Kdenlive is an acronym for KDE Non-Linear Video Editor. It works on GNU/Linux, Windows and BSD. Through the MLT framework, Kdenlive integrates many plugin effects for video and sound processing or creation. Furthermore Kdenlive brings a powerful titling tool, a DVD authoring (menus) solution, and can then be used as a complete studio for video creation.
Kdenlive supports all of the formats supported by FFmpeg or libav (such as QuickTime, AVI, WMV, MPEG, and Flash Video, among others), and also supports 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios for both PAL, NTSC and various HD standards, including HDV and AVCHD. Video can also be exported to DV devices, or written to a DVD with chapters and a simple menu.
Video editing features:
- Multi-track editing with a timeline and supports an unlimited number of video and audio tracks.
- A built-in title editor and tools to create, move, crop and delete video clips, audio clips, text clips and image clips.
- Ability to add custom effects and transitions.
- A wide range of effects and transitions. Audio signal processing capabilities include normalization, phase and pitch shifting, limiting, volume adjustment, reverb and equalization filters as well as others. Visual effects include options for masking, blue-screen, distortions, rotations, colour tools, blurring, obscuring and others.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts and interface layouts.
- Rendering is done using a separate non-blocking process so it can be stopped, paused and restarted.
- Kdenlive also provides a script called the Kdenlive Builder Wizard (KBW) that compiles the latest developer version of the software and its main dependencies from source, to allow users to try to test new features and report problems on the bug tracker.
- Project files are stored in XML format.
- An archiving feature allows exporting a project among all assets into a single folder or compressed archive.
- Built-in audio mixer
Kdenlive 23.04.3 release notes:
Kdenlive 23.04.3 is out with many fixes to recent regressions and usability improvements to the audio mixer levels display and subtitle widget on smaller screens.
Version 23.04.3 changelog:
- Fix tests.
- Fix effects disappearing from timeline sequence and other sync issues.
- Fix crash loading project with an unknown transition.
- Fix crash trying to open backup for moved project file.
- Switch vglobal_quality to vqp for nvenc (same as Shotcut).
- Backport ASAN fix from master.
- Fix ASAN use after freed.
- Mixer: polish audio levels display, add scale for gain slider.
- Fix audio levels gradient colors.
- Mixes: ensure asset panel cleared on undo insert, fix mix inserted at wrong clip end on drop.
- Fix mixes incorrectly saved as luma.
- Ensure Subtitle widget can fit on smaller screens.
- Fix crash pressing Home on subtitle track.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware