Apple's WWDC 2012 event

This discussion is dead, I?ll add a little spicy to it :

One week to go. I'll bite.

What I think the keynote will be like:

1. Sales figures, How many devices & apps sold, etc...

2. OS X Mountain Lion + new features

3. New iCloud features

4. iOS 6 + new features

5. Last but not least: New MacBook Pro's

Also, we will probably only see a Beta release of iTunes 10.7 for iOS 6 Beta. I don't count on seeing iTunes 11 at this event.

It would be nice if they release iWork '12 for once.

• Like 1

iWork '12 with a language as powerful as VBA for Office, and/or with millions of Automator actions to, you know, make things user-friendly. That would definitely have its place in a dev Keynote.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of Mac users don't even know of Automator's existence, let alone realize what it's actually for. :p An iWork update is long overdue. I'm really hoping it's because Apple's planning something big, but I don't really count on it.

I finally had the chance to install the latest OS X Mountain Lion build but was severely underwhelmed by what it offered compared to OS X Lion. Sure, there are some nice (what I'd like to call) "tweaks" but feature-wise it won't really change my Mac experience. That said it seems to be easier on my iMac like what it used to be with OS X Snow Leopard (fans not spinning up as much).

Too soon for the iPhone 5?

Yeah. The following has been true of all the iPhone updates so far:

- The new iPhone ships with a new version of iOS.

- The new version of iOS is always previewed several months before it is released.

Since there was no iOS preview event in March-April this year, we will probably see it previewed at WWDC and released in the fall along with the new iPhone.

I really think Apple need to make some new commitment to the desktop market with some kind of new model or at least a proper ground-up reworking of something like the iMac. I really feel they've been coasting in that area for a while and just riding the tidal wave of iPhone and iPad sales.

The iMac saw a redesign 2,5 years ago, traditionally every single case design lasted for about an average of three years. The Mac mini saw a big redesign two years ago. Not entirely sure why some people expect the company to pump out something major every single year and complain if they don't. The only exception being the Mac Pro, which is obviously long overdue for a proper update.

• Like 1

Apple to update most of its Mac lineup and multiple accessories at WWDC

ne-macs.png?w=657&h=141

While Apple has major software announcements planned for the upcoming World Wide Developers Conference ? including iOS 6, an updated version of iCloud, and OS X Mountain Lion? Apple is also planning some incredible hardware announcements. Not iOS hardware, but Mac hardware. We have already reported that Apple will introduce a brand-new 15-inch MacBook Proat WWDC with a thinner design, high-resolution Retina Display, and faster I/O, and now we?re hearing that the new MacBook Pro will only make up one component of Apple?s hardware announcements.

In fact, WWDC 2012 might be the biggest simultaneous launch of new Macs in Apple?s history?

Read more

What !? Worst thing is, they?re all overdue. It IS actually possible.

Do you think they?re heading for a simultaneous launch because all these computers will have a new component in common ?

Do you think they?re heading for a simultaneous launch because all these computers will have a new component in common ?

Intel Ivy Bridge.

I guess is was wrong if this turns out to be true. :p

If they can make the iMacs and the Apple Cinema displays as thin as the iPads or Macbooks, that'd be pretty bad ass. :D

If they can make the iMacs and the Apple Cinema displays as thin as the iPads or Macbooks, that'd be pretty bad ass. :D

The iMac is currently pretty much as thin as the MacBook Pro. Slimming it down to an iPad-like thickness will have a huge impact on performance.

You have a point. I'm also wondering about the Retina Display being on Macs and how would they'd affect the way designers view things. I've always wanted a monitor so powerful.

What !? Worst thing is, they?re all overdue. It IS actually possible.

Retina display:

- iMac

- MacBook Pro

- MacBook Air

- Thunderbolt display

And what .Neo said. Ivy Bridge:

- iMac

- Mac mini

- MacBook Pro

- MacBook Air

The iMac is currently pretty much as thin as the MacBook Pro. Slimming it down to an iPad-like thickness will have a huge impact on performance.

They should at least find a way to reduce the iMac chin.

Retina display:

- iMac

A 27-inch iMac @ x2 will have a 5120 x 2880 resolution monitor. I have honestly no idea how they'll power such a resolution in a reasonable all-in-one design, let alone when hooking up a secondary one. If Apple decides to use a lower resolution but still increases interface elements by x2 means you'll have to give up workspace compared to the current 27-inch iMac. :/

And incorporate a retina display? Do you also expect it to do your dishes and make fresh coffee? :p

Yep, retina display and Ivy Bridge. You nailed it. I?m wondering, if it?s true, how they?ve been able to produce so many quantities of different sizes of Retina displays. They had problems with that back with the iPhone 4. I believe we will count the shipping time for these computers in terms of weeks, with the fingers of two hands :-/

My iMac 27" is probably twice as thick as my MacBook Pro 13". Did they make them thinner over the time ?

