Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC) is a free and open-source video and audio player for Windows. MPC-HC is based on the original Guliverkli project and contains many additional features and bug fixes. MPC-HC isn’t flashy but it works with nearly any media format. MPC-HC uses DXVA technology to pass decoding operations to your modern video card, enhancing your viewing experience. And MPC-HC supports both physical and software DVDs with menus, chapter navigation, and subtitles.
Overview of features
A lot of people seem to be unaware of some of the awesome features that have been added to MPC-HC in the past years. Here is a list of useful options and features that everyone should know about:
- Menu > View > Dark Theme
- When using dark theme it is also possible to change the height of the seekbar and size of the toolbar buttons.
- Options > Advanced
Video preview on the seekbar
- Options > Tweaks > Show preview on seek bar
Adjust playback speed
- Menu > Play > Playback rate
- The buttons in the player that control playback rate take a 2x step by default. This can be customized to smaller values (like 10%):
- Options > Playback > Speed step
- Adjusting playback speed works best with the internal audio renderer. This also has automatic pitch correction.
- Options > Playback > Output > Audio Renderer
MPC-HC can remember playback position, so you can resume from that point later
- Options > Player > History
- You can quickly seek through a video with Ctrl + Mouse Scrollwheel.
- You can jump to next/previous file in a folder by pressing PageUp/PageDown.
- You can perform automatic actions at end of file. For example to go to next file or close player.
- Options > Playback > After Playback (permanent setting)
- Menu > Play > After Playback (for current file only)
- A-B repeat - You can loop a segment of a video. Press [ and ] to set start and stop markers.
You can rotate/flip/mirror/stretch/zoom the video
- Menu > View > Pan&Scan
- This is also easily done with hotkeys (see below).
There are lots of keyboard hotkeys and mouse actions to control the player. They can be customized as well.
- Options > Player > Keys
- Tip: there is a search box above the table.
You can stream videos directly from Youtube and many other video websites
- Put youtube-dl.exe in the MPC-HC installation folder.
- Then you can open website URLs in the player: Menu > File > Open File/URL
- You can even download those videos: Menu > File > Save a copy
- Tip: to be able to download in best quality with youtube-dl, it is recommended to also put ffmpeg.exe in the MPC-HC folder.
- Several configuration options are found here: Options > Advanced
Play HDR video
- This requires using madVR or MPC Video Renderer.
- After installation these renderers can be selected here:
- Options > Playback > Output
Ability to search for and download subtitles, either automatically or manually (press D):
- Options > Subtitles > Misc
Besides all these (new) features, there have also been many bugfixes and internal improvements in the player in the past years that give better performance and stability. It also has updated internal codecs. Support was added for CUE sheets, WebVTT subtitles, etc.
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema 1.9.22 changelog:
- Updated MediaInfo DLL to version 22.06
- Added support for rendering subtitles on DX11 surface. This is utilized by MPC Video Renderer (version 0.6.0 and above) in DX11 mode.
- Added option to automatically save a downloaded subtitle file. When enabled it saves the active subtitle when closing the video file.
- Added advanced option to specify preferred audio format (AAC/Opus) when streaming from Youtube.
- The command line parameter /play without further parameters will now resume last opened file.
- The command line parameter /pns now also supports explicit position and zoom values.
- Added support for rendering WebP image with internal filters.
- Added advanced option to specify image display duration. This setting is only supported by "Generate Still Video" and "MPC Image Source" filters. Generate Still Video seems to use a minimum of 10 seconds, so be aware of that. Image formats rendered by the internal LAV Filters will now have infinite duration (at 1 fps) so they are no longer quickly skipped over in a playlist. Custom duration is not supported by that filter.
- The "Playlist" context menu option on the Formats options page now controls whether the "Add to Playlist" context menu entry is created.
- AB repeat values are now remembered when file is reloaded after resuming from sleep.
- When saving MPCPL playlist file, it now always uses relative paths when logical.
- Fixed regression with moving subs up/down.
- Fixed an issue with WebVTT subtitles when changing playback rate.
- Fixed an issue with FullscreenSeparateControls option when moving to next file.
- A few small bug fixes.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware