Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc. Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need! Oh, and Rufus is fast. For instance it's about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO (with honorable mention to WiNToBootic for managing to keep up). It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USBs from ISOs. A non-exhaustive list of Rufus supported ISOs is available here.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Rufus 3.7 Build 1570 Beta changelog:
Finalize persistent partition support for Debian and Ubuntu:
- Debian with persistence should work out of the box with any recent Debian Live ISO.
- Ubuntu with persistence should also work IF using a post 2019.08.01 ISO (such as daily-live)
- Note that, because of bug #1489855, trying to use persistence with Ubuntu ISOs that were released before August 2019 will only result in rescue mode during boot - You have been warned!
- Other distros may work with persistence as long as they use a Debian-like or Ubuntu-like method, and, in the case of Ubuntu-like, if they use casper with the #1489855 bugfix.
- Add cheat mode (Alt) to switch between percent completed/transfer rate/time remaining on someoperations [EXPERIMENTAL]
- Report SuperSpeed+ devices in the log (Come on USB-IF, just add "Ludicrous Speed" already!)
- Fix UI checkboxes (Extended label, Fixes for old BIOSes) being cleared on START
- Fix Can't mount GUID volume regression when creating Windows To Go drives [#1351]
- Fix Volume label is invalid error with empty labels on Windows 7 [#1352]
- Fix stale progress bar during standalone ext2/ext3 formatting
- Disable ISO mode for Pop_OS
- Other cosmetic and internal improvements
Download: Rufus 3.7 Build 1570 Beta | 1.0 MB (Open Source)
Link: Rufus Home Page | Project Page @GitHub
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
1 Comment - Add comment