A 27-inch iMac @ x2 will have a 5120 x 2880 resolution monitor. I have honestly no idea how they'll power such a resolution in a reasonable all-in-one design, let alone when hooking up a secondary one. If Apple decides to use a lower resolution but still increases interface elements by x2 means you'll have to give up workspace compared to the current 27-inch iMac. :/

I get your point. But it would be strange to have 13, 15 and 17" MacBooks with a higher resolution than a 27" iMac / Thunderbolt Display.

Also, good luck finding wallpapers for the 2012 Macs.

And incorporate a retina display? Do you also expect it to do your dishes and make fresh coffee? :p

Sure, sometime in the future. :p

My guess is only the 11-13-inch MacBooks will get a retina display. Imagine the costs of anything higher... Also how's a MacBook Air going to power a 27-inch Cinema Display with retina screen? There are just too many practical issues. I'd be genuinely surprised if other Macs do get a retina screen, but early adopters will probably see a fair share of performance issues when running GPU intensive tasks.

PS Here's an interesting fact: Ivy Birdge supports resolutions of up to 4096 x 4096 (or when applied 4096 x 2304), which means a MacBook Air (if they're still being called that way) will be unable to power a 27-inch iMac or Cinema Display with x2 retina screen.

PPS The maximum resolution was discussed in a bunch of articles some while ago, but I can't find anything on what the commerically available Intel HD Graphics 4000 actually support.

There's not going to be any retina cinema monitors released this year. :rofl:

If we're lucky, we'll get retina Macbook airs, but I think that might even be out of the question, there are some screenshots floating around now of the 13'' Macbook with USB3 and the same resolution it has currently.

They could do it as the current ATi chips will easily handle a resolution that large. Remember you can drive 6 x 30" displays off a single HD 5870 Eyefinity Edition, quite an old card and the only thing that makes it special is its Six Mini Display Ports. The newer 7 series cards are even faster than that and actually support 4K displays. All the latest 6 and 7 series can handle over a billion pixels per second.

Here is some information on the new 7 Series cards and their support for 4K Displays:

JumvV.png

Click the image to view the source.

A 27-inch iMac @ x2 would have a 5K resolution though, not 4K.

Whilst what you say is accurate the cards can handle 5K and above resolutions. You have to keep in mind that the cards themselves can handle up to 5x 4K resolution displays at once and the only limiting factor is the display port connector. In Apples case they could simply engineer a direct connection to the GPU and bypass the display port transfer method that the HD 7 series GPU's are meant to be used with.

Just like when they wanted to launch the original 30" display and came up with Dual-Link DVI. The GPU could handle 2560x1600 but the DVI cables at the time couldn't so they came up with the new standard to fulfil their products needs.

There is no doubt in my mind they could equip the new iMacs with a 5K resolution display if they desired. But we don't know if they will go that way they could simply stop at 4K and not do doubling. Afterall the iMac already has the same horizontal resolution as a 30" display in a 27" form factor so they don't seem overly fussed about keeping to specific pixel densities. The old 30" ACD was 100 PPI while the 27" is 108 PPI. They could just push it to 4096 x 2160 and call it a day.

I thought the same, why not have em in a perfect round border rectangle display.

Whilst what you say is accurate the cards can handle 5K and above resolutions. You have to keep in mind that the cards themselves can handle up to 5x 4K resolution displays at once and the only limiting factor is the display port connector. In Apples case they could simply engineer a direct connection to the GPU and bypass the display port transfer method that the HD 7 series GPU's are meant to be used with.

Just like when they wanted to launch the original 30" display and came up with Dual-Link DVI. The GPU could handle 2560x1600 but the DVI cables at the time couldn't so they came up with the new standard to fulfil their products needs.

There is no doubt in my mind they could equip the new iMacs with a 5K resolution display if they desired. But we don't know if they will go that way they could simply stop at 4K and not do doubling. Afterall the iMac already has the same horizontal resolution as a 30" display in a 27" form factor so they don't seem overly fussed about keeping to specific pixel densities. The old 30" ACD was 100 PPI while the 27" is 108 PPI. They could just push it to 4096 x 2160 and call it a day.

I'd imagine having an iMac 27" with 2 Cinema Displays, all running at the 4-5K. I suppose that would be devastating performance overhauling?