roster is ever growing, but we are supporting Marshmallow and Nougat capable devices.
- We’ll list the 80+ devices in a separate post.
- Our release cadence will be ‘weekly’ by default (to be nice to all the donated hardware).
- We will NOT be shipping root baked into the ROM.
- Root will be a downloadable zip based install similar to gapps installation (only need to flash it once).
- Home builders that want to bake su back into the ROM can use the command ‘export WITH_SU=true’ prior to building.
- Our official builds will all be signed with a private key for authentication and signature permission control
- This will not break, prevent or stop any ‘unofficial’ builds.
- Key verification info can be found on the wiki Verifying Build Authenticity page
Lineage OS and the various builds will start to roll out this coming weekend. Be sure to hit the source link below for more details and updates.