Audacity is a free, open source digital audio editor and recording application. Edit your sounds using cut, copy, and paste features (with unlimited undo functionality), mix tracks, or apply effects to your recordings. The program also has a built-in amplitude-envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency-analysis window for audio-analysis applications. Built-in effects include bass boost, wah wah, and noise removal, and the program also supports VST plug-in effects.
You can use Audacity to:
- Record live audio.
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using optional libraries.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording.
- Write your own plug-in effects with Nyquist.
- And more! See the complete list of features.
Audacity 2.2.2 changelog:
Easier zooming in and out with mousewheel, new Zoom Toggle command, and context menu for vertical rulers (thanks to James Crook)
Easy access to change keyboard bindings of menu commands by holding Shift key
Detection of dropout errors while recording with overburdened CPU
Improved contrasts in Light and Dark themes
Half-wave display option
Several bugs/annoyances in 2.2.1 are now fixed
- Full details on the changes since 2.2.1 can be found in the 2.2.2 Release Notes.
- Multiple use of "Save As" to the existing open project can result in data corruption/loss
- Crash undoing during record, using Discard button of History window
- Exporting audio in compressed formats to device with insufficient space produces inconsistent/truncated results
- In Export Multiple, Cancel does not remove the file that is in progress when Cancel is chosen
- Crash using SBSMS pitch change at low sample rate
- Installer has old logo for 2.2.1 and 2.2.0
- (Mac) Equalization: "Telephone" curve displays a flat line, no sound on Preview
- Toolbars: open undocked if previously not shown, unless Reset Toolbars first
- Analysis effects that create labels should give focus to label track
- Control value may be out of range when using FloatingPointValidator
- Analysis effects produce false indication that a label is open for editing
- Import Uncompressed File Dialog Incorrect Reference to Menu Item
- Wave Color not grayed out in TCP dropdown menu when in Spectrogram view
- Hover indication on note track channel toggle appears on all tracks (when they rerender)
- Unicode page encodings fixed
- Un-muting with a single track unnecessarily activates the Solo button
- Applying chain to file should zoom-to-fit
Download: Audacity 2.2.2 | 19.3 MB (Open Source)
Download: Audacity 2.2.2 Standalone | 11.4 MB
View: Audacity Home Page
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
8 Comments - Add comment