Last week's Sea of Thieves update didn't go as smoothly as Rare wanted it to. The newly introduced inventory system was not popular with the playerbase, and the pesky new bugs that pirates also had to deal with weren't helping, although one of them was quite humorous.
Today's 1.2.5 update to the game aims to fix most of these new issues and also implements changes to the new inventory system based on player feedback. Just as before, empty barrels will now show a tooltip saying they are empty to nearby players without needing to check their innards. The number of resources that can be found in barrels has been increased as well, so pirates can minimize the amount of time they spend stocking up for voyages and battles.
Further improvements to the new barrel UI system are in the works too, with Rare saying the above improvements are "the first of many improvements we have planned for future updates."
The rest of the changes include the ability to give other pirates loot items by holding them out, which was restricted to bananas and cannonballs before, and switching around the Resources and Equipment menus for faster access. For doubloon hunters, Rare will also be keeping the currency rewards for Cursed Crews commendations even after the Bilge Rat Adventure comes to a close next week.
Here's the full list of fixed issues in this update as well as the known issues to keep an eye out for.
- Fixed issue with telescope clipping.
- Caged pigs can now be fed again!
- Bounty Skulls which are washed up on islands can now be picked up.
- The Hunter Jacket and Trousers now display with their correct colours.
- Solo sailor crews can now access Crew Privacy settings.
- Items placed at the bow of the Brigantine can now be picked back up.
- It is no longer possible to be kicked out of the ship's Cannonball Barrel inventory due to the ship's movement on the waves.
- Players hit by the Emote Cursed Cannonball will no longer experience the hit animation when the effect wears off.
- It is no longer possible to scroll through the UI on the Ship Selection Menu.
- Shooting a Blunderbuss underwater will now display the correct VFX.
- Merchant Alliance crates on board a ship which sinks will not float to the surface and cannot be picked up.
- We have identified the issue and we're working on a fix.
- Gold Metal Skeletons cannot be affected by buckets of water.
- We have a fix for this coming in a future update.
The update is available for download now and weighs in at 2GB on the Xbox One family of consoles and around 1.2GB on Windows 10 PCs.
With the Cursed Crews Bilge Rat Adventure's ending next week there will be a week of regular sailing following that, but pirates will then be greeted with the Sea of Thieves Forsaken Shores major content update on September 19.