Over the next few days, Microsoft will push out an update to those of you who are in the 'Xbox Preview Dashboard' program that will bring with it new features which will eventually be released in August. The update will add quite a few new features to the Xbox One and we have them listed below.
If you need an invite to the program, you can head into the forums as there is a thread where users are giving out invitations to the dashboard preview app that you need to register your console. Once you have done that, you will be able to receive the updates ahead of the general population.
Per Microsoft, here are all the updates that are coming to the platform:
- Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publicly (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
- Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leader board to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.
- Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically receive updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
- Low battery notification: A notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
- Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications during the playback of video.
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
- OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.
- Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”
The rapid release for Microsoft of the Xbox One update has been bringing new features to the platform at a steady pace. With a new update each month, users don't have to wait long for new features to arrive like they did with the Xbox 360 which was only updated a couple times a year, at most. The update will be released in August but a specific date was not announced.
For those of you in the preview program, this update will arrive next week.