Kodi media center, formerly known as XBMC Media Center, is an award-winning free and open source cross-platform software media player and entertainment hub for digital media for HTPCs (Home theater PCs). Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a harddrive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons.
Kodi can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: Kodi can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive. Kodi will scan all of your media and create a personalized library complete with boxcovers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.
Fixes done in this release:
- Fixed missing binary add-ons on release time
- Fixed crash on older distros like Ubuntu 14.04 with GCC 4.8 compiler
From previous v17.2 release:
- Fix selection after channelgroup switching in PVR guide window
- Fix handling of gaps that caused eradic behaviour in EPG grid
- Allow backing out of fullscreen pictures by mapping longpress guesture
- Quick fix for wake up command not being called in PVR power management
- Use alternative method to check if platform updates have been installed on Windows
- Set the minimum version in the code which is currently OSX 10.8
- Fix possible security flaw which could abused .zip files which try to traverse to a parent directory
- Use the correct ttc font from the video file for subtitles on Windows
- Detect and delete zero-byte database files which causes crashes
- You may have read in the news that malicious subtitle zip files could potentially infect and harm your media player including Kodi. Check Point researchers uncovered this flaw they contact us up front to less us know about this flaw. Kodi developers fixed this security gap and have added the fix to this v17.2 release. Any previous Kodi version will not get any security patch. Kodi 17.2 will be available on Android Play Store as well as Windows Store and will roll out as soon as possible. Please be patient if you are using these store versions. The official download page of course has the regular install files available for the supported platforms.
Only get static noise on Android?
- If you have a Android device that only outputs static noise during playback you should contact your device manufacturer. Recently Samsung released their Android 7.0 Nougat update for certain phone range that basically has broken audio support. This is something that Kodi development team is not going to fix as it's caused by a firmware bug. Only option you have is either stay at Kodi v16 or start contacting your device manufacturer and urge them to fix this issue.
Download: Kodi 17.3 | Other Systems | 80.0 MB (Open Source)
View: Kodi Home Page | Kodi for Android
7 Comments - Add comment