apple event wwdc

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#31 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 May 2012 - 00:22

Apple has stuff to say about :
- MacBook Pros (Design + Components upgrade)
- MacBook Airs (Components upgrade)
- Apple Cinema Display (Retina Display)
- Mac Minis (Casual Upgrade)
- iMacs (Components Upgrade)
- Mac Pros (Components Upgrade)
- OS X Mountain Lion
- iOS 6 (New Maps App, Revamped Siri, iCloud, …)
- Next-gen iPhone (Design Upgrade with Bigger Screen, Speed Bump, etc.)
- Apple TV (Siri Integration)
- iCloud (Will be included amongst previous points)
- Siri (Out of beta, New hooks and APIs that Developers will be able to use)
- iTunes 11 (100% Cocoa)
- iWork '12

Since this is a Developers Conference, my bet is on :
- Mac Pros
- OS X 10.8
- iOS 6
- Siri

#32 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:41

- OS X 10.8
- iOS 6
- Siri

I think these three are a certainty.

#33 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:58

Looking forward to an iOS 6 preview.

Something that I thought of earlier this morning: I recall seeing a patent describing face unlocking for the iPad. Whether or not face unlocking will happen isn't really important, but rather if iOS will finally support a multiuser environment. If they made the iPad essentially a standalone computer starting with iOS 5's independence from iTunes, they should take it a step further and better fit in the iPad as a family-friendly device. I'd prefer my mail accounts and Facebook login to remain separate and hidden from view if and when my parents poke at it.

If this will happen then it should be iPad-only as iPhones and maybe iPod touches are obviously single-user devices. The problem then is dealing with the entire collection of apps in the App Store written with the assumption that there is only one user, "mobile," that exists in iOS. Easiest fix would be the OS keeping application installs in the existing /var/mobile/Applications/APPID folder, and for each user to have its own APPID/Documents folder. Each user could also have all app binaries and resources be symbolic links to the originals in /var/mobile/Applications/APPID so that there is no wasted space; also an easy way to keep certain apps hidden from specific users.

A second concern is dealing with notifications appearing on a lock screen; perhaps there could be per-user sections in the lockscreen. And finally, would it be possible to have multiple users logged in at once, or have one user signed in at a time?

#34 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:03

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC. I really did like the 11'' form factor, but the resolution was smaller than I would have liked. The same size with a larger resolution would seal the deal for me.

#35 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:44

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC. I really did like the 11'' form factor, but the resolution was smaller than I would have liked. The same size with a larger resolution would seal the deal for me.

Not sure if I follow your logic here? If Apple releases a MacBook Air with Retina Display all interface elements need to be doubled so chances are you won't actually gain more workspace.

#36 BumbleBritches57

BumbleBritches57

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:07

Anyone else think we might see iTunes 11?

Oh God I hope so.

#37 BumbleBritches57

BumbleBritches57

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:10

Not sure if I follow your logic here? If Apple releases a MacBook Air with Retina Display all interface elements need to be doubled so chances are you won't actually gain more workspace.

Yup, it would have the same physical dimensions, everything would take up the same space, they'd just be bigger and sharper. But I think he means a larger, non Retina resolution.

#38 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:05

Perhaps, but I just want a larger resolution than what is currently possible. We'll see what happens soon, hopefully.

#39 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:10

Perhaps, but I just want a larger resolution than what is currently possible. We'll see what happens soon, hopefully.

You don't come across as being very rational right now… :p

But I think he means a larger, non Retina resolution.

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC.

;)

#40 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:38

Eh, the guy needed the laptop more than I did, anyway. I was probably going to sell the Air regardless soon anyway, since I think I might want to go back to the Pro models, especially if they get the latest processors (Sandy Bridge? Ivy Bridge? I can't remember.)

ML is coming along really nice, too. I've been running the latest build full time on my iMac with no major issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit GM at WWDC or shortly after, perhaps early July, which would make it close to the one-year anniversary of Lion.

#41 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2012 - 19:15

Major versions of iTunes are always announced or released in September, along with the iPod event. Don’t get your hopes up.

#42 El Marto

El Marto

Serial Lurker

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:50

Just got my flight confirmation back from work so ill be at WWDC :) will try and keep you all posted on as much as im allowed to!

#43 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:51

Just got my flight confirmation back from work so ill be at WWDC :) will try and keep you all posted on as much as im allowed to!

I'm so jealous! - Have lots of fun.

#44 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:53

Looking forward to the iOS6 announcements, everything else can swivel for all I care :D

#45 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 June 2012 - 13:28

This discussion is dead, I’ll add a little spicy to it :

I think if new iMacs are to be released on June 11th, they won’t be part of the Keynote, but they will be released on Apple’s site and will be a small icon on the front page, just below their big marketing ad (OS X 10.8 side-to-side with iOS 6 maybe ?). Same with MacBook Pros. However, Mac Pros will definitely be part of the Keynote.

Also, they apparently want to re-do the entire iTunes Store and App Store with a whole new interactive interface. Maybe iTunes 11 isn’t too much to ask in the end ? Could be nice if it were built right into OS X 10.8.0.