RSS Guard is a simple (yet powerful) feed reader. It is able to fetch the most known feed formats, including RSS/RDF and ATOM. It's free, it's open-source. RSS Guard currently supports Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian. RSS Guard will never depend on other services - this includes online news aggregators like Feedly, The Old Reader and others.
RSS Guard is developed on top of the Qt library and it supports these operating systems:
- OS/2 (eComStation)
- Mac OS X
- xBSD (possibly)
- Android (possibly)
- other platforms supported by Qt
The core features of RSS Guard are:
- support for online feed synchronization via plugins,
- Tiny Tiny RSS (from RSS Guard 3.0.0).
- support for all feed formats,
- import/export of feeds to/from OPML 2.0,
- downloader with own tab and support for up to 6 parallel downloads,
- message filter with regular expressions,
- feed metadata fetching including icons,
- simple Adblock functionality,
- customized popup notifications,
- Google-based auto-completion for internal web browser location bar,
- ability to cleanup internal message database with various options,
- enhanced feed auto-updating with separate time intervals,
- multiple data backend support,
- SQLite (in-memory DBs too),
- is able to specify target database by its name (MySQL backend),
- “portable” mode support with clever auto-detection,
- feed categorization,
- drap-n-drop for feed list,
- automatic checking for updates,
- ability to discover existing feeds on websites,
- full support of podcasts (both RSS & ATOM),
- ability to backup/restore database or settings,
- fully-featured recycle bin,
- printing of messages and any web pages,
- can be fully controlled via keyboard,
- feed authentication (Digest-MD5, BASIC, NTLM-2),
- handles tons of messages & feeds,
- sweet look & feel,
- fully adjustable toolbars (changeable buttons and style),
- ability to check for updates on all platforms + self-updating on Windows,
- hideable main menu, toolbars and list headers,
- KFeanza-based default icon theme + ability to create your own icon themes,
- fully skinnable user interface + ability to create your own skins,
- “newspaper” view,
- plenty of skins,
- support for "feed://" URI scheme,
- ability to hide list of feeds/categories,
- open-source development model based on GNU GPL license, version 3,
- tabbed interface,
- integrated web browser with adjustable behavior + external browser support,
- internal web browser mouse gestures support,
- desktop integration via tray icon,
- localizations to some languages,
- Qt library is the only dependency,
- open-source development model and friendly author waiting for your feedback,
- no ads, no hidden costs.
RSS Guard 4.2.4 changelog:
Intelligent and network-usage-friendly two-way article synchronization is now supported in TT-RSS plugin too. Note that "api_newsplus" plugin must be installed on your TT-RSS instance. (#339)
Mac OS X release of RSS Guard now supports "arm64 Apple Silicon" architecture. (#758)
Google Reader API plugin now supports Miniflux. (#780)
Full-blown drag/drop feed/category reordering/sorting. Behavior is different depending on whether "alphabetic sorting" is enabled or not. (f63af3a)
Windows and Linux official packages now use Qt 6.3.1 or newer. Qt 5.15 is still supported, though.
- Handling of CLI parameters was improved in several places throughout the app. This fixes calling external browsers etc. (#748)
- Tray icon sometimes reported wrong number of new/unread articles. (#754)
- App should handle pinned shortcuts on Windows better and allow it to re-open existing main window of running RSS Guard instance. (#773)
- App sometimes generated empty OPML files. (#774)
- Columns in article list were sometimes wrongly reset to default state. (#778)
- Fixed icon validation for Flatpak release. (#782)
- Skin "nudux-*" was improved. (#783)
- Feeds sorting mode/order is now correctly persistent in all cases. (#784)
- Handling of images in non-webengine article viewer is now better. (#785)
- Better MinGW compatibility when compilling RSS Guard.
- Translations synced.
- Updated docs.
- Specific error strings are now propagated to feed's tooltips properly so user can see specific error messages for feeds.
- Article content layout is now greatly improved as content is automagically converted to HTML when displayed.
- Better date/time handling of incoming e-mails in Gmail plugin.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware