Run programs in a sandbox to prevent malware from making permanent changes to your PC.
Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later.
Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It is being developed by David Xanatos since it became open source, before that it was developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea, which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur). It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie is available in two flavors Plus and Classic. Both have the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. What's different is the user interface the Plus build has a modern Qt based UI which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source. The Classic build has the old no longer developed MFC based UI, hence it lacks support for modern features, these features can however still be used when manually configured in the Sandboxie.ini.
Sandboxie 1.9.6 Plus / Classic 5.64.6 changelog:
- added full stack trace to all trace messages
- added Add option to launch the default notepad editor as non-admin #2987
- fixed an issue with token manipulation in the SbieDrv driver
- fixed "Reset all GUI options" does not reset all GUI sections as expected #2967
- fixed sbie:// links below the Box Type presets #2959
- fixed "Reset all GUI options" makes all sandbox names disappear #2972
- fixed A game can't be launched properly from "Run from Start Menu" #2969
- fixed drag and drop issue with Microsoft Excel data grid 9455e96
- additional feedback for other drag and drop scenarios can be provided in #856
- fixed Regression: DLL loading problem (Entry Point Not Found) #2980
- fixed [1.9.4/5] Sandboxie does not mark deleted files or registry keys while virtualization scheme v2 is active #2984
- fixed SandMan: Timestamp of the Sandboxie.ini #2985
- fixed [Plus UI] Crash after pressing the button "Show NT Object Tree" several times #2943
Download: Sandboxie Plus (64-bit) | Sandboxie Plus (32-bit) ~16.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Sandboxie Classic (64-bit) | Sandboxie Classic (32-bit) ~3.0 MB
Links: Sandboxie Website | Sandboxie Plus Home Page | GitHub | ARM64
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware