Motorola CEO hints about new smartphones and tablets

Motorola Mobility has plans to release two new major 4G LTE smartphones and two new tablet devices before the end of the year. That's the word from the company's CEO Sanjay Jha in a new interview with News.com. One of those new smartphones will be the Motorola Bionic. The Android-based phone was first announced at CES last January but issues with getting the phone's LTE technology to work have delayed its release by several months. The Bionic should now be released sometime in September, according to Jha.

In addition to the new phones, two more tablet devices will be released by Motorola before the end of 2011. Details are scarce at this point but Jha said one will have a 10 inch screen while the other will be smaller. The tablets will join the previously released Motorola Xoom that launched earlier this year. Motorola said the tablet, the first with the Honeycomb operating system inside, had shipments of 440,000 units in the second quarter. The Verizon version of the Xoom will get an upgrade to use the wireless carrier's 4G network sometime in September.

Overall Motorola reported that it generated $3.3 billion in revenue in the quarter that ended June 30. It also reported that it shipped a total of 11 million mobile phones during the quarter of which 4.4 million were in the smartphone category. The company predicted it will have a break even third quarter followed by a profitable fourth quarter.

Report a problem with article
Next Article

GameStop to offer in-store pre-orders for PC game downloads

Previous Article

Rumor: AT&T to start data speed throttling in October

7 Comments - Add comment

Advertisement