Windows 10 claims 5.21% of the desktop OS market share in just one month

After a little more than a month since its release, Microsoft's newest operating system, Windows 10, has already captured 5.21% of the desktop OS market as of August. This is according to NetMarketshare, a firm which constantly monitors market shares for internet technologies.

This can be compared to StatCounter's previous report in the middle of August, which stated that the OS has already recorded 4.74% share in less than three weeks. However, it is worth noting that this is not a record for a whole month. StatCounter and NetMarketshare have different methods in measuring market share, but a previous report has shown their close parity.

This share for August seals the fourth spot for Windows 10 as the most used desktop operating system in the world, surpassing Linux and Mac OS X in just a month's time. Meanwhile, Windows 7 still remains king of all OSes, garnering 57.67% market share. This, however, is a significant drop from its July record, which was at 60.73%.

Windows 8.1, on the other hand, accumulated 11.39% of the pie, and Windows 8 at 2.56%. Combined, the two versions registered 13.95%, a decrease from last month's 15.89 combined market share. Lastly, Windows XP is in third place, collecting 12.14%, a decrease by almost one percent since last month.

With the recent announcement by Microsoft stating that Windows 10 is installed on more than 75 million devices in less than a month, considering that it's still offering Windows 10 for free to those who are eligible, it can be interesting to see how Windows 10 will further grow, and be adapted by users.

Source: NetMarketshare

Report a problem with article
feature
Next Article

Nest announces third generation Learning Thermostat with a larger high resolution display

xbox-windows-10-mobile-xl
Previous Article

Xbox Rewards resets MyVIP stats and changes terms, faces huge customer backlash

63 Comments - Add comment

Advertisement