3D Creator, an app built by Sony that is available for a small number of Xperia smartphones, leverages the camera on the device to scan real-world objects and create three-dimensional models. These 3D rendered models can then be used for some fun applications such as turning them into avatars or even 3D printing the models created in the app.
During Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2018, along with the unveiling of the Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 Compact flagships, the firm showed off some of the new features heading to the 3D Creator app in an upcoming update. Today, as promised, a major 2.0 update is rolling out to the supported phones that include the Xperia XZ Premium, XZ1 and XZ1 Compact.
The update brings with it the ability to use the front camera for creating 3D models, or what Sony calls ‘3D selfies’ that can then be directly shared on Facebook or be 3D printed. Previously, only the rear-facing camera could be used to capture these objects. Additionally, Sony claims that the app will now “be able to capture even more detail and definition, with post-scan cloud processing rendering your 3D scans in 4K textures”. In simpler terms, the 3D models will be crisper and contain more detail, leading to a better experience.
Here is the complete list of features offered by the 3D Creator app:
- Share your model on social media
- Print your models – either 3D print them at home or connect with professional 3D printing services
- AR effects: bring your scans to life as 3D avatars, using AR (Augmented Reality) in the camera
- Use your model as a Live wallpaper
- Editor: enhance the model with photo adjustments and cropping, or get creative and play with the morph tool
- Find and download more apps that can plug in to 3D Creator
- Keep your models safe with online backup
If you own one of the three supported devices, you can grab the 3D Creator update from the Play Store here.