Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log into accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on XMPP and sitting in an IRC channel at the same time.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: Jabber/XMPP, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin 2.14.9 release notes:
- Remove _xmppconnect support. (Review 1357) (CVE-2022-26491) (Gary Kramlich)
- Fix a GLib CRITICAL message with typing time outs. (Review 1123) (Mohammed Sadiq)
- Fix an issue where the unit tests for purple_str_to_time would fail. (GENTOO-819774) (Review 1238) (Gary Kramlich)
- Fix a memory leak in pidgin_conversations_set_tab_colors. (Review 1244) (ivanhoe)
- Fixed the majority of the infinite resizing issues in the input box. (PIDGIN-16753, PIDGIN-16999, PIDGIN-17287, PIDGIN-17413, PIDGIN-17430, PIDGIN-17568, PIDGIN-17602) (Review 1342) (Belgin Știrbu)
- Add transient-buddy back which is used to show some context menus and other things. (PIDGIN-17523) (Review 1381) (Belgin Știrbu)
- Fix the download of dictionaries in the Windows installer. (PIDGIN-14618, PIDGIN-15648, PIDGIN-15540, PIDGIN-14612, PIDGIN-14893) (Review 1303) (Gary Kramlich)
- Fix a typo in the German translations. (PIDGIN-17575) (Review 1242) (ivanhoe)
- Synced all of the translations with Transifex.
- Fix IRC file transfers on Windows. (PIDGIN-17175) (Review 1382) (Belgin Știrbu)
- Fix file transfers failing at 99% on IRC. (PIDGIN-15893) (Review 1385) (Belgin Știrbu)
- Default realname and ident name in IRC to the username (nickname) of the account. (PIDGIN-17610) (Review 1386) (Belgin Știrbu)
- Add an advanced account option to IRC accounts for explicitly setting the SASL login name. (PIDGIN-15451) (Review 1388) (Belgin Știrbu)
- Added a rate limiter that should make it impossible to excess flood. (Review 1391) (Gary Kramlich)
- Fix an issue with the CSeq numbers in SIMPLE. (PIDGIN-9675) (Review 1379) (dohmniq)
- Fix XMPP attention messages being sent to incorrect JIDs. (PIDGIN-14714) (Review 1387) (itsnotabigtruck, Belgin Știrbu)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware