Total Commander is a great two-pane file manager replacement for Windows, a program like Windows Explorer to copy, move, or delete files. It includes extra integrated applications like a built-in FTP client with FXP, a renaming tool, a disk space analyzer, a file synchronizer, can pack and unpack files, compare files by content, a quick view panel with bitmap display, HTTP proxy support and more.
Total Commander 9 is compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10. Total Commander is distributed as shareware with a trial period of 30 days, but will continue to function, with a subscription reminder, after that.
Total Commander features include:
- Two file windows side by side
- Multiple language and Unicode support
- Enhanced search function
- Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
- Quick View panel with bitmap display
- ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
- Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
- Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
- Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
- Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
- Compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
- Unicode names almost everywhere, long names (>259 characters), password manager for ftp and plugins, synchronize empty dirs, 64 bit context menu, quick file filter (Ctrl+S)
- USB port connection via special direct transfer cable, partial branch view (Ctrl+Shift+B), and many improvements to ftp, synchronizing and other functions
- And many more!
Total Commander 9.50 changelog:
- Dark mode, starting with Windows XP, full support with Windows 10 1809 (Fall 2018), inofficially also with older Windows versions (ForceDarkModeOptions=1)
- Mouse cursor now jumps to default button if this is enabled in Control Panel under "Mouse"
- Show up to 3 connected USB devices without drive letter (e.g. phones, tablets) also in drive buttonbar
- Increased directory history length to 200 (configurable via HistoryLenStored)
- History: Only show directories in which the user performed some operation (configurable). Alt+Shift+Down arrow shows full history
- Drive dropdown list, drive buttonbar: Show "eject" overlay over drive icon for removable drives
- When scrolling through file lists with the keyboard, keep a margin of 4 lines above/below the current position (configurable)
- Directory panels: Show for hard links/soft links to files instead of 0 size
- Ctrl+Q quick view: Show contents of link target instead of lnk file content
- Configuration - Options - Display: New option "Append \" to show folders as Folder\ instead of [Folder]
- Internal associations: Optional: Add extra verbs from ALL matching filters, default "open" only from the first match
- Show "New" submenu also in context menu for [..] entry, to create new file in current directory
- Windows 10, context menu: Menu item "Share" didn't do anything -> handle it internally
- Quick search dialog: Clear search with Ctrl+Y
- Right click on directory tab -> "Recently closed tabs"
- Show location of Total Commander EXE file in about box
- Archives: Choose codepage when unpacking files, e.g. to unpack names with cyrillic characters. Show [Auto] or chosen encoding in tab header.
- OneDrive folder: Handle folders appearing as file system links
- F5 copy dialog: Support directory hotlist (Ctrl+D)
- Create CRC checksums: New options to use Unix format, and to always use UTF-8
- Support substrings from environment variables, e.g. %variable:~2,3%
FTP / File system plugins
- Transfer from FTP server to FTP server with F5: Option to copy via local PC
- Transfer from/to FTP/FS plugins: Support copy filters like the local file copy function, e.g. *.txt | excludeddir\
- FTP, upload/download with F5 - F2 in background: Support client certificate
- RestrictInterface=6144: Disallow all plugins, or 4096: Only allow plugins with a valid digital signature [full release notes]
Download: Total Commander 9.50 | 7.7 MB (Shareware)
View: Total Commander Website | Android
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
11 Comments - Add comment